• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009
    So....in the interest of trying as hard as possible to not be a heavy pig, has the MSP said what can happen to HBARS that are purchased in state?

Fluting the barrel should not change the fact it has a heavy profile barrel (though lighter now).

BCM KMR and a few other changes should drop the weight and keep it still an HBAR......right?

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I would tend to think you are correct however I am not sure how the state would view this unless the barrel was fluted at the factory.

bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009
    Dude, an HBAR does not really add that much weight. Maybe it's time to hit the gym if those few ounces are making a huge difference.

I'm curious what you think the HSLD guys use?

The new M4A1 profile is certainly not light, but HBARs are heavy pigs.

Actually....I can't remember when the last time I held a rifle and said, "DAMN, THIS KILLING MACHINE IS TOOOO LIGHT AND EASY TO POINT, BETTER MAKE IT A HEAVY PIG!!"
    ;)

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I have built to uppers so far. The first was a light barrel and the second was an Hbar. The Hbar is noticeably heaver. I purchased a Bushmaster 25th anniversary Hbar and the barrel was fluted. If I decide to build another Hbar I will buy a fluted barrel. I think as long as it has Hbar stamped on the barrel you should be GTG.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    My white oak heavy barrel is almost 10lb for the upper.

No bitching but that's a pretty heavy rifle when my M1 is both lighter and feels more balanced than the AR :-)

bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009
    I have built to uppers so far. The first was a light barrel and the second was an Hbar. The Hbar is noticeably heaver. I purchased a Bushmaster 25th anniversary Hbar and the barrel was fluted. If I decide to build another Hbar I will buy a fluted barrel. I think as long as it has Hbar stamped on the barrel you should be GTG.

Was the 25th Shrubby cash and carry in MD? With the fluted barrel?

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    the whole ****in law is stupid. I don't know why some may be inclined to think their interpretation of this modification would be any different. The weight is there to punish you. You must carry the burden for thinking you were free.

bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009
    the whole ****in law is stupid. I don't know why some may be inclined to think their interpretation of this modification would be any different. The weight is there to punish you. You must carry the burden for thinking you were free.

:lol:

I completely understand the law is tarded. I am thinking about friends who failed to plan for Oct 1, 2013. I did not fail to plan.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Dude, an HBAR does not really add that much weight. Maybe it's time to hit the gym if those few ounces are making a huge difference.

^^^^^^^^^^^^YUP^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is utterly ridiculous to worry about 3 ounces of additional weight when talking about a 16 inch barrel with carbine length hand guards.

Weight only becomes a problem when a 20 inch service barrel has rifle length hand guards and is .980 diameter from the receiver to the front sight/gas block.

And if you're building a 20 inch bench gun then weight is your friend.

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD

It is utterly ridiculous to worry about 3 ounces of additional weight when talking about a 16 inch barrel with carbine length hand guards.

Weight only becomes a problem when a 20 inch service barrel has rifle length hand guards and is .980 diameter from the receiver to the front sight/gas block.

Reminds me of the first AR ever built, 20" stainless DCM Comp barrel, full length handguards with a bipod and 4x12 40mm scope. M16 FA bolt for heavier weight. Flat top upper with detachable carry handle and detachable scope mount.

1.5" groups at 300 yards all day.

That gun was so flipping heavy that on the bench it never moved when fired. But it was awfully heavy to attempt to fire from a standing position. After 20 seconds of holding on a target you were looking to lower the rifle.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Some guys seriously need to eat their Wheaties and put on their big boy pants!

Ayup said the OFWG!

I'm curious what you think the HSLD guys use?

The new M4A1 profile is certainly not light, but HBARs are heavy pigs.

Actually....I can't remember when the last time I held a rifle and said, "DAMN, THIS KILLING MACHINE IS TOOOO LIGHT AND EASY TO POINT, BETTER MAKE IT A HEAVY PIG!!"
    ;)

I'd bet better than 98% of the registered users on this site don't qualify as or even come close to High Speed Low Drag.

Standard H-Bars are not that heavy.

Really? Killing machine? Are you 12?

My white oak heavy barrel is almost 10lb for the upper.

No bitching but that's a pretty heavy rifle when my M1 is both lighter and feels more balanced than the AR :-)

For balance get the lead wedge for the butt if you're using it for matches. You may need to judiciously drill a little out to get the balance exactly where you want it as the wedge tends to put the balance in the fore part of the magwell.

Yep!

Reminds me of the first AR ever built, 20" stainless DCM Comp barrel, full length handguards with a bipod and 4x12 40mm scope. M16 FA bolt for heavier weight. Flat top upper with detachable carry handle and detachable scope mount.

1.5" groups at 300 yards all day.

That gun was so flipping heavy that on the bench it never moved when fired. But it was awfully heavy to attempt to fire from a standing position. After 20 seconds of holding on a target you were looking to lower the rifle.

Meh, typical for High Power and you're on the line for 22 minutes minimum. You can rest the butt on your stool between shots though.

Top rifle Bushmaster NM, light weight at 10-1/2 pounds.

OK ladies, eat your Wheaties, put on your big boy pants, man up and realize the lower rifle is a heavy rifle at 17-1/2 pounds. No it is NOT a standard H-Bar even if it looks like one. White Oak Precision upper with Satern ultra-heavy match barrel and the aforementioned chunk of lead in the butt.

Attachments

• IMG-20120730-00095.jpg
      IMG-20120730-00095.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 795
    Last edited:

precisionfire

May 20, 2011
    Martinsburg WV
    To answer the Original Question, some of the BUSHMASTER AR Hbars came from factory with Fluted barrels. By Letter from MD State Police the Bushmaster Hbars were A Ok. So it stands to reason that fluting does not violate the Hbar Rule.

bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009

Ounces become pounds........

I really don't know why this discussion went this direction. I do not use my AR15's for NM competitions.

I like to do low light shooting. Carbine classes. Shooting on the move. ie, non-fudd stuff.

Adding a light and optic adds weight, with the light usually being towards the end of the barrel. A lighter barrel typically offsets that.

A lighter rifle will always point faster than a heavy rifle. If someone can tell me how "eating my weaties" and going to the gym will make the laws of physics no longer matter, then please explain.

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Because then there would be no reason to pull out their e-peen and try to measure it up to others who are obviously far less manly than themselves because they enjoy carrying heavy things to show the rest of the ladies exactely how strong grok is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom