• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    It sure looks great for the price. I don't think I could talk you out of it. In fact... You probably just talked me INTO it. Thanks.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    I can't figure out at what power the ranging/mil grads are correct for. Im guessing 4x? but can't find that info.

Wonder how it compares to the 1-4 FFP Bushnells (I have a couple of those.) Their bullet drop reticle is simpler but works really well (even have one on a .308 PTR91) Street price on those is just under $200.

Based on this -

" Utilizing the Illuminated Mil-Quad DM reticle in the second focal plane gives you better target acquisition in CQB scenarios while maintaining its ability to range and provide aiming points at max power. "

I'd say at 4x.

I kind of wish it had hash marks every 1/2 mil instead of just at every 1 mil. That would make shooting out to 400 and 500 yards better IMO. A red dot with a 200 yard zero can shoot out to 300 yards pretty well. If I did not already have an EoTech, I'd probably buy the scope, but since I do have a red dot already, I'm trying to decide whether this scope is worth replacing my EoTech with.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm not sure of the utility of the mil-quad DM or the 1 mil hash marks. With a 200 yard zero and shooting at something at 100 yards, POI is only off by 2" from POA. At 300 yards, POI is only off by 7" from POA. Shooting past 300 yards is where it gets difficult without hash marks as the drop at 400 yards, for example is 22.5" and can be more difficult to estimate. According to my calc using xm193, 400 yards is 1.6 mils up. 500 yards is 2.7 mils up. Yet this scope only has hashes every 1 mil.

So, in sum, I like the ranging ability as it is probably quicker for me than counting mils and doing the math. I probably won't use the hold-offs for 100 or 300 yards (well I might after getting used to it, and I'm probably more likely to use 300 hold-off than 100). The mil-quad may come in handy for close in, although I think I prefer their old donut style. The mils are helpful for 300 plus, but I wish they were more precise. That being said, for $300, I'd probably easily get it before an EoTech or Aimpoint, if I didn't already have one.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have two SWFA scopes and couldn't be happier with them. 1-6x HD and their original fixed 10x.

Great scopes and glass for the $$$. I believe they are assembled in a TASCO factory as my first one came with literature from TASCO.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    I have two SWFA scopes and couldn't be happier with them. 1-6x HD and their original fixed 10x.

Great scopes and glass for the $$$. I believe they are assembled in a TASCO factory as my first one came with literature from TASCO.

I have a 1-6x HD too, and am happy with it given I bought it during black Friday for $200 off. My only complaints, which aren't really deal breakers for me, are that it's heavy, the illumination could be brighter, and the turrets could be smaller since I set it and forget it. All that being said, I still think it's a great scope.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    If I didn't already have a PST 1-4 I'd be ordering one of these. Saw a thread on em on Snipers Hide.

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator
    I have a 1-6x HD too, and am happy with it given I bought it during black Friday for $200 off. My only complaints, which aren't really deal breakers for me, are that it's heavy, the illumination could be brighter, and the turrets could be smaller since I set it and forget it. All that being said, I still think it's a great scope.

Hopefully the 1-6 will go on sale again this year, I have cash in hand ready for it...

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Pretty damn hard to argue against, but I think the Bushnell 1-4x Throw Down is a slightly better deal if you prefer FFP and like the M193 BDC. Otherwise, I like the SWFA, too.

Good to know.

Hopefully the 1-6 will go on sale again this year, I have cash in hand ready for it...

This might be a better option especially shooting anything longer than 5.56 (300m- 400m).

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I agree they're heavy, but name a 1-6x scope with HD glass that isn't...

I have the 1-6x on a SCAR 17, I'll probably grab one of these 1-4x for my SCAR16 hat has been sitting in the safe for years waiting on an optic.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011

It's on sale. Even better price than last year. 25% off instead of 20%. The discount helped pay for my mount last year. This year, with the extra $50 off, you can get both a mount and a switch view.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I don't know much about SWFA. Other than available inventory, what advantages do their 1-4 or 1-6x options (if under $300) have over a Primary Arms 1-6x?

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Super snipers are pretty sweet for the money!

I have one on a precision rifle that I purchased for temporary glass until I saved up for the scope I really wanted. I liked the SWFA SS so much that it is now my permanent scope and I scrapped the idea of upgrading. I am just blown away that you can purchase such a good quality scope at such a low price.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I don't know much about SWFA. Other than available inventory, what advantages do their 1-4 or 1-6x options (if under $300) have over a Primary Arms 1-6x?

Better glass on the Super Snipers.

Additionally you're buying a scope made by a respected optics manufacturer versus some one made in China with supposed "oversight" to ensure quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom