• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    As most of us know, MSP has been forcing non-MD/Federal LE to get the HQL based on their reading of the HQL exemption:

a law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any law enforcement agency in the State

MSP had been telling OOS LE that, although the OOS LE is is not exempt from the HQL, they are still eligible to receive magazines with a capacity of over ten rounds within the state. This has changed. This applies to MPDC, VA LE, etc.

The Magazine Capacity transfer restriction has an exemption for LE, but it reads the exact same as the HQL exemption.

a law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any law enforcement agency in the State

Due to this, OOS LE purchasing in MD CANNOT receive a magazine with a capacity of greater than ten rounds.

Corporal Edwards with MSP has advised that:

The [OOS] officer residing in Maryland would not be exempt from an HQL and would not be allowed by law (Criminal Law 4-305 a2) to purchase high capacity magazines in Maryland. The police officer must be law enforcement of the United Sates (Federal), State or any law enforcement agency in the State.

Again, a completely stupid rule, but that's MSP's current position on the subject.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    seen taking MSP licensing division staff to work in Pikesville.

Attachments

• short bus.jpg
      short bus.jpg
      12.1 KB · Views: 499

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the MSP is not to interpret the law but rather enforce it. Interpretation is up to the courts. Pure b.s. saying OOS prior LEO can't take > 10 mags in state. Where in the law is that stated?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the MSP is not to interpret the law but rather enforce it. Interpretation is up to the courts. Pure b.s. saying OOS prior LEO can't take > 10 mags in state. Where in the law is that stated?

Prior? Define "Prior"? What length of time is prior? A year? How do you prove you were "prior"? Nobody gets "Prior Credentials".
    Also in the LAW it states.....
    "a law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any law enforcement agency in the State"

THE state is not A or ANY state. "The State" would mean Maryland.

So, there you go.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Ok, I'll give you "the state" as Maryland but what about "the United States" ? You telling me that a retired LEO from Virgina doesn't fall into that category ?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    it says agency of the United States indicating a federally operated agency.

The issue is, the mag cap law has been written the same way (although changing from 20 to 10) since its inception and MSP always said OOS LE was fine.

Again, it's all unintended consequences when people that don't know guns write the laws, and people that don't know guns trying to interpret laws that don't make sense.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The issue is, the mag cap law has been written the same way (although changing from 20 to 10) since its inception and MSP always said OOS LE was fine.

Again, it's all unintended consequences when people that don't know guns write the laws, and people that don't know guns trying to interpret laws that don't make sense.

Oh I'm not debating or encouraging the issue just trying to explain it to the poster...or at least explain how FFL's are going to be told to follow the law now.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Oh I'm not debating or encouraging the issue just trying to explain it to the poster...or at least explain how FFL's are going to be told to follow the law now.

Would this be the same MSP that told the FFLs during the mad handgun rush that they had to wait till the "not disapproved" came back before they could release the gun? They were wrong then and their wrong now. Read the law as is. Don't interpret it as to what they meant.

k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    What about LE officers from DC??? Are they considered federal employees and are exempt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom