• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    from being beaten against a tree til it disintegrates. :mad54: I installed a new Tapco trigger and hammer and now I can't get the bloody safety to engage. It looks like its physically too short to click into where it should to prevent the mechanism from activating when you pull the trigger.

I posted some pics to imgur here:

http://imgur.com/a/gKuga

thanks in advance for any help.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    This help?

Attachments

• 20150621_110659.jpg
      20150621_110659.jpg
      47.4 KB · Views: 502

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The Trigger/Safety interaction is fairly simple, but it often needs to be fitted, or relieved for clearance, and not uncommon for safety levers to be defective or clocked wrong. Kinda hard to see what you have going on, but the first pic looks like it is in the top "safe" detent, the tab from the lever should block the right side leg of the trigger from moving enough to get anywhere near firing, looks like it is positioned over it, so should be long enough to block it from firing. In the lower 2 detents(FA/SA) the trigger legs should clear the safety. Should be able to rotate the lever in, and the tab should be able to move past the disconnector(OK if it rubs it), and should sweep freely through the 3 positions without binding against the trigger legs.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Getting the safety over the disconnector can be tight. In rare cases I've had to file a tiny bit of material from the bottom tab of the safety to be able to install it.

AKs have a spec, but tweaking that makes it run right that's pretty much par for the course.

Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    Thanks for all the input guys. I've been messing with it but no luck. Thinking I'm gonna drop it off at Duffy's on Friday and see what they think.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Note - many consider use of a full auto safety in a semi auto gun (as is the case with your gun) to be a safety hazard because removal of the safety can cause the gun to fire.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Note - many consider use of a full auto safety in a semi auto gun (as is the case with your gun) to be a safety hazard because removal of the safety can cause the gun to fire.

If one is removing the selector lever, it is assumed one has already cleared the firearm because nobody around here is stupid enough to choose to work on a firearm that is loaded, surely.

Therefore a "full auto" safety is no bigger a risk than anything else. ;)

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    If one is removing the selector lever, it is assumed one has already cleared the firearm because nobody around here is stupid enough to choose to work on a firearm that is loaded, surely.

Therefore a "full auto" safety is no bigger a risk than anything else. ;)

I generally agree with you. Note that I said "many," I did not say "I." ;) That said, why take the chance when the cost of a f-up is so high? We have all seen either poorly trained and/or idiotic shooters at the range. Why not make the gun as idiot proof as possible? This mod takes less than 5 minutes.

Despite my confidence and vigilance in my own gun safety, I will not always be around and I can't guarantee my guns will always be in experienced and well-educated hands. Thus, all of my AK builds have modified safeties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom