• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeye505

Nov 5, 2013
    Essex Md
    Saw this on PSA. Is this considered an HBAR since there is no cut in the barrel for a grenade launcher? Second has anyone ver bought one and is it decent for what it is. Base line AR
    43526_2.jpg

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...to-1-8-stainless-steel-freedom-rifle-kit.html

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    If it does not have HBAR stamped on the barrel... probably NO...

Call the seller and ask. They can tell you.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Okay... I just got off of the phone with "Ron" at PSA... He assures me that the kit in question (PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1/8 STAINLESS STEEL FREEDOM RIFLE KIT - 508077) IS an HBAR, 16 inch M4 profile stainless barrel.

redeye505

Nov 5, 2013
    Essex Md
    Roaddawg you sir are my hero. Thank you. This is a great deal for beginning an AR build just to get the basics. Add a lower reciever and y8u are good to go. Upgrade later.

Thank you again

And you just made 4 people I know very happy

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Okay... I just got off of the phone with "Ron" at PSA... He assures me that the kit in question (PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1/8 STAINLESS STEEL FREEDOM RIFLE KIT - 508077) IS an HBAR, 16 inch M4 profile stainless barrel.

I guess it depends on what the meaning of ''M-4 profile'' is,is....

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Not M4 profile. He may have meant to tell you that it had M4 feed ramps. Without manufacturer documentation I'd want to know the dimensions under the handguards before calling it an HBAR. That being said, I'd be surprised to find a modern stainless non-M4 profile barrel that is not HBAR.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not M4 profile. He may have meant to tell you that it had M4 feed ramps. Without manufacturer documentation I'd want to know the dimensions under the handguards before calling it an HBAR. That being said, I'd be surprised to find a modern stainless non-M4 profile barrel that is not HBAR.

Pic doesn't look like an H-bar but, who can tell without looking under the hood. I guess if they 'say' it's an H-bar, it is? Sorry. I don't trust PSA but hey, that's my personal foible...

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    This is tempting to order one, but looking through their barrels, they don't list a 1/8 twist stainless barrel; but looking at the 1/7 barrels they have stainless in both standard and HBAR profiles. So I'm not certain that this actually is an HBAR.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I guess it depends on what the meaning of ''M-4 profile'' is,is....

Barrel: 416 Stainless steel. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/8 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. Barrel is finished off with a standard handguard, F-Marked gas sight base, and A2 flash hider.

No written description that it is HBAR profile. Good to call and verify. Better if they state it in the barrel description.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I found this one:
    PSA 18" CHF Midlength 5.56 NATO 1/7 Rifle Kit - 508067 $499

Barrel: A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its required use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. This heavy profile barrel is Mil-spec phosphate coated, High Pressure tested and Magnetic Particle inspected. Barrel is finished off with an F-marked front sight post with sling swivel, standard handguards and an A2 flash hider.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    If it's an M4 profile barrel, it's not an HBAR. You cannot have it both ways.

Hey... I hammered the guy with questions and he double checked and was very patient as I asked again "Are you sure it is a heavy barrel kit?" I can only tell you what he told me. Now as to "profile" he may have been referring to the feed ramp configuration...

I called... I reported what THEIR REP said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom