• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Mobil 1.

I'm still currently using Slip2000 EWL, but I have used Mobil 1 on dry firearms in the past and it works great. And the price can't be beat.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    There have been a few comparisons done where metal plates were treated and left in the weather... for long term I think one of the best was Breakfree Collector (formulated for longer term storage than the usual Breakfree CLP). I _think_ slip2000 was one of the other longest lasting treatments, but I'm not sure.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I think it's been said that synthetic motor oil is great as a lube but not as a long term storage.

Here are part of the results of the test I was trying to remember. This photo was taken after 10 days left out in the weather. There are more photos, but after 14 days or so they all look pretty rough.

The three sections that are most rust free left-to-right are Breakfree collector, Eezox, and Slip2000 EWL. The one on the far right is Mobil 1 5w30.

Link to thread.

Attachments

• day14.jpeg
      day14.jpeg
      30.1 KB · Views: 782

SouthCo

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm sure you're exhausted from your lengthy reply.

Would you care to elaborate, Sir?

But don't exert yourself.

:)

LOL, Yes they have more than one viscosity. I'm not sure about all of them nor am I sure which one would work for you. Your question was a short one so I gave a quick reply. You can always consult with Google too.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    LOL, Yes they have more than one viscosity. I'm not sure about all of them nor am I sure which one would work for you. Your question was a short one so I gave a quick reply. You can always consult with Google too.

I think your reply was completely appropriate. Mobile 1 comes in all the viscosities one would expect in a motor oil. I don't know if the answer was expected to be an exhaustive list, or what. Google can provide that.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

He's messing with you. Pay him no mind ;)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For storage, EEZOX is probably the best. As a gun lube/grease save money and buy Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease with red moly. There is nothing better or cheaper.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    For storage, EEZOX is probably the best. As a gun lube/grease save money and buy Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease with red moly. There is nothing better or cheaper.

Did I hear somewhere not to use moly grease with aluminum parts? Or am I confusing it with graphite lube (which I _know_ is bad for aluminum)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom