• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I heat my entire house with firewood. I tend to keep about 3 years worth of firewood on hand. Like to make sure it gets seasoned pretty good. I'll attach a pic of what I cut, split, and stacked in 2011. I have even more firewood on hand right now and am looking to get a truck load for my elderly neighbors and another truckload for my brothers right now. If I bring anymore to my house, I think my wife will kill me. For those of you that know saws, I am running a Stihl MS261 and MS660. Debating the purchase of a MS362 and/or MS150c-e just for kicks. Unlike the OP, I pretty much use a hydraulic splitter to split it all. I get enough exercise just using the splitter. There is always more work to get done, so the faster the better.

If anybody in the area is an arborist and looking to dump log loads instead of paying to dump them elsewhere, let me know.

Attachments

• Hearth 2.jpg
      Hearth 2.jpg
      105.6 KB · Views: 229

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    An MS660, holy chit!! I thought my brand new MS290 was bad ass.

Yeah, I really like the MS660 on anything 24" around or larger. I am running a 25" bar on it right now with full chisel chain and it goes through a 24" log like butter. Too heavy for all day use though. Think I am going to get the MS362 and put the 25" bar on it and a 36" bar on the MS660. Running an 18" bar on the MS261.

If I can find the time, I am going to weld together a horizontal splitter with a log lift on it and a 6 way wedge. Even with all the power tools, I still get one heck of a workout. It just means I get to process more firewood with the limited amount of time I have. Heat both my house and my parents' house with the wood I get and I keep between 12 and 15 cords on hand here.

Good times.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Yeah, I really like the MS660 on anything 24" around or larger. I am running a 25" bar on it right now with full chisel chain and it goes through a 24" log like butter. Too heavy for all day use though. Think I am going to get the MS362 and put the 25" bar on it and a 36" bar on the MS660. Running an 18" bar on the MS261.

If I can find the time, I am going to weld together a horizontal splitter with a log lift on it and a 6 way wedge. Even with all the power tools, I still get one heck of a workout. It just means I get to process more firewood with the limited amount of time I have. Heat both my house and my parents' house with the wood I get and I keep between 12 and 15 cords on hand here.

Good times.

I have a nice section of I-beam you can have for free if you want it. Would be ideal for a splitter. I'll measure it if you're interested. I also have a bunch of angle iron you can have if you can use that.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have a nice section of I-beam you can have for free if you want it. Would be ideal for a splitter. I'll measure it if you're interested. I also have a bunch of angle iron you can have if you can use that.

If you can give me the measurements of the I beam, I'll see if it will work for me. There is a program/website out there that measures the stress on an I beam for a log splitter.

I'm interested in the angle iron too. Not sure I need much of it for the splitter, but I am pretty sure I could find a use for it at some point (e.g., aquarium stands, trailers).

longgunnewb

Textbook Libertarian
    Feb 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I enjoy splitting wood too, as long as it's splittable. Locust is among the easiest, and I'm blessed with several large downed trees -- they don't rot. Some hardwoods are virtually unsplittable by hand and will even cause a hydraulic splitter to sputter.

One of us is definitely wrong on what we are calling locust then. I helped my father in law split some wood last fall that is what I would call locust and that was the most dense, stringiest crap I have ever touched. I went at it by myself and got about a dozen good, solid hits on it with a maul without even a crack in it. It took him and I about 15 minutes to split one round. That was using two wedges and alternating turns. At one point I had wedges driven into both ends and I could see 1.5" of daylight through the middle of the log and it still wouldn't come apart.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    One of us is definitely wrong on what we are calling locust then. I helped my father in law split some wood last fall that is what I would call locust and that was the most dense, stringiest crap I have ever touched. I went at it by myself and got about a dozen good, solid hits on it with a maul without even a crack in it. It took him and I about 15 minutes to split one round. That was using two wedges and alternating turns. At one point I had wedges driven into both ends and I could see 1.5" of daylight through the middle of the log and it still wouldn't come apart.

Locust is not very stringy. I made the mistake of cutting down a couple of gum trees in 2011 and it was painful splitting it with a hydraulic splitter. One of the most worthless types of firewood. When green, it is pretty heavy with water, but it seasons fast and is pretty light within a year. It made a ton of ash, it has hardly any btus in it, and it burns fast. Only good thing about it is that all the strings off of it make it light up quick. Good to start a fire, terrible for an overnight burn. I had well over a cord of it split, so I burned it in the early season.

The locust I have been splitting is rather easy. It does have a few strings in it, but nowhere near gum.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I enjoy splitting wood too, as long as it's splittable. Locust is among the easiest, and I'm blessed with several large downed trees -- they don't rot. Some hardwoods are virtually unsplittable by hand and will even cause a hydraulic splitter to sputter.

Easiest hardwood I have found to split so far has been red oak. Both white oak and locust have some strings to them, but red oak just splits nice and easy. Problem is that red oak takes forever to season. I'm going to try to get 5 years ahead so I don't have to worry about all this seasoning stuff. I'll be burning bone dry wood. Just need to figure out where I am going to stack it all.

longgunnewb

Textbook Libertarian
    Feb 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Locust is not very stringy. I made the mistake of cutting down a couple of gum trees in 2011 and it was painful splitting it with a hydraulic splitter. One of the most worthless types of firewood. When green, it is pretty heavy with water, but it seasons fast and is pretty light within a year. It made a ton of ash, it has hardly any btus in it, and it burns fast. Only good thing about it is that all the strings off of it make it light up quick. Good to start a fire, terrible for an overnight burn. I had well over a cord of it split, so I burned it in the early season.

The locust I have been splitting is rather easy. It does have a few strings in it, but nowhere near gum.

After doing some more research I realize that the guy that told me it was locust was wrong. It was definitely elm. I will never touch it again. It looked identical to this after we finally got two rounds split. The other rounds my father in law just ripped up with the chainsaw.

35mqus9.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    After doing some more research I realize that the guy that told me it was locust was wrong. It was definitely elm. I will never touch it again. It looked identical to this after we finally got two rounds split. The other rounds my father in law just ripped up with the chainsaw.

35mqus9.jpg

Yeah, elm is not very fun to split either, but it is better than a gum tree. Less stringy and it burns pretty decent. Were you guys using a hydraulic splitter or an axe/maul? I don't mind splitting elm too much with the hydraulic splitter, but I prefer oak over elm for its ease of splitting and btu content. The frustrating thing about oak is that it takes forever to season. Locust takes a little less time to season and it has about the same btu content.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Love splitting some wood by hand. The sense of accomplishment is amazing.
    :thumbsup:

Of course, my arms and shoulders pay through the week LOL

Driving the roads, it irritate the living ehll out of me seeing all that good wood going to waste... powerline trimmings, storm debris... all just rotting away... and then people are paying 180 per cord... Brother in law just bought 10 cords for thier home, 40 bucks per cord... course its in NYS

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom