• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    STI Spartan .45acp 1911 Review (I finally shot it!)

It's pretty sweet. There's no rattle whatsoever. My understanding is that that's good so if that's the case then this thing is perfect. It does not jiggle, jingle or shake or any other synonym I can come up with. Holding it in your hand and shaking is like having a solid piece of metal. That was pretty cool.

This is my first 1911 and thus my first experience cleaning one. I tried following the instructions in the book and holy crap were they terrible. I spent 10 minutes trying to get the full length guide rod out before finally searching youtube. Bam, 2 minute video of take down and assembly. Use the darn barrel wrench lol. I cleaned it, lubed it with 0w-40 Mobil 1 (thanks Chad) and grabbed some mags I had loaded to test out.

Now the bad, and no the gun's fault I do not believe.

C-PRODUCTS 1911 MAGS ARE HORRIBLE

Pros: $10 each

Cons: Worth no where near that.
    ~Would not lock open on last round
    ~Would not feed from a closed slide

I have 4 and tried repeatedly with all four several times. Not once did they lock open or feed if I sat the mag on a closed slide. That doesn't even make them useful for range duty only. I'll be calling aimsurplus.com and seeing what they'll do for me. This was quite the let down.

The supplied magazine seemed to function fine with me wracking the slide. Every round fed regardless of how the mag went in, it locked open every time and the loaded round was tossed pretty far and out of the way every time.

Actual range report expected Tuesday or Monday.

Good night everyone :D

(and thanks again to the Gun Shop and Rehda the French guy who lent me the locks :party29:)

I finally shot it! I'm new to the 1911 platform, my only other experience with a 1911 is my Step Dad's Colt National Match. The trigger on my STI isn't bad. It has a set screw which I need to use to take out the slack I believe. It's not a bad trigger, it's just not as good as the Colt's. Out of the box the gun was shooting like 8" low at 7 yards (I think) and about a foot left at 25 yards (I think). I say "I think" because of my inexperience. But I'm also a decent enough shot with a pistol (MKIII and G22) and my groups with the 1911 were consistent and consistently off. So I'm inclined to believe it's the sights being off. In a few weeks I'd love to go to On-Target with someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing and help me get it sighted in.

Reliability, I put about 150 rounds through it. My buddy says he had one "jam of some kind". but I have no idea what actually happened because I was two lanes over blasted holes with my PLR-16. But for me it ran flawlessly, I lubed it with 0w40 Mobil 1 (applied with a syringe lol).

I read someone say something about how their 1911 was so great because it "could almost feed empty cases". Well, my STI Spartan does feed empty cases. Over and over and over. If that matters to anyone, I'll tell you it does.

Ammo used was Walmart Federal and some Blazer aluminium case, 230gr FMJ ball ammo. Once I find a sight that has everything I need I'm going to load up some lead truncated cones and see if it handles those.

Last edited:

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    all the Chip McCormick mags that I have work without a hitch. I have 8 and 10 round mags. (for the 1911 single stack, I think the Spartan is single stack?)

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Congrats! Nice pistol can't wait to see pictures. I've had great success with mec-gar, S&W, Novaks, and Wilson Combat mags. Like mentioned before I hear that chip McCormack mags are top knotch. With 1911s I only use the really good mags cause I've had problems with GI looking 7 rounders. My Wilson combat mag is the only GI mag I have that works in my 1911s.

aefc7b21-8685-bd75.jpg

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    What's with people reviewing guns they haven't shot yet? Of course you're going to be madly in love with a new gun.

Oh yeah, pictures please!

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    I have an idea folks. If you have not taken your beloved new firearm to the range please state that you are giving it a "First Observation". That way Kilroy will know not to look at your post if he is speed reviewing for a purchase he may make. Time is money folks. Be considerate to people surfing for a new buy with an expectation of a title for a post.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008

Sorry, I wanted to sleep after working all night lol.

What's with people reviewing guns they haven't shot yet? Of course you're going to be madly in love with a new gun.

Oh yeah, pictures please!

The first sentence plainly stated I hadn't shot it yet lol. I wanted to give my initial impression and talk smack about the C-Product mags. Pics to follow

Attachments

• 1911.jpg
      1911.jpg
      98.6 KB · Views: 1,011

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im glad you got a good deal and The Gun Shop took care of you.

Zombie, Dont let the naysayers get to you. I dont see many of these master complainers do any "Firts Looks", "Reviews", "Torture Tests", "Instructional/Technical Info".

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Thanks all, I'm looking forward to getting it to the range. Then I'll post pics of targets (which will probably be terrible as I am going to need some trigger time on this thing) and review how it functions. I'm really looking forward to learning what I do and don't like and what to change to make it truely mine.

Also got in my .45acp dies for my Lee turret :D and my tumbler to make my brass all shiney

DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    If its your 1st then at least you bought something good. C products are garbage just spend the money on quality mags. Thats like remodeling your bathroom only to have a 5 gallon bucket to back one out into.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    If its your 1st then at least you bought something good. C products are garbage just spend the money on quality mags. Thats like remodeling your bathroom only to have a 5 gallon bucket to back one out into.

:lol: at the 5gal bucket comment. You're totally right though. I bought them on a whim, added them to an order I was already placing. I had read several bad reviews but rolled the dice and came up losing. Oh well, we'll see what aimsurplus does or I'll email c-products. I'm going to order some CMC mags from midwayusa this week. The 10 rounders have good reviews and I'll get some regular 7 and 8 round mags. Damn thing is heavy enough with just the 8 rounds in it. Maybe I'll call out of work tomorrow and go shooting instead...

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Updated the OP and ordered a bunch of mags from MidwayUSA. Hope this helps people, I think it's a great gun for $700.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    STI make a nice pistol - Good luck with it.

You do know that RIA makes this gun. STI supplies the internals but the frame and slide and some other parts are the same as what RIA uses.

zombiehunter, with the exception of grips, do not do a thing to that gun until you have shot at least 500-1,000 rounds. Get used to it. Shoot it until your hand and wallet hurt. By that point, you will then get to know the gun and you can make an informed decision on what to upgrade.

Good luck with the gun. In a while you will be looking at other 1911's and wanting a second and then third.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I've tried a good number of mags for my 1911A1s and feel CMCs and Wilsons are the best.

The General Shaver mags from my Remington Rand work pretty good too. :)

MikeC, Are you saying the STI is an Arms Corp with fitted parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom