• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have a 700 AAC budget build, B&C M40 stock, Jewell trigger, bolt knob and it shoots OK. On average it shoots 175s at 3/4 MOA @ 100 yards. I've shot fclass a few times with it but much prefer another rifle for that.

Savages shoot well out of the box, why the dislike?

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I know it sounds shallow, and the "form follows function..."....but I don't care for the cosmetics.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If you go for the Walmart or Dicks Remington and build it up in stages as the budget permits, you will essentially be financing the end result over time while still being able to shoot and enjoy it along the way.

That was my plan with a Dicks sale priced 700 varmint model in .223. So far I've been doing more of the "shoot and enjoy it" part than building...but I still say it's a solid plan.:D

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I know it sounds shallow, and the "form follows function..."....but I don't care for the cosmetics.

Hey man, it's your had earned money, spend it how you want.

To each their own, I can forgive some of the aesthetics when they consistently shoot well.

I agree with you in this one, I'm actually more of a savage fan boy than I ever thought I would be.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    bud's has the 700 short action (just the action) in .308, carbon steel, for $357. Hmmmmm

StickerLT

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick County
    OP, I went the budget precision route on a rifle last year. It has been anything but "budget". Next time around I'll "buy once - cry once".

That being said, here's what it was/is, and my experience with it for your info.

Stock off the shelf Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 20 inch barrel 1/12 twist, with the black Hogue stock.

I had scope base, mounts, and an optic from a previous rifle. Badger one-piece base, Burris 30 mm low rings, Leupold Mark4 LRT 6-20 x 50.

With reloads it was consistently MOA out to 200 yards. (longest range I had available at the time) It was a good shooter w/ a variety of factory ammo as well. That being said it had failure to feed issues. And, when it did cycle it left long deep scratches on the cases. The trigger sucked (was a recall rifle) the bottom "metal" was cheap feeling. The mag well metal was funky, and the follower was thin and stamped. Overall it had some QA/QC issues.

First I resolved the feeding issues, which took new mag well metal/ spring and a solid follower. I lightly polished all things that contacted ammo, polished the follower surface, and feeding problem was fixed..

About that time I heard about the trigger recall, so I installed a new Timney. Very nice for the money.

Next I swapped the plastic Hogue for a B&C M40 Medalist stock. The B&C M40 is sweet, it was a drop it fit, no issues.

In for a penny, in for a pound....so next I said bye-bye to the bottom metal. Bought and installed PTG Orendorf (sp) metal/trigger guard.

With the improvements, the rifle is sub MOA out to 300 yards when I don't screw it up. Best 5 shot group w/ reloads was .5 MOA at 200. No wind.

Money wise, I didn't save anything. Probably could have bought I very nice higher end or decent custom for the same. And the amount of time messing with it was a lot. Hope you find this helpful, good luck.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll second Sticker, my .260 was intended to be a budget build - but that budget fast became a distant memory. :)

Yoshi, the only thing I can think of for the Savages, is the look of the accutrigger, or the barrel nut (although going to a smooth barrel nut helps it blend in).

My gripe is that bit of play between the bolt body and the receiver, but that's easy to address with the oversize bolt body from PTG.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Four of the last five centerfire rifles I've bought have been Savage.
    Each purchase, for me the same three thoughts.

Leery of Remington nowadays.

No, the Savage won't be pretty.

But, the Savage is going to have a decent factory trigger. And unless you're unfortunate enough to find one that was built at quitting time on a Friday before a holiday weekend, the damned thing is going to shoot.

StickerLT

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick County
    bud's has the 700 short action (just the action) in .308, carbon steel, for $357. Hmmmmm

Just ordered one, thanks. could . not. resist. If you order, use Make an Offer...$350 got it done.

I'll second Sticker, my .260 was intended to be a budget build - but that budget fast became a distant memory. :)

Yoshi, the only thing I can think of for the Savages, is the look of the accutrigger, or the barrel nut (although going to a smooth barrel nut helps it blend in).

My gripe is that bit of play between the bolt body and the receiver, but that's easy to address with the oversize bolt body from PTG.

BradMac, your thread on the 260 remington has caused me to want one....lol.
    The more I read about it, and the 6.5 family the more I like.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I'll seconllllld Sticker, my .260 was intended to be a budget build - but that budget fast became a distant memory. :)

My first precision rifle was around $1100:
    Savage Model 10 PC
    SWFA Super Sniper
    Badger rings
    Harris Bipod

Great shooter!

OP, you should really think about a Savage. I shoot an Accuracy International and I am in the market for another Savage. If not, I think the FN is your best bet, but a Remmy could work too.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My firsy precision rifle was around $1100:
    Savage Model 10 PC
    SWFA Super Sniper
    Badger rings
    Harris Bipod

Great shooter!

OP, you should really think about a Savage. I shoot an Accuracy International and I am in the market for another Savage. If not, I think the FN is your best bet, but a Remmy could work too.

Between the 3 stocks I went thru, the variety of rings and bases trying to get 1 scope to work that just wouldn't behave - I don't want to think about what I have in mine.

I've shot 2 FN rifles, and I'm inclined to agree with you there. Of the options Trumpet listed, an FN wouldn't be a bad way to go IMO.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Four of the last five centerfire rifles I've bought have been Savage.
    Each purchase, for me the same three thoughts.

Leery of Remington nowadays.

No, the Savage won't be pretty.

But, the Savage is going to have a decent factory trigger. And unless you're unfortunate enough to find one that was built at quitting time on a Friday before a holiday weekend, the damned thing is going to shoot.

Learning a few things here. Bought a Savage 10FP SR .308 HB, 22" TB. Have not set it up yet. Looking for suggestions as to mounts and rings. I have a few scopes I will try out. Is barrel changing easy on a Savage as it appears to indicate on these threads. How hard to rechamber to .260?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Learning a few things here. Bought a Savage 10FP SR .308 HB, 22" TB. Have not set it up yet. Looking for suggestions as to mounts and rings. I have a few scopes I will try out. Is barrel changing easy on a Savage as it appears to indicate on these threads. How hard to rechamber to .260?

Rico, if you want - I'll do a thread in gunsmithing outlining what I went thru to re-barrel my 10FP-LE to a .260 so we don't completely derail Rich's thread.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    savage 110 30-06 $430
    choate tactical $220
    ershaw ,varmint contour, 1/10, threaded, 4140, mat blued $285 with out threaded $175
    swfa ss 20x42 $300
    weaver rings and base $65
    harris bipod standard $45

$1345 with threaded barrel
    $1235 with out threads

1000 yard rifle

3006 is really cheap to shoot compared to others even 308.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I built a custom rifle last year using the stiller action. Figured instead of buying a used gun and retro fitting it id buy a perfect action and build it up from there. I will say this, it is one of the smoothest bolt actions ive used. Here is my basic build list

Stiller predator short action reciever
    Shilen 26" stainless steel barrel for .223
    Jewel 3-8oz single action adjustable trigger
    Wyatt outdoors detable magazine and trigger guard kit
    Bell and carlson tactical medalist style 5 fully adjustable stock
    Vortex scope that slips my mind same with the rings
    And a $40 wally world bipod

It turned into quite an expensive project but it is one of the smoothest actions ive used and one of the most consistent rifles ive ever shotten.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I built a custom rifle last year using the stiller action. Figured instead of buying a used gun and retro fitting it id buy a perfect action and build it up from there. I will say this, it is one of the smoothest bolt actions ive used. Here is my basic build list

Stiller predator short action reciever
    Shilen 26" stainless steel barrel for .223
    Jewel 3-8oz single action adjustable trigger
    Wyatt outdoors detable magazine and trigger guard kit
    Bell and carlson tactical medalist style 5 fully adjustable stock
    Vortex scope that slips my mind same with the rings
    And a $40 wally world bipod

It turned into quite an expensive project but it is one of the smoothest actions ive used and one of the most consistent rifles ive ever shotten.

Why did you go with the Jewel over the Timney?

I think I am going to get the Bighorn Action and have it threaded for Savage pre-fit barrels. Probably going to get a Manners stock w/ the mini-chasisis. Although, the XLR Carbon has been good to me... Decisions, decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom