• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    There is no harm in taking the safety class. In fact, it's probably a good idea to get a refresher. It only takes a couple hours and will help keep the "safety first" ethos top of mind.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Yes

Hunter education is not like drivers licenses, or carry permits.

It even works for the HQL training that is accepted by the Maryland State Police.

whoa, so you mean that the one day class requirement for an HQL is waved if you have a TX hunter safety course number in hand?

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    whoa, so you mean that the one day class requirement for an HQL is waved if you have a TX hunter safety course number in hand?

You might want to check that one out, As I recall there was a thread about the online TX safety course and I even believe someone used it for the HQL to see if it would work and it did go through but I believe they had previous regulated purchases so I am not sure if that is why or not.

I have read more recently that it does NOT work for the HQL as the law states,"Have completed a course of instruction and been issued a certificate of competency in firearms and hunter safety from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources" which the TX online course would not satisfy IMO.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You might want to check that one out, As I recall there was a thread about the online TX safety course and I even believe someone used it for the HQL to see if it would work and it did go through but I believe they had previous regulated purchases so I am not sure if that is why or not.

I have read more recently that it does NOT work for the HQL as the law states,"Have completed a course of instruction and been issued a certificate of competency in firearms and hunter safety from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources" which the TX online course would not satisfy IMO.

You need to look at the law again.

It does not state MD DNR, only as prescribed by law

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Maryland had a Bathroom Safety Course that you had to take before you could apply for your license to take a dump on a toilet. I mean, people do die injure themselves and kill themselves in the bathroom too. Should require a safety course for hair dryers.

We all know your post is sarcasm...

Butt there should be a training class. Nothing more disgusting than seeing and smelling a floater from the previous occupant who was too lazy to flush.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    We all know your post is sarcasm...

Butt there should be a training class. Nothing more disgusting than seeing and smelling a floater from the previous occupant who was too lazy to flush.

Or, what about those that are too lazy to stick around to track the floaters and make sure they don't remain after the first shot. Sometimes, multiple shots at the handle are required.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Since you've hunted MD before you should either be exempt (if you hunted pre '77) or you took hunters safety back then. If you took it but lost the card, contact DNR. They'll tell you what you need to send them so they can try to find the record and re-issue the card. Got mine in the 90s and had to get a replacement when I got back into hunting a few years ago.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere

You need to look at the law again.

It does not state MD DNR, only as prescribed by law

Actually the quote above is directly pulled from the MD HQL Training Exemption List. I think you maybe confused in thinking I am talking about the hunter safety which MD does accept with the online TX course, However the post I quoted and replied to was asking about the MD HQL. So you need to look at the post again.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Actually the quote above is directly pulled from the MD HQL Training Exemption List. I think you maybe confused in thinking I am talking about the hunter safety which MD does accept with the online TX course, However the post I quoted and replied to was asking about the MD HQL. So you need to look at the post again.

Yes, it was vetted by a lawyer, who created the thread about the TX hunter education.

I will take his word over someone on the internet.

rstickle

Jul 12, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    When I got my first MD hunting permit a few years ago I used a Hunters Safety Card I got in New York in the 60's. The only question I was asked was where the card number was, I answered "they didn't have numbers back then". But, my MD permit was issued...

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Yes, it was vetted by a lawyer, who created the thread about the TX hunter education.

I will take his word over someone on the internet.

I guess I am naive to trust the state of MD to put the correct information on their own website about obtaining a license required by law.

While I believe the lawyer to be correct, your comment about taking someones word 'on the internet' is a little funny considering you are taking the word of some one on the internet, that someone is telling you they are a lawyer. Not saying I don't believe that they are a lawyer or what they are saying is correct, but your snide comment was a little hypocritical, when you could have said based on another thread I read it stated that the MD website is actually providing false info.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I guess I am naive to trust the state of MD to put the correct information on their own website about obtaining a license required by law.

While I believe the lawyer to be correct, your comment about taking someones word 'on the internet' is a little funny considering you are taking the word of some one on the internet, that someone is telling you they are a lawyer. Not saying I don't believe that they are a lawyer or what they are saying is correct, but your snide comment was a little hypocritical, when you could have said based on another thread I read it stated that the MD website is actually providing false info.

That lawyer works for an IP here, go visit the IP and you might meet him in person ;)

This is not the first case of MSP creating law that doesn't exist. They play on the vagueness of the manure called legislation.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Took a hunters safety course in NY in the 60's and hunted in MD before 1977 but have no way to prove either so I guess I'd need a TX or MD course?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Took a hunters safety course in NY in the 60's and hunted in MD before 1977 but have no way to prove either so I guess I'd need a TX or MD course?

All you end up doing is signing an affidavit on the license under the penalty of perjury that you have hunted prior to 1977. Don't even think it has to have been in Maryland. My dad always checks this off on his hunting license application. Actually, come to think of it, it isn't really something separate from the license anymore. Just a question answered on the license application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom