• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Not buying one immediately, but for those Glock fans, which one - G17 or G19 and why? I'm not a Glock guy, but like the looks and upgrades on these.

I will likely never carry either, so consider the use cases to be training classes, IDPA and/or general paper punching. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    for your purposes stated above it 6 of one and half dozen of another. The 17 is a littler larger but honestly the difference in your hand while shooting is minimal! The decrease in size is more noticeable only really when carrying.

Your more then welcome to try both of mine at Gilberts one day if your up this way.

For paper punching and training classes if the extra few rounds means something to you then boom try the 17. I carry a G33 and sometimes a 19 depending on convenience.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If you have large hands you may not like the 19. The 17 will give you a slightly longer sight radius. Really it's personal preference, and with the Gen 4's you get to try the different backstraps, so that should help.

Tell your wife you can't decide so you need to get both of them.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Your more then welcome to try both of mine at Gilberts one day if your up this way.

For paper punching and training classes if the extra few rounds means something to you then boom try the 17. I carry a G33 and sometimes a 19 depending on convenience.

Thanks for the offer. It's unlikely that I'll be up there soon though. In looking at the specs, I'm leaning more towards the 17.

If you have large hands you may not like the 19. The 17 will give you a slightly longer sight radius. Really it's personal preference, and with the Gen 4's you get to try the different backstraps, so that should help.

Tell your wife you can't decide so you need to get both of them.

It is my understanding that these are gen 3's and don't have the different backstraps?

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    personally i recommend subcompacts...before anyone else speaks, if you're such a good shooter that the extra 1" in barrel makes a difference to you then you wouldn't be here asking questions as an example...
    now you said not carrying, etc...then I would go w/ the compact/ mid size...I'm a glock guy, I've owned 5 and used other Gen2's elsewhere, never had an issue w/ them- love em. So here are my rules for handgun purchases (guns are tools so apply the same questions): are you planning on buying more than 1 gun or no? if yes then start w/ a 9mm and buy a 2nd one for your "other", then after getting comfortable w/ it look to buy a better caliber down the road and use your experiences to shape that purchase in the future (size, caliber, etc)...the 9mm is the "1 and done" all around pistol round, but like a swiss army knife its not the best for all applications...9mm will kill someone, as will .22 pistols like Moussad used to carry (hey you put 5 of any round into someone's heart- they'll die; but are you that good), 9mm 147gr JHP is good for defense, 9mm ammo is cheap and able to be "re acquired", 9mm is not likely to punch through armor or barriers well though, even a windshield is questionable out how much it will deflect the angle of the bullet whereas .45 and 10mm will...you said you won't carry- etc...I wouldn't let that lock in your decision now, you or the world may change. If you have a job where you can drop $500 whenever you want then screw it, buy what you want and buy again later...thats my half cents worth

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    Gen4s are the only ones w/ ambidextrous features, i believe any of the "SF" labeled ones have the changeable backstrap feature...I have small hands and Gen3's are fine for me, so if you're not a lefty then save the $ cuz the 4's are a bunch more. basically you can buy a gen3 and good sights for about the price of stock gen4's. My ex who i taught to shoot is a lefty but due to her using my guns and being used to operating a R handed base gun left handed ( i have as well when I shattered my wrist) even she is like "i'll save the $, the extra features aren't that important to me". so unless theres a hard reason that you need a feature of the Gen4, save your $. also Glocks are resilient so you can even buy them used and feel ok about it, usually the worst prob you have is maybe replacing beat up sights...actually for you I would buy a used one and go from there...it'll at least encourage you to buy a second back up weapon- LOL

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    personally i recommend subcompacts...before anyone else speaks, if you're such a good shooter that the extra 1" in barrel makes a difference to you then you wouldn't be here asking questions as an example...
    now you said not carrying, etc...then I would go w/ the compact/ mid size...I'm a glock guy, I've owned 5 and used other Gen2's elsewhere, never had an issue w/ them- love em. So here are my rules for handgun purchases (guns are tools so apply the same questions): are you planning on buying more than 1 gun or no? if yes then start w/ a 9mm and buy a 2nd one for your "other", then after getting comfortable w/ it look to buy a better caliber down the road and use your experiences to shape that purchase in the future (size, caliber, etc)...the 9mm is the "1 and done" all around pistol round, but like a swiss army knife its not the best for all applications...9mm will kill someone, as will .22 pistols like Moussad used to carry (hey you put 5 of any round into someone's heart- they'll die; but are you that good), 9mm 147gr JHP is good for defense, 9mm ammo is cheap and able to be "re acquired", 9mm is not likely to punch through armor or barriers well though, even a windshield is questionable out how much it will deflect the angle of the bullet whereas .45 and 10mm will...you said you won't carry- etc...I wouldn't let that lock in your decision now, you or the world may change. If you have a job where you can drop $500 whenever you want then screw it, buy what you want and buy again later...thats my half cents worth

Hey Mr. filibuster...... Do you know what the Vickers models are?

Snally is a very experienced shooter/gun owner. He is not looking for fitting advice, he is asking about the specific choices that come with these models, to use as a beat around the bush range gun.

Slow down Hoss.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    the 17 has always felt too big for me, even as a fullsize handgun. The g19 is a good all around gun, plenty of real estate for comfy grip, while being small enough you can carry it if need be.

I prefer the 23 myself, but the 19 is no slouch at all

Edit: After reviewing the product, why not just get a regular glock with night sights? Nothing on these 'custom' guns jumps out as being unique or particularly of utility other than the sights

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If I couldn't buy a Glock for $398.00, I would go with the Vickers. Either model.
    I haven't priced out the cost of the extra goodies (mag extension, Slide release and fiber sight), but wouldn't the total cost of those things add up to the about asking price of a Vickers (from average civilian retail cost) of a G19 or 17?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you put it together yourself, it's probably a bit cheaper to get a $500 Glock. The slide release and mag extension upgrades are easy to do on one's own and should be around $30 for the parts. I would be surprised if a front fiber sight runs much more than $70 on a G19 (it's easy to find night sights for Glocks in this price range). The thing that may be hard to find at a discount is a grey-framed Glock.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you will never carry, then the larger 17 is the better choice. longer sight radius and more capacity (not that you can't use a g17 mag in a g19). the widths are identical as is front to back grip size. grip on 17 is a little longer but i (large glove size) can get a full hand on the 19 size.

i really like fiber optic sights and have replaced the stock sights with fiber optics on all my glocks.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    We have a boatload of both of these at work. They're meh in my opinion. Certainly better than the ghetto sights Glocks come with but I'd rather get a used Sig than a new Vicker's Glock. The upgrades aren't anything to be rushing out about.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The 19 is a bit more snug in the hand, it's quick to point, carries and draws well, unless your hands are large and don't fit the grooves. First thing you notice on the 17 Is the extra room on the grip, your fingers have a little more room, the longer grip has a bit more hump near the bottom, so seems to point a little different. I like the Gen 4s, the grip is slightly smaller, and the hump at the bottom is less pronounced, points less "glocky", and more like most every other pistol on the planet. Ultimately hold them, and shoot a couple models if you can, to me the gen 4 G19 points naturally level and feels just about perfect, the 17 grip feels a hair too large, and the 3G especially feels too steep of an angle and points too high. The larger and more rearward mag release of the 4G is nice, and the texture is grippy without being painful, recoil does feel smoother than gen 3s to me. The Vickers sights are good, but really tall, recently put a set of his night sights on my 19, the dots are subdued, but Fiber optic or Ameriglo pro-glo front sights can brighten it up. The other Vickers parts, slide and mag release are easier to reach without getting in the way, I have put them on all my GLOCKs.

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm thinking 17 over 19, but now Fidelity has me thinking gen4 and just replace the sights rather than buying the Vickers package. Hmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After I figure out what sights I want, I'm likely going to do the various upgrades to this grey Glock 23 (gen 4). :thumbsup:

uploadfromtaptalk1454472829218.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom