• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    I know this is a topic that has been beat more then ray rice's girlfriend, but I did search and came up short.

Before the ban, I purchased serveral 80% bent ak receivers. However I have moved and in the move I cannot for the life of me find my receipts for them. This really annoys me as I'm anal about my gun paperwork. Would it be legal to build these, or do I have some interesting paperweights?

Any guidance on this would he greatly appreciated as I've had a few projects in mind.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I didn't get to punch Ray Rice's girlfriend so hasn't been beaten as many times as she should have been.

They had to be completed before October 1, 2013.... In other words, 80% aren't able to be tracked. You don't have to show paperwork for purchasing a block of metal.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    I would probably delete this thread

Please quit acting like a Battered "MD Gun Owner"..............

No law abiding member on this forum is going to suggest that all he has to do is make up a invoice that would comply with the current law, because that would be against the law and would make him a felon gun owner. The proper thing for him to do is to have documentation and make sure he follows the laws of Maryland; that the MD legislative have already passed and the MSP can't seem to understand out how enforce.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    There is no ATF ruling on where the line between 80% and a firearm lies, at least in terms of AK receivers. Internet opinion is that a bent AK-builder flat, or a drilled Polish blank, crosses that line. No one has tested that opinion legally.

If you bought a Polish blank and didn't modify it by drilling or welding rails on, then it definitely wasn't a firearm pre-Oct. If it's bent from an AK-builder flat, then maybe it's a firearm already. Or maybe it's not. It's highly unlikely you'd ever have to defend it in court, but no one can give you a definitive answer.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    You could always bend them to build pistols.

i like the sound of that, but i don't have any pre-ban receivers.

could i still get one of these and try to build my own?
    http://www.copesdistributing.com/builders-special-parts-combo-p-8347.html

100_4206-LG.jpg

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    i like the sound of that, but i don't have any pre-ban receivers.

could i still get one of these and try to build my own?
    http://www.copesdistributing.com/builders-special-parts-combo-p-8347.html

Sure, AK pistols are still legal to build up from scratch.

Two things about that particular kit: the included Texas AK trigger is a double-hook, and won't work in that receiver without a little modification. No idea why Copes didn't go with a single-hook.

Also, if you are going with a bent Polish blank, you can purchase a fully heat-treated one on the forums for a little more. This will build up better, I'd spend the extra on a treated receiver and go with a G2 trigger instead.

thai

May 8, 2013
    Unfortunately,
    Coming on line to post this question, you may have screwed yourself. The 80% needed to be built prior to sb281.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    Sure, AK pistols are still legal to build up from scratch.

Two things about that particular kit: the included Texas AK trigger is a double-hook, and won't work in that receiver without a little modification. No idea why Copes didn't go with a single-hook.

Also, if you are going with a bent Polish blank, you can purchase a fully heat-treated one on the forums for a little more. This will build up better, I'd spend the extra on a treated receiver and go with a G2 trigger instead.

thanks, i appreciate the info! i haven't done a lot (any) research on building one because i thought it was a no fly zone.

i apologize to OP if i derailed the thread a little bit :thumbsup:

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Unfortunately,
    Coming on line to post this question, you may have screwed yourself. The 80% needed to be built prior to sb281.

I agree. It seems to me that now he would have to build several ak pistols. Sometimes it is best to research than to post!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    I've been tempted to build a pistol with one of these but I know almost nothing about building AKs

http://www.childersguns.com/AK-47-blank

They don't say the rails have been heat treated, but that's easy and it's really just the ejector tip that is critical. If I had to start all over, I'd begin with a treated Polish blank. My home-hardened receivers are still going strong but they aren't as stiff as I'd prefer.

Back when you could put a functioning AK together for $150 or so, building made sense. These days I wouldn't recommending building unless you wanted something rare/unusual.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    They don't say the rails have been heat treated, but that's easy and it's really just the ejector tip that is critical. If I had to start all over, I'd begin with a treated Polish blank. My home-hardened receivers are still going strong but they aren't as stiff as I'd prefer.

Back when you could put a functioning AK together for $150 or so, building made sense. These days I wouldn't recommending building unless you wanted something rare/unusual.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom