• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    Ok here is a total bubba project I thought about yesterday:

Procure cheap single shot breech 12ga from pawn shop
    Procure 12ga to 40 S&W barrel insert (8 inch insert)
    Tig insert into barrel
    Cut barrel down to 12 inches and move bead sight to new barrel end and re-crown barrel.

What class of firearm would this be after mods. I am assuming pistol due to welding of insert.

there is no real purpose for this gun. Sorta like a jackalope.

Opinions????

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm going with illegal short barreled rifle/shotgun if you cut it to 12".

This is along the lines of cutting a rifled slug barrel down to 16" and then putting it back on a shotgun (18") receiver.

My opinion is that it would be legal due to the rifling, but I won't do it.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    Okay until you cut to 12" w/o BATF approval & stamp. You would be "manufacturing" a short barrel rifle/shotgun. Even with BATF approval, probably a no-go in Md.

mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    Yea would be cool but Not up to the legal battle. Marylandistan is such a great place to be a firearms collector. Thanks for the input guys. Gonna pass but it was fun dreaming.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the rest of the country would be a SBR. In Md with the latest *Advisory Letter* would have issues about being a pistol. But not being a semiauto , won't have 26 vs 29in issues. Ironically not as silly an idea as you intended. Among fans of single shot rifles , there is intrest in light weight handy rifles in nominally pistol cals.

The problem with the other hypothetical fully rifled 12ga , is that it inherently depends on the BATF ruling on rifled shotguns being shotguns , to prevent it from being a Destructive Device (ie rifle larger than .50 cal).

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Cut that sucker at 16-1/2 inches and your dream can come true.

You can even drill and tap that receiver for a scope base now that you have more meat to work with.

You can't come on here talking about Bubba this and Bubba that and then not go all Bubbafication on something. :D

Buy it. Chop it. Shoot it.

Xander

Dec 6, 2010
    I'm going with illegal short barreled rifle/shotgun if you cut it to 12".

This is along the lines of cutting a rifled slug barrel down to 16" and then putting it back on a shotgun (18") receiver.

My opinion is that it would be legal due to the rifling, but I won't do it.

This would not be legal.

d) Shotgun
    The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles (ball shot) or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom