• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MovingFusion

Dec 29, 2012
    Anyone know how to zero a VZ 2008 for a 100M zero (or whatever factory standard is). Can I do this myself or will I need a gunsmith? If I need a gunsmith, can someone recommend a decent one in SOMD or King George county? If I can do it myself, is there a manual available? There isn't anything on Century's website...

My first trip out with the rifle was to blast about 70 canteloupes and melons on my brother's property at a fairly short range so I didnt notice anything accuracy wise (I may have been too busy having fun).

My next trip out was at MG and I was consistenly 10-12 inches high and 6-10 inches right at 100 yards while shooting from a rest, no wind. I tried Tula and Red Army standard, roughly the same result. Also, is the correct sight picture "pumpkin on a post" or is it more point of aim?

I appreciate any feedback.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    There are a few videos on YouTube of how to zero AKs. As the sights are the same, I would imagine the technique is the same. You do NOT need a gunsmith (yet, read on!) to make this adjustment.

You will need the AK sight tool as another poster mentioned.

Don't even TRY to adjust it without one. Just get the Tapco one for 11 bucks from Amazon.

AK sights adjust two ways. Vertical and horizontal. The vertical is easy. the tool has a hollow driver that fits the sight pin that screws into the top. Righty tighty lefty lucy.

The sight also adjusts left and right for windage. It has a short dowel that runs side to side through the sight. The tool fits in such a way that it allows one side to push the dowel, and the other side to let it through while still holding the other side of the sight. Once you get the tool it will make sense. Or find a YouTube video on it. :rolleyes:

Now, here is where it gets stupid. It is possible that your sights are canted. You move the dowel all the way to one side, (it can only go so far) and it STILL is not shooting at center. There are videos on how to fix this, but it requires a higher level skill set to fix.

I have this issue with my Century Arms VZ2008. I am going to a gunsmith to have it fixed.

Good luck with your VZ 2008. Also let me know if you have one with a fixed stock and want a folder. I am looking to trade. :rolleyes:

PS - proper sight picture is pumpkin on a post. Of course if the pumpkin is HUGE in the sight picture, aim for the middle.

MovingFusion

Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. I have one AK, which was dead on right out of the box, so I never had to mess with it. I didn't even occur to me that the method was the same for both rifles. So, tool is ordered... hopefully that will fix the problem.

I have the folder too... been thinking about getting the wood stock once I get the sights worked out.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    bkuether, I had canted front sight on my VZ2008 and was able to fix it myself fairly easily. Mine would actually hit point of aim with the front sight moved almost all the way to the right, but I didn't like it being that far over so I decided to fix it.

There are several good videos on youtube on doing this with AKs that apply equally to the VZ. The most important thing is to make a good barrel vise (I used block of hard wood from a shipping pallet runner) and clamp it down tight and close to the muzzle. Knock it over with a hefty deadblow or rubber mallet. There's a few ways of determining how far to move it, check out the YT videos. If it's not canted too far, you can even straighten it up without removing the sight retaining pins. (I didn't need to remove the pins on mine.)

BTW for MovingFusion, I used the common AK procedure & sighting targets for my VZ with good results. Plenty of internet articles & YT videos on that too.

Bluarms

May 3, 2014
    Hey there Moving Fusion. I'm interested in knowing how you made out with zeroing your VZ. I have one myself and just got it back from having a new sight out on the front excuse the one that came on it must have been glued in place. What a horror story that whole process was! Hoping to get to the range next weekend to see if its close now.

Nodak Kid

Jun 30, 2013
    USA
    There are a few videos on YouTube of how to zero AKs. As the sights are the same, I would imagine the technique is the same. You do NOT need a gunsmith (yet, read on!) to make this

Now, here is where it gets stupid. It is possible that your sights are canted. You move the dowel all the way to one side, (it can only go so far) and it STILL is not shooting at center. There are videos on how to fix this, but it requires a higher level skill set to fix.

I have this issue with my Century Arms VZ2008. I am going to a gunsmith to have it fixed.

I'm having the same issue with the front sight. Did you have a local smith repair it? If so, please let me know who did the work. Was thinking about sending it back to CIA, but don't what to go through the hassle. Surprised to hear so many were sold with this problem. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom