• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Black Rifle in Missouri had Remington 125gr OTM in stock for $40 per box when I stopped by there last week. Same ammo can be found at Shooters in Columbus, GA for $25 per box. Specialty Sports & Supply in Colorado Springs has some COR-BON subsonics in stock for $40 per box.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    There are tons of videos on the internet on how to cut down .223 to 300 AAC. It seems quite easy but I have not done it since my rifle build is on indefinite hold.

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    I make my own out of .223 have since I bought my first .300 aac blk a year ago, 4 rifles later I still make my own brass. Its not hard at all. first i pull the primer and neck expander out of the die, then just reduce the neck down. I then remove most of the material with a belt sander then I trim to length with my drill press and a lee trimming tool. It's workied flawlessly for almost 4000 rounds to date!!

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    I did however order Brass from BLACKOUTBRASS.COM what a bunch of con artists though placed the order 12 weeks ago and still have yet to recieve my brass. They make you use paypal which only protects the consumer for 45 days, and their website states 6-8 weeks for delivery!!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hand cut my brass using a small plumbing pipe cutter, not the quickest method, but it works.

A fellow member just loaned me his mini chopsaw, and that's definitely quicker. Now to go and do the few gallon bags of .223 brass I have on standby.

racerbob66

Nov 19, 2009
    North East, MD
    I did however order Brass from BLACKOUTBRASS.COM what a bunch of con artists though placed the order 12 weeks ago and still have yet to recieve my brass. They make you use paypal which only protects the consumer for 45 days, and their website states 6-8 weeks for delivery!!

There's a whole thread of unhappy people on 300blktalk, including me. They charged my card then went silent for over a month, didn't answer multiple phone calls and email messages. I had to do a chargeback on my CC. I wouldn't mind if they told me up front that there was a delay, but when I ordered the web site said they ship daily, all orders ship in 2 weeks.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    A guy on http://WWW.300blktalk.com sells a jig of sorts for the small cut off saw that, from what I hear, does great things for cutting them down.

HArbor Freight has mini chop saws for 35$

Thanks Russ, that is the saw I was thinking of, I just picked up one of those saws along with the jig from this post last week. I also have the World's Finest Trimmer in .300blk from Little Crow Gunworks that I got from MidwayUSA and once I get my brass next week, I will toss an update on how well everything works out to get the brass processed.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Ok, started rolling on it tonight, have about 200 pcs of 300blk made up now following this process:

-Tumble .223 cases
    -Cut at neck with the Harbor Freight saw and the Jig
    -Lube cases
    -Size on press
    -Trim with the WFT using a drill in a vise and a pair of pliers with about 5 layers of duct tape for protection of the brass
    -Tumble again to remove the lube
    -Deprime

The jig and WFT work out GREAT, I am able to pound through brass at both of those stages doing about 10-12 a minute on each. Also, each case is coming out at around +-0.002 of each other so the accuracy is quite good so far.

All and all, I spent about an extra $140 on tools so it can seem a bit pricey. However, I didn't own any other type of case trimmer and the .300blk is my only rifle cartridge (and will be for a long while) so for the time savings, I didn't bat an eye. Also, Wildcat on 300blktalk wants 370/1000 so I am still saving $130 over his prices, even with paying 100/1000 for some .223.

Justler

Jan 5, 2012
    I make my own with Accurate 1680. I convert .223/5.56 brass to 300blk using the jig from the 300blktalk.com member selling them and use a World's finest brass trimmer. My process:

- Tumble brass and clean dust off
    - Lubricate with dillon case lube
    - feed through chop saw jig and cut below shoulder
    - run through full length Lee sizing die (it deprimes)
    - trim to length on trimmer (I've been trimming to 1.360 +/- .001-.002)
    - run through rcbs trim mate military primer remover, primer pocket uniformer, chamfer and debur stations.

From there I load Accurate 1680 and my own lead blackout bullets (Right now i'm doing 247gr NOE molds without gas checks). I'm thinking of switching down to a less weighty bullet eventually just so I can make more bullets out of the lead I have.

Takes me about an hour to convert 200 cases once they are tumbled. If anyone wants some of their .223/5.56 converted, let me know. The only part I really mind doing is removing the primer pocket crimps, the rest is fast.

If you have about $150 sitting around and a little bit of time (you must if you are going to reload!) you can do this yourself.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Finally got everything I need. Now just waiting for powder.
    20130305_231716_zps264695c8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom