• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Getting ready to work on some 45 Super loads. Has anyone got experience with this round? Could use some help with loads using N-340 if anyone has worked with it. Thanks :D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hodgdon's site doesn't have any data for that specific powder, but HS-6 appears to be a nice powder in that cartridge...

fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Quite a few years ago I talked to the developer or loader for the .45 super. He gave me this load. 185gr JHP 10.5 gr Alliant power pistol 11.3 is max load

You are using 45 SUPER brass and a modified gun for the super?

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The Vihtavuori Reloading Manual Fourth Edition does not list any loads for the .45 Super cartridge.

For the .45 ACP 230 gr. FMJ-RN Hornady bullet they list the maximum load of N340 as 6.4 grs.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Contacted a few powder manufacturers. Hodgdon has yet to get back to me and Alliant wont touch it because it isnt a SAAMI sanctioned round yet. Haven't been able to get in touch with VV yet.
    Accurate and Ramshot powders did send me data however. I'm hoping more is on the way.
    Hodgdon's website shows regular ACP loads for the Super. The lawyers seem to write their data these days. Much different than when Bruce Hodgdon ran the show.
    With Hodgdon, I'll just start with their max ACP load and work up from there.

My components are, Starline 45 Super brass, Hornady 230 gr XTP, CCI 300 primer. Gun is a G21 Gen 4 with KKM fully supported bbl and 24 lb spring.

Thanks for the help

Ken

fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Hi Ken
    Here are your MAX loads that I have w/230 xtp
    Hodgdon Universal 6.0 Tightgroop 5.4 HP38 6.0 Longshot 7.3
    HS6 9.0 N350 8.9 Win WSF 8.5 AA7 13.5 PowerPistol 10.5

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I was loading for a comped 45 ACP about 15 years ago. Goal was a flat shooting pistol so no chrono work was done, but accuracy was noted. This was in a match Kart barrel with respective tighter chamber. I used 185 grain NBC (no longer made) and Nosler JHP bullets. My notebook indicates 10.9 grains of Blue Dot was a breeze with very good accuracy. 12.3 grains indicated pressure was high, so it is discounted as a viable load. 11.3 - 11.5 grains was the sweet spot with 11.8 being a safe maximum with medium acceptable pressure indicators.

I take no responsibility for this data since the firearm, powder and primer lot, brass character, reloading process and equipment are beyond my control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom