• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    My roommate was wondering if we could help him out figuring out what exactly he has here.

Attachments

• photo 4-1.jpg
      photo 4-1.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 376
    • photo 3-1.jpg
      photo 3-1.jpg
      37.5 KB · Views: 370
    • photo 2-3.jpg
      photo 2-3.jpg
      33.8 KB · Views: 369

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    The extractor rod seems like it screws into a plunger in the lug to lock the cylinder in place? I noticed because it wouldn't open and I screwed it back down and it opened. Is it supposed to do that?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The rod is probably loose, it's not supposed to do that. Just pressing the release catch on the side of the frame should open the cyl. .

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    No, it's not supposed to do that. I guess the plunger rod is loose. What probably happened when you screwed it down is that it pushed the latch out of the way. Pushing the latch forwards should allow you to open the cylinder.

It looks like a three screw Model 10 with a heavy barrel.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The extractor rod seems like it screws into a plunger in the lug to lock the cylinder in place? I noticed because it wouldn't open and I screwed it back down and it opened. Is it supposed to do that?

Put a drop of blue locktite on the threads and screw it back in. My 686 used to do that too.

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    ditch those nasty pachmeyers and put on some well worn wooden grips and you'll have a nice looking piece.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    No, it's not supposed to do that. I guess the plunger rod is loose. What probably happened when you screwed it down is that it pushed the latch out of the way. Pushing the latch forwards should allow you to open the cylinder.

It looks like a three screw Model 10 with a heavy barrel.

Put a drop of blue locktite on the threads and screw it back in. My 686 used to do that too.

Agreed on using BLUE Locktite on the threads, however, I'd like to stress that you should put two (2) EMPTY cartridges (opposite from each other) in the cylinder, when tightening the plunger.
    Putting two (2) empty pieces of brass into the cylinder will help prevent breaking off the locating tabs under the extractor 'star'.

Also, do NOT use pliers on the plunger rod. You WILL 'booger up' the plunger rod.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Also, do NOT use pliers on the plunger rod. You WILL 'booger up' the plunger rod.

How I wish the average Bubba comprehended that. I lost count a long time ago of how many hundreds of old revolvers I've seen where Bubba used pliers or channel locks and badly damaged the ejector rod.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Agreed on using BLUE Locktite on the threads, however, I'd like to stress that you should put two (2) EMPTY cartridges (opposite from each other) in the cylinder, when tightening the plunger.
    Putting two (2) empty pieces of brass into the cylinder will help prevent breaking off the locating tabs under the extractor 'star'.

Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom