Sig pistols (other brands), trigger bar springs, and firing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This is one way to probably get at least 1 round fired off if faced with this situation.

*I am not a gunsmith nor am I an expert on part functions of firearms. Just a guy who has been shooting for his job for many years. This is not advice. Just a guy who has observations after many years of experience.*

So, I am a Sig fan. I have not seen it mentioned anywhere else and has to do with Sig 200 series pistols and trigger bar spring (malfunctions). See attached picture. This MAY be the case with other brands of pistols of which I am not familiar, but maybe you know others?
    Basically the trigger bar spring applies pressure to the bar(back and up) to the sear disconnect in order to release the hammer to drive forward. (Someone correct me if I am wrong).

Well, this spring could disconnect, usually due to an improperly replaced hand grip panel or using a wrong type. In my 100's of thousands of rounds I have never experience this type of issue. Save the comments :)

So while firing you will get a no pressure trigger and no bang when pressed, due to the disconnect. This is because the spring is not holding the bar back and up to engage the sear. So what to do now? I'll tell you.

When this happens, you can "shake,push" the pistol forward (to get the trigger bar to go forward to "reset" the trigger in forward position) while turning the whole pistol upside down, 180 degrees while on your threat.
    The turning upside down uses gravity to make the back trigger bar fall "up" towards the sear so that it can be engaged to make another shot.

The trigger has to be pressed while upside down in order for the bar to stay tracked to engage the sear. I have done this (myself and at work) a few times over the years and it has worked. This is a last ditch effort during an emergency, but in an emergency anything helps. You may or may not be able to keep the pistol upside down to try and make multiple shots. I have had better success rotating back up, "throwing" the trigger forward then rotating back upside down to make another shot. YMMV

Again, this is perfect operational science, but has worked the majority of the time. Clear as mud I know. I just thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone else knows these type of "neat" tricks.

Anything like this with other pistols people know about and can share?

Attachments

• trigbar.jpg
      trigbar.jpg
      73.7 KB · Views: 461
    Last edited:
    Feb 28, 2013
    I hope I never wind up having to do all that while under attack. :shocking:

If you have, then it's certainly to be commended. :thumbsup:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'd have to go back and look, but if I recall, this comes from installing that spring backwards. As long as its in right, it stays and it works.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I hope I never wind up having to do all that while under attack. :shocking:

If you have, then it's certainly to be commended. :thumbsup:

Highly to almost impossible, and certainly something that would be incorporated in a shooters rituals for an emergency. Just one of those things that's available but hasn't been brought up. I was posting this in order to maybe start a conversation about some unconventional ways to operate your firearms. Again something not really on the radar, but neat none the less.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Damn impressive post.:thumbsup:

Thanks my friend. That's as about as layman accurate with nomenclature as I knew. We have always done this at work, so a normal thing to us. Bunch of us were talking about this the other day and thought I'd try to explain it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'd have to go back and look, but if I recall, this comes from installing that spring backwards. As long as its in right, it stays and it works.

It certainly does. But I think the spring is coiled in a certain way that it only installs in the correct position. The issue has been (that we have known) when guys put on the wrong model number Hogue grips and it interferes with the spring causing this anomaly.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Great post. Never know when Murphy will show up.

:thumbsup: Everything we do should should expect Murphy to show up.

Not that I expect many to even remember this, but just "one of those things".
    Maybe making more of a training point. Static indoor ranges do not have to be a dull "Shoot the tightest group from 7 yards slow fire" boredom visit.

Nothing saying you cannot shoot gangsta sideways "gat" style while standing there. Or even more "upside down" than that as long as you are being slow, deliberate and safe about it. You have to experience the physics of the recoil of a gun under uncomfortable positions. For those with a pistol on the nightstand, you will reach over while laying down most likely and take that shot at the bedroom door.

You will not always have a good "purchase/grip" on the pistol. As a matter of fact, most of the time you will never have a good one. Try shooting with a terrible grip and make a good self defense shot, it happens.

Instead of using your trigger finger, use your middle finger for grins and giggles. Hell, you might find out that you shoot better using that one instead of the pointer finger. I know females who shoot this way because their middle finger is longer and they can get a better press with it.

How about this..... use your strong hand to grip the pistol securely with all your fingers under the trigger guard. Use your support hand finger to press the trigger from that side.

Get your trigger finger ALL the way through that trigger guard and press with the fat pad closest to your palm and see what happens. I mean, so much finger that you can depress the mag release button with the tip.:)

When tooling around the house, why not just carry a pistol around? (Unloaded of course!).. Carry it as you do things. Learn how to adapt doing something 1 handed or even with both hands incorporating the holding of the pistol SAFELY away from you and others.
    This could prove valuable if you are ever in a fight over your weapon and it becomes second nature for you to try and keep that barrel from pointing towards you.Building up a second nature. Hell, if it makes you feel more comfortable, take the slide and barrel off just using the frame. Anything to help you point it in a different direction other than your body.

I could keep going and going but you get the idea. Naturally all this can be done dry firing just to get your hands used to the mechanics.
    The shape of a pistol and movement of the trigger is finite. We have 10 fingers, 2 hands and 2 arms that can move almost infinitely, let's learn how to use them that way. Don't limit yourself.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's a fantastic post, to be honest its "sticky" worthy.

I believe there's a similar process for when a Glock Trigger Spring breaks, you have to manually reset the trigger by pushing it forward.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's a fantastic post, to be honest its "sticky" worthy.

I believe there's a similar process for when a Glock Trigger Spring breaks, you have to manually reset the trigger by pushing it forward.

This is what I was initially getting at. I don't know enough about the functions of a pistol to know if this is something that is inherent to most functions or if different pistols in fact operate "differently". Wanting to see if there are different "tips n tricks" of other firearms.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    The P64 has a flat sheetmetal trigger bar/disconnector that can move out of its proper location when the grips are removed. When I received mine and partially disassembed it for inspection, I learned this the hard way. Before I figured out what happened and how to reassemble it properly, I noticed that trigger would reset if the gun was held upside-down.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The P64 has a flat sheetmetal trigger bar/disconnector that can move out of its proper location when the grips are removed. When I received mine and partially disassembed it for inspection, I learned this the hard way. Before I figured out what happened and how to reassemble it properly, I noticed that trigger would reset if the gun was held upside-down.

A silly as it seems, this is the reason why many/most/all police agencies who issue weapons do not allow the user to remove and swap grips themselves. Things like this most don't know about and would not know what to look for like a certified armorer would.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A silly as it seems, this is the reason why many/most/all police agencies who issue weapons do not allow the user to remove and swap grips themselves. Things like this most don't know about and would not know what to look for like a certified armorer would.

BINGO! It's one of the subjects touched on in the Sig Armorer's course

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Go with the E2 grips and you don't need to worry about the screws.

I just installed the E2 grips, thin trigger, new main spring and trigger spring. Haven't shot the gun yet but everything looks peachy and my popcaps feel the same.

Something could have come out of place when the spring was off. although I don't think that trigger spring holds anything in place. Did you happen to mess with the main spring (spring on the back of the gun)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What? Did you read my original post? It's a shooting tip. Learned at work years ago.

Last edited:

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Lol wow. Yes I have, sorta, just not all at once. I take care of my 2 year old and 2 month old and have read bits and pieces of this thread over the last week or so. Anytime I come back to it one of my kids worlds is ending and I read another line and close it. My bad list of cliff notes were about a trigger spring problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tse3gbs

Latest threads

Top Bottom