• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Upper Receiver

Yes, I just need an upper. I have a complete Del-ton HBAR 5.56, so the lower of that is what the upper would go on to.

Well, I'm not going to knock a RRA lower ( especially since I own one :-) but, a good quality lower is a good quality lower. If RRA states that their upper shoots 3/4 MOA at 100 yrds with their lower, well, should do it with any other quality lower. I think the fire control group makes a difference, hard to do that with a 8-9lb trigger! :lol2:

Their lower uses their NM which is 4.5lb pull on it. So, if you have a good quality trigger, and use their upper, it will probably shoot more accurately than you ever will. Not to knock your shooting ability, but most of these rifles shoot better than we can :D Just the fact's ma'm.

And the White Oak barrels are very good too...but to what end....1/2 MOA...I don't really think that would even matter to be honest. At least not worth the money anyways...but this is how I think. Just sharing some of them with you.

Good luck with your choices. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    BTW I use the ALG Combat trigger group with a Wolfe 25% reduced trigger and disconnect spring, and this puts me at 5-5.5lb smooth pull for about $75. I have seen RRA NM fire control groups on sale for $89.99 but they are usually around $100 or so.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I have an Armalite AR10-B (uses their proprietary steel magazines). No bs it is a big heavy gun. Add a scope, magazine and put a better than stock, stock on the rear and it only gets heavier. For a 'bought' gun out of the box I have no real complaints. Trigger is very crisp, forged construction, fitment between the upper/lower was better than everyone else.

It is a 7.62 marked receiver/barrel but Armalite considers .308/7.62 interchangeable and most regular mainstream ammunition choices list both on the same box anyways.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I don't need the best trigger EVER to shoot bambis , would be within 50 yards probably anyway. It's pretty thick back where I am probably going to put a stand, that's were all the deer trails seem to be, and where tresspassers don't seem to be. Though by deer season, the posted signs, metal posts and blue painted trees should have given them a whole bunch of clues. Not to mention the signs that say " caution: shooting range" LOL. Nature is even helping. A big tree fell across the double 4 wheeler path in the back where they sneak in from. As an aside, I am hoping to have a lot of fat raccoons off my corn, so I can trap many fine furs.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    BTW I think I'll go for the coyote carbine upper. I REALLY like the name "coyote" in it LOL. Thanks to whomever mentioned RRA.

Now to sell that ultra rare Sampson furred fox mount I have on ebay, it will pretty much pay for that upper.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    would be within 50 yards probably anyway.

For shorter distance, have you considered the 300blk? Only one part is different than what you have now (the barrel.) Build a new upper and keep you old BCG. 6.8SPC has about a 15% more muzzle energy and really shines at longer distances but the 300blk was designed for shorter distances. Under 200yds they seem fairly close (except the aforementioned 15% energy advantage the 6.8spc has.) Just another thought/option if you are really that close.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Ed I'm building one off of a MATEN receiver set that - when it is finished - I'd love to get your opinion on. I suspect I am addressing most if not all of your concerns.
    I'll shoot you a PM when its done If you're interested.

Just for understanding I'm in a 16 week wait for a pair of match barrels so it'll be a while

Fox, you too...happy to get your opinion

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Fox, I'll be honest. I use a RRA LAR-8 for deer hunting in the backwoods of WV. It is the mid-length A4 carbine, and I like it, but it is a heavy SOB. When field ready, with a full mag +1, scope, and sling on that LAR-8, it weighs in at about 10-11 pounds. It isn't a light platform, but it does what I need it to do. With handloads, I have been able to get <.75 MOA @ 100 yards with a 165 SGK out of the LAR-8.

My dad still goes out with a 30-06 bolt, knowing full well that there are now about 3 metric tons of bears in the area. I value my life a bit more so I tend to go out with the ability to lay down some decent firepower, should I need to.

Last edited:

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Fox trapper after reading your post thought you would get a kick out of one of my AR-10 custom lowers. It's a armalite 10 Gen. B

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 181

MaraD

The Tall Girl
    Aug 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Foxtrapper, I've owned an M&P 10 for about a 10 months now. Its a nice gun to shoot, however, I did make a couple of modifications to it to improve its usability (at least in my opinion). I replaced the standard flash suppressor with a Grizzly Gunworks muzzle break which made a huge difference in realized recoil and greatly improved my ability to keep the gun on target for a follow up shot. I also replaced the plastic handguard with a Troy Industries MRF308 free floating hand guard (required a gas block change also). With my scope mounted, the modified M&P 10 weighs just a bit under 11 lbs empty which makes it kind of hard for me to shoot accurately free hand over 50 yards (the guys with greater upper body strength might have an easier time with this than I). As for accuracy, it shoots around 1 MOA at 100 yds with 168 gr rounds.

If you go the AR-10 route, be advised that AR-10 parts are not always interchangeable between manufacturers like AR-15's are.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Who did the engraving and anodizing?

I did the engraving on a 3 axis Hoss CNC .I had American Plating out of Balt. Do the anodizing. Those guys were great to deal with. Since they don't have an FFL I made an appointment ,went in and waited with my lower and walked out 2 hrs. Later done !

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Knowing that you hunt and trap and are one of the VERY few people around that will actually use the rifle away from the range and more than 10 feet from the truck, I'd suggest the AR-10 is an ugly, awkward beast to carry around.

Everything that makes the AR-15 delightful is lost when scaled up. I carried one for two days in Garrett County scouting/hunting coyotes and when I got home, it went to the back of the safe. The guy I bought it from wanted it back one day and I was very happy to comply.The only reason to pay $2100 for a SIG is if you like reading that word.

DSA isn't too bad, DPMS is probably the leader, but it really depends on what you want it for. If for precision, I'd look at DPMS, if for a utlity/battle rifle, the field opens up and if it's properly made, it's GTG.

One thing to be aware of is that not all AR-10 magazines are equal and there are "Armalite style" mags and "DPMS style" mags.It is the same as the 5.56 x .223, except different.

A 5.56 generates more pressure and the chamber throat is longer than a .223, so if it is marked "5.56", it will safely handle both .223s and 5.56s.

The .308 generates more pressure than 7.61x51, so if a rifle is marked ".308", it will safely handle both 7.62x51s and .308s. Most AR-10s are intended to run (lower) 7.62x51 pressures, so check carefully.Handling one for a while may change your mind. Put an empty mag in it and try to carry it with one hand or cradle it across your forearm or lay it up over your shoulder...Try not to throw it down and kick it, just politely hand it back to the clerk...Lots to be said for FU Frosh, but I'd personally consider a larger caliber for the AR-15 before going to an AR-10.

Good luck!

Everything Ed said is right on the money. I hunted with mine one year and it wasn't fun to carry. This year I switch to my 300 aac blackout and it was a lot easier to carry and use. I had no problem killing deer with it either.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I like the FU O'Malley, but how about a Frosh Special?

The reason I want the 6.8 is I had posted about deer hunting with AR's in the outdoor section a while back, and the 6.8 was highly recommended.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you've ever humped a SAW or an M-60, you wouldn't complain about the weight of an AR10. But if you want a lightweight model, look at the LaRue PredatAR.

http://www.laruetactical.com/16”-larue-tactical-predatar-762

More expensive? Yep. But you get the accuracy of a heavy barrel, the power of a 7.62, and the weight of a slightly heavy AR15.
    Buddy of mine just finally got his.. don't be in a hurry for it, but... they build a hell of a weapon. The fit and finish is second to none.

I have both a 308 in AR and the 300AAC. The 300AAC would definitely get the job done out to about 200yds, beyond that it starts to drop off fast. I really like the 300blk caliber, very versatile, can be loaded subsonic or zip rounds downrange pretty darned quickly. My first is a pistol build, getting ready to SBR that and will soon build a rifle that would be a little better suited for deer and other med game.

The 308 I built for long range shooting and yes, it is heavy (about 12lbs loaded with a 22" match barrel), but mine is well balanced and shoots like a bandit. That said, it is probably more comfortable to carry over my bull barreled 223 varminter for long hikes, but the Varminator gets a workout this time of year with the whistle pigs coming out of hiding.. :D

Availability of ammo would also be a consideration for me, as the 300blackout ammo is pricey, not sure about 6.8spc, but I suspect the same, unless you reload, those can be tough. The 308 on the other hand, readily available in a wide variety of boolit styles and weights and will surely get a deer down without any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom