.260 Remington (bolt-action), tips/advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I need to order some more pills and powder, almost out again. H414 is starting to run low, still got some Varget, but no 120/123gr pills.

Fired off the 3 worst looking annealed cases, no issues. So I may have actually done something right for once...

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I need to order some more pills and powder, almost out again. H414 is starting to run low, still got some Varget, but no 120/123gr pills.

Fired off the 3 worst looking annealed cases, no issues. So I may have actually done something right for once...

I have a Giraud annealer and a 200 yrd range 10 miles away if you want to make a daytrip........

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have a Giraud annealer and a 200 yrd range 10 miles away if you want to make a daytrip........

Appreciate the offer. :thumbsup:

200 yards is twice what I got locally, so I'm envious.

Although I think E.Shell has got the setup that is the envy of quite a few people here. I'd love to be able to shoot past 1k regularly.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Annealing the cases, definitely seems to have remedied the 'sticky' brass - that was on their 7th/8th loading.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Finally got to shoot my final loads..... My Tikka likes Varget more than H4350. I'll still use up the couple pounds of 4350 I have tho.... :-)

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      65.4 KB · Views: 187

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Definitely looks like you may be onto a winner with Varget, H414 also seems to show potential in my rifle with 140gr Amax.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have a few more weeks (1-3 by last estimate) before the new optic comes in, Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 (MRAD).

I can't wait to pull this Center-Point off the rifle. Got a smoking pre-order deal, so I jumped on it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well, Vortex has discontinued that model of the Viper PST (4-16x50 SFP MRAD) - just got off the phone with them.

So it looks like I'll be rocking the cheap Center-Point for a while longer. Yay. :rolleyes:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have you looked at the SWFA scopes?

I have (plenty of times), and I'm just not sure if the fixed power is going to be the best fill-in for me right now.

I got to do something though, this CP keeps me shooting, but it definitely isn't helping me out.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I have (plenty of times), and I'm just not sure if the fixed power is going to be the best fill-in for me right now.

I got to do something though, this CP keeps me shooting, but it definitely isn't helping me out.

I hear 'ya. I like mine. I had it on my .308 and engaged target out to +1200yds . It got the job done. Off course, there are better options, but for the $399 I paid for it, I like the results. The scope is now on my .223 and does quite well.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The 3-15 FFP has my interest, but it's just outside of my current budget.

That's my issue, I'm trying to get something that'll hold me over until I have a real budget for optics. What fixed power did you go with?

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    x10. The first one I had was defective, but SWFA had a replacement out the door the same day I had the problem. No problems since then and that was 4 years ago.

I run an Night Force on my .260, but I do want an FFP at some point.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well, Vortex has discontinued that model of the Viper PST (4-16x50 SFP MRAD) - just got off the phone with them.

So it looks like I'll be rocking the cheap Center-Point for a while longer. Yay. :rolleyes:

But you want the FFP version anyway. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    But you want the FFP version anyway. :)

In my current situation, budget doesn't allow for that at this point in time.

SWFA is out of stock for the 16x and 20x, not expected back in until mid May at the earliest. That's annoying, cause those were my 2 budget friendly options. Oh well, probably for the best.

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind

SWFA is out of stock for the 16x and 20x, not expected back in until mid May at the earliest. That's annoying, cause those were my 2 budget friendly options. Oh well, probably for the best.
    When they come back in stock, I'd suggest 16x for a fixed magnification. There will be plenty of times that 20x is just too much, especially at times of mirage and other atmospheric debris. The field of view diminishes as we increase magnification, so target acquisition can be challenging too.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Wait a bit and get it. Buy once, cry once.

Also, check Sport Optics. Join Sniper's Hide and SO has a GREAT discount.

They don't actually check if you post on SH, it is enough that you know to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom