• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    While I appreciate all the condolences, the deceased was neither friend nor relative, and I had never met the gentleman. He was the father of my son's friend who I just offered to help when he told my son he had to ' take care of his father's guns'. I had no idea what I was walking into, but how many of us have ever gotten to walk into something like this?!!

Thanks for all the great advice.

Must have been surreal. Thanks for sharing.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I'm hoping some of those wheelguns go to consignment where I can go check them out, that pic alone was enough to catch my interest!

Hope all's going well for the man's family, it sounds like they really have their hands full for a while with everything he left.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    ...and I've been asked to help with liquidating the guy's guns. We spent the better part of the day cataloging guns; many NIB, multiples never opened, old milsurps, modern Desert Eagles, a boatload of Colt SAA's, some P08 Lugers, M1 Carbines,, Remington Nylon[66's, SKS's, Lee Enfields, many commemoratives, some consecutive serial numbers...... It will be a little while before the selling begins, but I'm just having a great deal of fun sorting through these beauties. Below are just a few samples;

-Unopened Colt Custom SAA
    -P08 Luger
    -Pre-64 Winchester 30-06 Lever (yes, a 12 ga. trench gun below that with ordance mark)
    -SAA's, S & W's, Colts
    -Desert Eagle 50 AE, NIB
    -Elmer Keith Commemorative .44 Mag

I can't begin to describe what it was like to be photographing and handling some of these weapons. Stay tuned

nice collection he had.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    nice collection he had.

To him it wasn't a collection, it was just hoarding. I was heartbroken a couple of times seeing a commemorative poorly stored-like the John Wayne revolver. Unfired in box and pristine on one side, pitted barrel on the other.:sad20:

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    An Unusual situation for sure, I have a few times come across things that should never have happened. I posted one or two here in the Past. If Your Interested search "Crying Shame". Shame He didn't Prepare and Care for that last Cattle Drive, Sad indeed. Prayers and Peace to the Family. We will all meet again on God's Golden Shore!

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    My brother in law was a hoarder and I had to clean his place up. Most of his stuff was just junk. Man them hoarders can sure pack it away.:sad20:

It is good some of their stuff has value.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I had a friend of a friend who asked me to sell some of his guns. He had maybe 200 long and handguns, but all of them were put into a bank safe and there were not one worth trying to sell for the money he was asking. I saw him at one of the show a few months later and he didn't one item all day. I don't know what he ever did with the firearms.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    A gun appraiser that was there to document items for estate purposes says it was not a clone. He should me the markings including the ordnance mark. Of all the guns, there was only 5-10 that were junk like rusted H & R's; 3 Norinco SKS's NIB. The rest were all top stuff including the 3 M1 Carbines and unopened drum mags for his Thompson.....

I only ask because of the box it's sitting on. Looks like a Norinco clone but maybe not. So... What about Norinco sks's new in box?

To him it wasn't a collection, it was just hoarding. I was heartbroken a couple of times seeing a commemorative poorly stored-like the John Wayne revolver. Unfired in box and pristine on one side, pitted barrel on the other.:sad20:

Wow. Now that's something I can't understand. Who'd want to pay good money for valuable pieces like that and then let it deteriorate?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    That is sad...

Wow. Now that's something I can't understand. Who'd want to pay good money for valuable pieces like that and then let it deteriorate?

The same people that turn in such a firearm for a $50-$100 gift certificat:sad20: Many are gifts/inheritance and the person doesnt know the value or is too stupid/lazy/anti-gun to care.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    That is sad...

The same people that turn in such a firearm for a $50-$100 gift certificat:sad20: Many are gifts/inheritance and the person doesnt know the value or is too stupid/lazy/anti-gun to care.

A lot of guys get the guns when they are younger and by the time they are in their 80s, they can't handle taking care of their collection anymore but still want to keep it. Unfortunately, the guns then rust away... Hopefully a qualified gunsmith can clean them up a decent bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

So sad to hear he didn't take care of them enough to prevent rusting. It looks like he was into 'cowboy action' guns. It would sure be nice if some type of a show could be staged. If he had a Thompson sub machine gun, I have never seen one of those outside of a museum. If you're going to try to clean and oil them up, put me down as a volunteer. PM me.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA

Hoarders brains don't work that way. Its about collecting as much shit as possible. It has nothing to do with the individual items nor do they care about the condition. They will fight about throwing away a 20 year old newspaper or rotten food from the fridge. I have dealt with family members that hoarded everything. Im talking full bags of stuff from walmart or the grocery store just sitting on the floor underneath a pile of other stuff. Never opened, never touched. Its all about getting the stuff not about using it. Everyone likely knows at least one hoarder but doesn't realize it because they act perfectly normal outside of their home.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Doc you got your hands full. Best of luck and condolences to the family. I own Rick3bears Pro Firearms Care. If you have a question about cleaning or restoring, pm me. Glad to help a brother MD Shooters guy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom