• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    Looking at a 90 year old pistol on gunbroker but the seller is a non-ffl holder and he might not be a C&R either (I just emailed him to ask). Can I still acquire the pistol even if he is not a C&R? Any caveats that I need to know about? So far I have only used my C&R to purchase from 01FFLs, never a private person so I am unsure. Thanks.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I've purchased/received C&R rifles from out-of-state non-FFLs before without any issues. Haven't done it with C&R handguns, however, but I can't see how that would make a difference.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Looking at a 90 year old pistol on gunbroker but the seller is a non-ffl holder and he might not be a C&R either (I just emailed him to ask). Can I still acquire the pistol even if he is not a C&R? Any caveats that I need to know about? So far I have only used my C&R to purchase from 01FFLs, never a private person so I am unsure. Thanks.

We just did a pretty long thread on this.

If you have a C&R, send him two copies of it (you can send it with the payment). He can pack one with the gun. He then can take the package to either a FedEx or UPS customer service center (not a UPS or FedEx "store"), tell them that it contains a handgun that's being sent to a person with a Federal license (show them the license), and give them a crap-ton of money because it will have to be shipped overnight.

There are slight variations on this theme, but that's basically how it works. I just got one today that cost me $78 in shipping from SC. The people at the counter (at a UPS shipping terminals customer service desk) originally told the shipper it couldn't go to a residence. After about 2 hours on the phone we got that part straightened out.

I don't think it makes any difference if he has a C&R, so long as you do, but I'm sure that someone will let you know if I'm wrong.

I've purchased/received C&R rifles from out-of-state non-FFLs before without any issues. Haven't done it with C&R handguns, however, but I can't see how that would make a difference.

Trust me ... there's a HUGE difference! C&R rifles can just go to you via USPS.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Trust me ... there's a HUGE difference! C&R rifles can just go to you via USPS.

Well, yes, the carriers one can use are slightly different, but the process is pretty much the same, as you describe.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    Thanks all, sending the 2 copies of the FFL is good advice... Except seller said he would refuse to send me his name and address and that the "gunbroker winning auction page" was proof enough of sale for my bound book.

I'll pass.

Last edited:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Thanks all, sending the 2 copies of the FFL is good advice... Except seller said he would refuse to send me his name and address and that the "gunbroker winning auction page" was proof enough of sale for my bound book.

I'll pass.

DANGER, Will Robinson. Without the required info, you can not make a legal entry into your Bound Book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom