• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hey guys,

I've never owned an AR but now want one (and didn't prior to 10/1/13 - surprise surprise).

What's the most bang for your buck under $1000? I've been looking at the Colts but don't really know much about this platform. As for caliber, it's a toss up between 5.56 and .308.

Thanks in advance!

-K

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    At $1000 budget, I would get the Colt.

Lou has new and LE turn in M4 style carbines, and he just got in some Colt Match Target versions.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    If you've got a grand to spend on it, ditto what everybody said - get the Colt. If it's 5.56, that is. I know zip about .308s in that platform.

Me, I'd go with one chambered for 5.56, you can shoot about any .223 or 5.56 ammo with the right barrel twist. Recoil is mild, ammo's not that expensive, parts are standard and easy to change when you want to...

Opinion = free, use it if you like it!

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    If you've got a grand to spend on it, ditto what everybody said - get the Colt. If it's 5.56, that is. I know zip about .308s in that platform.

Me, I'd go with one chambered for 5.56, you can shoot about any .223 or 5.56 ammo with the right barrel twist. Recoil is mild, ammo's not that expensive, parts are standard and easy to change when you want to...

Opinion = free, use it if you like it!

Well, I'd have to sell my 700 in .308 first, then I'd be able to scratch enough together. But that's part of what I'm debating as well.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If you go with an AR15, the best one under 1k, is the one you build from a stripped lower and a stripped upper. An easier solution would be to build the stripped lower out how you want it, then find an HBAR upper you like and buy it.

If you do it this way, you can generally build a really good rifle for 750-850.

Feb 28, 2013
    Can't go wrong with the genuine article, a Colt A3.

Lou at Shooters' Discount is a good man to do business with.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Lou at Shooters Discount. LE trade in 6721. If ya want I can meet you there and get you the pick of the litter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom