• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    In the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, there is an exception for the HQL if:
    IS AN ACTIVE OR RETIRED MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OR, OR THE NATIONAL GUARD, AND POSSESSES A VALID MILITARY IDENTIFICATION CARD;
    This seems to not include military spouses (or any dependents). Does anyone think this can be expanded for at least spouses with an amendment? I rather have the whole act rescinded, but I think that it makes no sense to have military family members that are not MD residents get a HQL. By the time they go through everything that is required for a HQL, and waiting period for a regulated firearm, they may have already been shipped off to their next duty station! Maybe I'm bitter cause I might have lost a probable buyer of a firearm! I may have to wait for the active duty member to come back from overseas...

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Ain't gonna happen, the ONLY reason the military gets the exemption is they had training on the subject. Spouses didn't. O'Mouthy would look pretty stupid if he didn't tweek the rules to the military.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    In the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, there is an exception for the HQL if: This seems to not include military spouses (or any dependents). Does anyone think this can be expanded for at least spouses with an amendment?

No. OK, I don't think it should. Maybe some people do. If there is an HQL restricting my right, it should restrict everyone's right. Otherwise, it's not a right.

I rather have the whole act rescinded,

Only answer.

but I think that it makes no sense to have military family members that are not MD residents get a HQL.
    It doesn't make sense for anyone to have to get a HQL. Carving out or accepting exemptions creates a set of people who should have a right, and another that should not. It is not much better than voting for the law in the first place.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think it's a good argument, however, few of them will want to be md residents and would rather keep their home state rights so they will likely just buy items in a free state.

They get in-state tutition in most states so I see the argument and kicking them in the junk for shafting the military (in an election year) is a great thing to do the the pinkos for their shafting of us all.

The First Lady was supposed to be a huge fan of the military family so maybe she will chime in for them to have their rights.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I think it's a good argument, however, few of them will want to be md residents and would rather keep their home state rights so they will likely just buy items in a free state.

They get in-state tutition in most states so I see the argument and kicking them in the junk for shafting the military (in an election year) is a great thing to do the the pinkos for their shafting of us all.

The First Lady was supposed to be a huge fan of the military family so maybe she will chime in for them to have their rights.

Yes, Bobo's pet pig was no doubt a staunch supporter of the military......... maybe THAT'S what she's so proud of now in her "adult life"? :lol2:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    In the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, there is an exception for the HQL if: This seems to not include military spouses (or any dependents). Does anyone think this can be expanded for at least spouses with an amendment? I rather have the whole act rescinded, but I think that it makes no sense to have military family members that are not MD residents get a HQL. By the time they go through everything that is required for a HQL, and waiting period for a regulated firearm, they may have already been shipped off to their next duty station! Maybe I'm bitter cause I might have lost a probable buyer of a firearm! I may have to wait for the active duty member to come back from overseas...

".....cause I might have lost a probable buyer of a firearm!"

No disrespect, but you now know what it's like when I have a person walk out of the shop when they discover what they need to do to make a handgun purchase.:sad20:

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    Military spouses are never included in firearm purchasing rights afforded to us active duty members. Its because unlike the member, our spouses don't become a legal resident of the state when orders are given.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    ".....cause I might have lost a probable buyer of a firearm!"

No disrespect, but you now know what it's like when I have a person walk out of the shop when they discover what they need to do to make a handgun purchase.:sad20:

Make the LAW ABIDING populous do it enough, they will quit. :sad20:

screen_shot_2011_02_01_at_7_57_12_am.png

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If spouses got military training, sure. What other reason would be acceptable?

none in my opinion. Using this reasoning, why shouldn't the wives of LEO's be exempt as well.? We have enough carve outs for special classes of people. I'm a vet but I can't see it.

my .02

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I personally feel like there should be no exceptions or exemptions. I am an all or nothing sort of guy. Exemptions, exceptions, and carve outs are part of the divide and conquer plan.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is not just the training, but also the background check and photo ID.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Military spouses are never included in firearm purchasing rights afforded to us active duty members. Its because unlike the member, our spouses don't become a legal resident of the state when orders are given.

Not to digress, but when you move under orders, your spouse becomes a legal resident of the state he/she moves to with you. The military member is the ONLY one who can keep legal residence outside the state they are stationed in.

Been there done that, for 23 years and 7 states. My wife was required, by law, to get a DL and file taxes (even if she didn't work there) in every state we moved to.

Now back to the OP's question...
    Spouses don't have .mil training and the MD General Assembly and MOM think .mil training is sufficient to not need further training to exercise a God given Constitutional right. (Why can we get SQL's, Free Speech Qualification Licenses?)

Aand....
    I personally feel like there should be no exceptions or exemptions. I am an all or nothing sort of guy. Exemptions, exceptions, and carve outs are part of the divide and conquer plan.
    x1 bazillion. There should be no HQL....period

In MD a spouse can remain a resident of their home state if here on orders, which is awesome of Maryland. I just had to register my current handgun within 90 days of moving here. (which sucks because it is the crappiest 9 in the land)

I have a FL DL with my MD address so Dick's wouldn't sell me a 10/22 takedown. Which was a blessing in disguise because I would rather buy from Engagement or Atlantic or United. The clerk was a Marine so I could tell he was upset that the manager wouldn't do it.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I obviously did not see this thread back in June, but if I did I would have asked then..... why would or should the spouse of a person serving in the military be exempt from having an HQL in MD?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    In MD a spouse can remain a resident of their home state if here on orders, which is awesome of Maryland. I just had to register my current handgun within 90 days of moving here. (which sucks because it is the crappiest 9 in the land)

I have a FL DL with my MD address so Dick's wouldn't sell me a 10/22 takedown. Which was a blessing in disguise because I would rather buy from Engagement or Atlantic or United. The clerk was a Marine so I could tell he was upset that the manager wouldn't do it.

If you're here in orders, you likely didn't need to register anything. You only need to register if you more here with the intention of establishing residency.

Come on by any time!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I obviously did not see this thread back in June, but if I did I would have asked then..... why would or should the spouse of a person serving in the military be exempt from having an HQL in MD?

It is well known that gun safety/knowledge is an STD.

JVP409

Jan 31, 2013
    Bel Air

I agree, it's a ridiculous thought that just because you are a spouse of someone who has had training you would be exempt. Should Dr's wives be exempt from getting a medical license before practicing medicine?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Do ALL military personnel receive handgun training?
    Do ALL military personnel receive training on Maryland firearms and self defense law?

The military carve-out only makes sense as a way to divide and reduce the opposition to the law.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I agree, it's a ridiculous thought that just because you are a spouse of someone who has had training you would be exempt. Should Dr's wives be exempt from getting a medical license before practicing medicine?
    I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would even ask this question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom