• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My current reloading setup is a Lyman O-style single stage press and a Lee 4-hole Turret press. Most of my reloading is for bottle-neck cartridges, and so far I've not had a problem with keeping up with my reloading needs with my current gear. But now that I'm loading 9mm, I'm feeling the need to get a progressive press. I'm looking at the Dillon Square Deal press for 9mm as it's set up out of the box for reloading 9mm so no dicking around with setting up a progressive press. Graf & Sons has it for $384.99, plus another $67.99 for the mounting plates. Since it comes with 9mm dies and just about everything else I need besides supplies for 9mm, does anyone see a reason not to get this?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    The main reason that I see to look at another option is that for another $55 you can get a 550B and you have over 160 calibers that you are able to load as opposed to just pistol calibers. Sure, you will have to buy dies for 9mm, but you can change calibers in half the time of the Square Deal. The 550 also uses standard 7/8x14 dies.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    It is probably the best press out right now for people who are going to be reloading straight wall pistol cases only on it. The drawbacks aside from the caliber limitations are the proprietary die system, and the lack of case feed or bullet feed. Working over the course of a couple evenings, and at a very relaxed pace, putting up 1-2k shouldn't be an issue. I do personally prefer my 650 and 1050 on autodrives. If you even think you would like to step up the volume on your bottleneck cartriges, i would recommend the 550b at a minimum.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd rather have a dedicated 9mm reloading setup versus switching out stuff which can get lost, which is why I'm looking at the Square Deal. The bottle-neck cartridges I'm reloading for are for cowboy action and I'm loading them with FFFg BP, so I really don't want to be running BP through a press like this. Yes, other folks do it, I'm not one of them :) If things really heat up, I'll get a separate one for 40 S&W. I REALLY hate swapping stuff on reloading equipment.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    The "strong mount" name came from a marketing guy. Two sheet metal parts bent into a "Z" are not going to flex less than a casting. Then again "mounts the press above the bench vs off the front mount" doesn't have the same ring to it.

I have had two SD's for over 30 years and have loaded untold thousands of rounds with them even ammunition used at national championship matches. That said back then they cost $130, for what they cost now I would (and have) saved a little more and get a press that offers more.

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013
    I'd rather have a dedicated 9mm reloading setup versus switching out stuff which can get lost, which is why I'm looking at the Square Deal. The bottle-neck cartridges I'm reloading for are for cowboy action and I'm loading them with FFFg BP, so I really don't want to be running BP through a press like this. Yes, other folks do it, I'm not one of them :) If things really heat up, I'll get a separate one for 40 S&W. I REALLY hate swapping stuff on reloading equipment.

This sounds familiar. I swore I wouldn't do bottleneck on a progressive. You know where I am now? Everything in volumes higher than 50rds at a time on an XL650 with casefeed. If only it swaged crimps out...

If you are not changing primer size, swapping from pistol to rifle takes less than 3 minutes if you have a toolhead and powder measure for each.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This sounds familiar. I swore I wouldn't do bottleneck on a progressive. You know where I am now? Everything in volumes higher than 50rds at a time on an XL650 with casefeed. If only it swaged crimps out...

If you are not changing primer size, swapping from pistol to rifle takes less than 3 minutes if you have a toolhead and powder measure for each.

I don't want to run Black Powder through the same powder feeder as smokeless. It's too messy and I don't want parts rusting on the press because I'm running Black Powder through it.

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013
    I don't want to run Black Powder through the same powder feeder as smokeless. It's too messy and I don't want parts rusting on the press because I'm running Black Powder through it.

Roger, that's why I mentioned using a separate powder measure assembly for each toolhead/caliber.

If you want to keep it off the press entirely, I get it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Roger, that's why I mentioned using a separate powder measure assembly for each toolhead/caliber.

If you want to keep it off the press entirely, I get it.

Yup. Normal smokeless powder doesn't leave a trail of gunk like BP does. I only load up enough for a match a few days before the match as it's also a pain to clean off of my bench. Running 120 rounds of BP cartridges is pretty cool, but it's messy. I do appreciate the points you've made.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Jim...

Don't get me wrong. It is a great little press. With everything self contained for 3something, it isn't too hateful on the wallet to have more than one. The auto index is what makes the press. If you KNOW that you won't be wanting to do more than it is capable of, go for it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Jim...

Don't get me wrong. It is a great little press. With everything self contained for 3something, it isn't too hateful on the wallet to have more than one. The auto index is what makes the press. If you KNOW that you won't be wanting to do more than it is capable of, go for it.

Yup, plus it isn't huge, which is a big deal for me since I live in an apartment now :sad20:

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013
    Yup, plus it isn't huge, which is a big deal for me since I live in an apartment now :sad20:

There's a few threads in the reloading section on Brian Enos Forums with folks who have set up limited space tables with SDBs.

I don't have an SDB and can't comment on mounting it, but the dillon strong mounts on the full size presses are a good investment if you do not have the most solid bench to work with.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Even built a 2" receiver mount for one of mine so it is right there to work up loads.

3533895716_0a7f11a958.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The subject of press size came up. The footprint for a 550 isn't alpreciably greater than an SD. I lived in an apartment at one time and kept all my reloading confind to a 36" desk with the press mounted on a 1" x 4" to reinforce the press. Just sayin'

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Well, after all of this, the guy on Craigslist came through and I ended up with a barely used 550 with a bunch of extras. It came with three caliber conversions, .38 Special, .44 Special, and .45 ACP, 1500 small pistol primers, some W231, brass, bullets, and an orange brass trimmer. Anyone need a set of .44 Special dies?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Well, after all of this, the guy on Craigslist came through and I ended up with a barely used 550 with a bunch of extras. It came with three caliber conversions, .38 Special, .44 Special, and .45 ACP, 1500 small pistol primers, some W231, brass, bullets, and an orange brass trimmer. Anyone need a set of .44 Special dies?

Welcome to the 550 family! Time to drink your first cup of blue Kool -Aid!!!!

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013

Nice. I think you will be happy with the 550. A lot of flexibility in that press.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom