• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    Do you know how long you have to change your vehicle tags over?

Changing my residency is high on my priority list but I don't have an address yet for my property so that has to happen first.

30 Days I believe. I could be wrong.

1obxnut

Aug 21, 2013
    Silver Spring, MoCo
    Well, I'm no longer a Maryland voter. It bothers me slightly that I can no longer fight the good fight, but most of the politicians in Maryland are idiots anyway. I'm still highly annoyed at the lies Mr. Brochin issued.

Virginia is interesting, it took me over five hours to get my "temporary" driver's license. But most of that time was because of the attributes of my property. It sits on the VA/NC line and the postal address (where the mailboxes are) is NC. So I had to get a voter's registration card before I could get the license. (Had to have a physical address in VA on the driver's license. But the voter registration roles had Virginia residents up and down the same street showing NC mailing addresses. Either way, and several trips back and forth between the Voter's registration office and DMV, it all worked out.

Interesting how common sense seems to prevail in VA. They actually require a photo id to vote. How novel a concept. Not like the "Steal Votes" concept in MD.

Due to the time it took (yes I did this on Friday Afternoon, which is probably the worst time), I didn't have time to drop by the circuit court and try to get my VA non-resident permit changed over to a VA resident permit. (Actually I failed to look at the permit and it had expired a month or so ago, so getting the Resident one is not only desired, but required now.)

Many I envy you, been looking into some property in VA myself..

But when tax season come, you may feel some pain because the timing of your "change of address"..my buddy moved from MD to VA in June in 2009 and ended up having to pay both states income taxes as he was a resident of each state for 6 months..he tried to fight MD(for 3 years..lost..)

tomh

Jul 21, 2008

But when tax season come, you may feel some pain because the timing of your "change of address"..my buddy moved from MD to VA in June in 2009 and ended up having to pay both states income taxes as he was a resident of each state for 6 months..he tried to fight MD(for 3 years..lost..)

Well I am recently retired, so if that happens the bite won't be as bad as if I hadn't. And pardon me for being bitter, but good riddance Maryland. As long as the jackasses are in political office in MD, I'll do everything I can to get my wife outta here as well (Yes, I am now a VA resident, she is stuck in MD).

But, the timing was done as soon as I could, especially so that the 30-day countdown timer for gun purchases could end as soon as possible. And to re-up my VA Carry Permit, but this time as a resident.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    I'm still amazed about Virginia.

It did take me 5 hours to get my driver's license - seems having a North Carolina street address for a Virginia Property does cause some issues <grin>. (The mailbox is on the street where the access road comes out. No other way in, except through North Carolina.)

But, I went to the Circuit Court today and turned in my application for a RESIDENT concealed carry permit. Turns out, my Virginia Non-Resident permit expired in April (I got caught unaware, and didn't see it in time to renew).

The folks couldn't be more pleasant, and although I can't swear to it, I think it cost me less than half (fingerprints, etc.) what the non-resident permit cost initially. (Have to look at that sometime).

They have 45 days to process, but they said they usually get it done more quickly.

I also received my plastic (non-temporary) license today. It was issued on June 27th, so on July 27th I'm "Legal" as far as new firearms purchases in Virginia. I can't wait! I may not buy anything right away, but boy and I excited that I will be able to. <he he>

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I was born in Va. and grew up in mostly N.C.. congratulations. I am waiting for my wife to retire and we will be moving to N.C. most likely! My biggest worry when it comes to living in a remote area is how far is a hospital. Grocery stores not that big of a deal. Be safe and good luck!

Last edited:

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    Not only did I do it - I got it! VA RESIDENT Carry Permit!

Well, it took the entire 45 days, but I received my Virginia Resident Carry permit today.

The escape from Maryland is complete!

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    :envy: I am so envious. :envy:

But congratulations anyway! Please keep reporting on your adventure.

I have been virtually keeping a public blog on Facebook. I moved primarily to get out of Maryland, but have been having quite an adventure moving from a .22 acre suburban household to a 83.4 acre property with two houses and three barns. (My wife unfortunately still has to work in MD for a few more years.)

Turns out I am also happy to have a nice stream through the property and pond. And while I'm still learning how to use a game cam, I have regular visitors including Turkeys, Deer, Raccoons, Box Turtles, Black Snakes, and a Hybrid Coyote/Wolf/Dog. I also have flocks of goldfinches now feeding off of the deck (6 of them) and Hummingbirds (8 of them), with "pass through" families of both stopping in as well occasionally.

I've invested in some critters too: 6 chickens, 7 guinea fowl and 4 ducks. (and a cat that was supposed to be a barn cat, but became a loving pet)

I'm about to embark on trying to plant a patch of soybean (for the deer) to see if hunting from the deck is possible this fall. (I did have to get a tractor, zero-turn finish mower, and 4 wheel drive utility vehicle.)

I have been looking at gun safes nearby (the nearest grocery stores and "cities" are about 30 minutes away), but have not (as yet) purchased any new firearms. I have to laminate my carry permit today <grin>.

I've had to replace almost all of the plumbing in both houses (no one was living in them almost 8 years!), replaced a hot water heater in the large house. Repaired, and later replaced the well pump in the large house, bought two complete sets of new appliances, including washers/dryers, refrigerators, stoves, microwave, and dishwasher. Had two circuit breaker boxes replaced in the large house, and re-wired a lot of the lighting in the largest barn. I still have to have the entire heating and cooling system redesigned and rebuilt in the larger house (3300 sq ft). I had two new metal roofs put on both houses as well.

It's been an adventure so far. Today I have to move some furniture in (been living pretty much without) that I brought down from MD. I have enough things to do to keep me busy for a few years... <grin>

tomh

Jul 21, 2008

A recent Supreme Court finding said that Maryland could not tax earnings that were already taxed by another state.

Your friend can probably get a refund from Maryland now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom