• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Does anybody sell 7.62x39 AR-15 Barrels or complete uppers in 18" or 20" lengths? I see Model 1 Sales sells an Upper, but people say they are horrible. I'm looking for a quality barrel for maximum accuracy and might just have to build an upper if no-one sells an decent complete upper in those barrel lengths. Ive only built lowers, what tools do you need to build an upper besides a barrel wrench and punches? Do I need headspace gauges or feeler gauges? What brand would you reccomend for a bolt/bolt carrier group for 7.62x39? Also, do I need to change buffers or springs? I currently have a 5.56 AR I built with the Standard A2 Rifle Buttstock and Buffer Tube.

Thanks-

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    If you cant find one you could try "Ordnance Direct Company". The website is terrible but dont let that deter you. I could not find a 9mm barrel that I wanted so I had them custom make one for me and the price was great as well. Had a great experience with them and barrel is great. Worth a shot if you cant find what you want.

http://www.ordnancedirect.com/

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Not quite, but I don't think it gains much past 16". Maybe 200-300fps. But, the SKS, the original rifle the 7.62x39 was designed for had/has a 20" barrel. You get longer sight radius too.

Ill check into those other options.

Thanks-

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Not quite, but I don't think it gains much past 16". Maybe 200-300fps. But, the SKS, the original rifle the 7.62x39 was designed for had/has a 20" barrel. You get longer sight radius too.

Ill check into those other options.

Thanks-

Nope its less than a 100 fps difference between a 16 and a 20, so about 25fps per inch. Which is basically nothing. Sight radius is another story, but ballistically they are basically the same.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    With the AR, there is also the issue of the short gas systems vs the longer ones. Mid Length and Rifle length gas systems are better for reliability and longevity. Carbine gas systems get hot.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I never understood this option in an AR.

Why not just build a 300BLK instead? Much great parts availability and you don't have to deal with the silly mag issue.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Mark at Precision Firearms has some nice 7.62x39 uppers and he is a IP. I bought 1 from him about 4 years ago and love it !!

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    There's that silly issue of cost. 300blk is 4x+ more expensive. During the panic x39 was a ton cheaper than 5.56 too.

Yepp. I've thought about .300 Blackout. But, its almost as much as 6.8 SPC. But, for those who reload, it can be created from .223 brass. I think its cheap to reload for. I don't like the fact though that it will chamber in a .223 chambering. Have to be careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom