• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    I'm relatively new to this area and am interested in doing some dove or quail hunting. I'm not particularly familiar with regulations or places to hunt in or around Washington County and was hoping to get some advice on places to hunt in the area, as well as what licenses, stamps, etc. I would need. Is a hunter safety course of some sort required? Where would I get that?

Any and all info is helpful. Just assume I'm a total noon and you'll be pretty close.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Doves are around and you need to knock for permissions. Some farms are really worked over and useless after the first week. Quail are not even around here. I had buddies that used to raise them to hunt and that is the only time in 20 years I have seen quail.

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    I have a neighbor that raises quail, but he just kills them for food an doesn't release them. So I guess I should just drive around and look for a likely spot then Track down the landowner for permission to hunt.

blacklab25

Mar 26, 2013
    Mardela Springs
    Try some of the mennonite farms. Alot of them will give permission for a trade off of some work. I used to hunt for doves around Hagerstown. If you can find a cut corn field at the end of August you should be covered up with doves.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I'm relatively new to this area and am interested in doing some dove or quail hunting. I'm not particularly familiar with regulations or places to hunt in or around Washington County and was hoping to get some advice on places to hunt in the area, as well as what licenses, stamps, etc. I would need. Is a hunter safety course of some sort required? Where would I get that?

Any and all info is helpful. Just assume I'm a total noon and you'll be pretty close.

Yes, you need a a Hunter Safety cert to get a hunting license. The hunter safety card doesn't have to be from MD, it can be from any state. You need a hunting license to hunt, and I believe a migratory bird stamp for dove and quail. Start here for the needed info: http://dnr.maryland.gov/service/ including where to go for hunter safety classes, and how to sign up.

The DNR website will also give you season dates, as well as public areas open for hunting.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Yes, you need a a Hunter Safety cert to get a hunting license. The hunter safety card doesn't have to be from MD, it can be from any state. You need a hunting license to hunt, and I believe a migratory bird stamp for dove and quail. Start here for the needed info: http://dnr.maryland.gov/service/ including where to go for hunter safety classes, and how to sign up.

The DNR website will also give you season dates, as well as public areas open for hunting.

Just do the Texas online safety course. It's a lot faster and no field day needed.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Thanks. I was looking into public lands. There's a WMA down in Montgomery county that has dove fields that I want to go check out as well.

That would be McKee Beshers and the freaking place gets packed. Best bet is to knock on some doors in Washington County where you see planted corn and ask if you can dove hunt there. I did a ton of hunting in Washington County from 1994 to 2005. Killed plenty of doves, ducks, and geese over cut cornfields.

As has already been mentioned, forget about true quail hunting in Maryland. They do canned hunts of pen raised quail in places in Maryland, but that is almost like shooting clay pigeons. Same goes for pheasants, chukars, etc. Not much good upland bird hunting in this state.

Get to know some farm owners in the community and then work your way into asking them to hunt on their property.

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    That would be McKee Beshers and the freaking place gets packed. Best bet is to knock on some doors in Washington County where you see planted corn and ask if you can dove hunt there. I did a ton of hunting in Washington County from 1994 to 2005. Killed plenty of doves, ducks, and geese over cut cornfields.

As has already been mentioned, forget about true quail hunting in Maryland. They do canned hunts of pen raised quail in places in Maryland, but that is almost like shooting clay pigeons. Same goes for pheasants, chukars, etc. Not much good upland bird hunting in this state.

Get to know some farm owners in the community and then work your way into asking them to hunt on their property.
    That's the place. I guess I'll need to do some legwork. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom