• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Here's an interesting, & very brief article & video I came across in an USCCA email that just same out. This could go into the Competitive Shooting forum just as well.

I have been using the rack-the-slide method in IDPA, but might have to give the slide-stop method a try.

Watch the video, read the article, AND THE COMMENTS & see what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    My take on this is:

IF you carry a specific model weapon every day (e.g. duty carry, CCW, etc), or use a particular weapon for competition, and it is meant to be placed in battery using the slide stop, and you have trained through repetition to do so, then use the slide stop.

IF you rotate through different carry or duty pistols, or train with more than one, or have a mix of slide stop operated and non-slide stop operated weapons, or believe in the SHTF possibility, then power stroke it. (grasp slide and push frame)

Using the slide stop IS faster but takes more training because of fine motor control.

Power stroking always works, but is slower. Makarovs, Walther PP, Glock, 1911, and Sig all have different placement and size of slide stop, or none at all. Plus, the gross motor control involved means less chance of a "tactical whoops" like missing the slide release. Additionally, on cheaper pistols that do not lock back on empty, or a weapon that malfunctions and doesnt lock back on last round, a slide rack/power stroke will be second nature to someone who trains with it, whereas a shooter who uses the slide stop may delay while processing the nature of the failure.

Finally, I heard, but cannot confirm, that Glocks are not meant to be operated via slidestop, and doing so may prematurely wear the stop lever or slide.

Personally, I use the powerstroke method as described above, but for a competition shooter I can see the advantages of using the slide stop (i.e. speed, and targets dont shoot back)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There is no right or wrong approach, use the technique that works best for your gun and your shoot.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My first issued Glock 22 would close if I slammed the magazine in just right. That was awfully convenient.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My first issued Glock 22 would close if I slammed the magazine in just right. That was awfully convenient.

All of them will with a mag that's loaded over half way, along with M&P's and the HK USP (but you'll break a base-plate on the mag if you get it wrong, don't ask...)

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Here's my 2c: If you are competing and want to be competitive at a high level it is faster to depress the slide stop.
    (im sure folks will chime in and say "i can wrack it just as fast as you can press the button" but that is just not true. Now the reliability of either method MAY be debated)
    AND, if you carry the same gun for defensive purposes, and are extremely proficient with the slide stop method then by all means continue to use that method in your defensive practices.

If you are using competition to simply give yourself a chance to run your defensive tool box in a time pressure environment and to sharpen your manipulations and feel that wracking the slide is more positive and reliable then I would say good to go as well.

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I rack the slide but have been known to slam a mag home causing the slide to close on it's own.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Using the stop as a release can cause wear on the slide and the stop. You are also not using the full stroke of the spring and may not pick up the next round/fully go into battery, especially on a dirty gun.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    Has anyone ever asked the manufacturers?

This from the S&W M&P manual.

• Pull the slide to the rear and release it, allowing it to carry fully
    forward. This strips a cartridge from the magazine and seats it in
    the chamber of the barrel.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Using the stop as a release can cause wear on the slide and the stop. You are also not using the full stroke of the spring and may not pick up the next round/fully go into battery, especially on a dirty gun.

While this is likely true, and i suspect it is more so for a gun like the 1911. I doubt you could shoot a (insert modern polymer frame gun) enough even without cleaning for this to cause an issue.

Also, I run a light recoil spring in competition and even with that lessened tension I have never had a problem. Not saying its not possible, its just not what ive seen in my experience.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    I checked my HK USP manual and it's called a slide release there and has instructions to include using it that way. I can also confirm my USP slide will close when slamming a magazine in.

That being said I don't train defensively that way because: Glock.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    For those that might know, I use the slide stop quite often. Recently, I have noticed that my slide will sometimes unlock upon a new mag being inserted. Could this be caused by using the slide stop and wearing something down? This is on a Ruger SR-9

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Depends on the gun. Rack the slide on an m9 and you may end up decocking the gun or tossing it on safe by accident. For them, the slide release is the way to go. For others, like a glock, racking the slide is better. As with all gun things, blanket rules tend to not work. Use your brain, analyze the equipment, analyze the situation, and use what is the most logical solution.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For those that might know, I use the slide stop quite often. Recently, I have noticed that my slide will sometimes unlock upon a new mag being inserted. Could this be caused by using the slide stop and wearing something down? This is on a Ruger SR-9

You'd be surprised how many semi-auto handguns will release if you seat the mag with some force.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's common to have tooling marks or burrs on the catch. Use will smooth things out. When aggressively seating a mag, some force pushes the frame of the gun forward. The slide lags behind a bit, and can cause the slide catch to fall out of the way. Some guns are more prone to this than others, but you can do it easier by seating the mag which a slight forward bump on the heel of the grip. If I want to I can reliably drop the slide on my m&p's by seating the mag this way.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I don't use the slide stop release as my thumbs are relatively short and most of my pistols are double-stacks. Since I try to keep one manual of arms for pistols, I just rack the slide on all of my pistols. Also, all of my pistols have a thumb safety, so that's another ingrained motion I have when drawing and firing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom