• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Probably because it would be even harder read impossible for a non resident to prove a G&S reason. They never planned on that part being struck down.

And it eliminates a possible 14A challenge.
    It is appearing that way. As of late almost daily I get a request for more information from Sgt. Hall. He is a nice guy and I think he is trying to make it work but he is being told to push for more info. It is getting to be a little ridiculous. If I get approved and renewal is like this I would probably opt not to renew.

I gave less info to the IRS when I was audited.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Occasionally there have been amicus briefs filed by Governors in addition to ones filed by the AGs. I doubt he'd do it, but wouldn't it be funny if Hogan signed on to a Governors brief on the pro-2A side with Frosh on the anti-2A side?

Probably wouldn't happen, but if it did it would send a clear message that it's not the 'Official' position of the state. Frosh supposedly is offering legal opinion, but it is also a political statement. If the AG is subject to the Governor's wishes (as Doogie Gansler was to O'Malley), it may be an opportunity to knock Frosh down a peg or two.

At a minimum, Frosh should be summoned to a 'come to Jesus' meeting with the Governor.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The briefs by Gura note that in Heller 3 the limiting of the number of guns registered was struck down, and this law's intent is identical-less "guns on the street".

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    If the Lanier's appeal fails, DC is kind of like shall issue? That would be funny as hell, with Maryland still hanging on to the same scheme.. What is interesting, I've read many states do not issue non resident permits. Why did DC opt to issue non-resident permits?

In Palmer, the District Court judge said in his opinion that the district could not discriminate between US citizens (essentially).

Since DC dropped their appeal of Palmer, they kinda lost their chance to argue the non-resident issue.

Probably because it would be even harder read impossible for a non resident to prove a G&S reason. They never planned on that part being struck down.

And it eliminates a possible 14A challenge.

True, but see above.

Probably wouldn't happen, but if it did it would send a clear message that it's not the 'Official' position of the state. Frosh supposedly is offering legal opinion, but it is also a political statement. If the AG is subject to the Governor's wishes (as Doogie Gansler was to O'Malley), it may be an opportunity to knock Frosh down a peg or two.

At a minimum, Frosh should be summoned to a 'come to Jesus' meeting with the Governor.

Two entirely different offices and elections. Unfortunately, the AG is independent of the Gov.

I'm not sure how that can be, since they truly are executive branch, but that's how the state (and most states) select an AG.

The briefs by Gura note that in Heller 3 the limiting of the number of guns registered was struck down, and this law's intent is identical-less "guns on the street".

Awesome! I've not yet had time to read it.

DC is boxing themselves into a corner.

1) Need an intellectually honest ruling from the DCA
    2) Need DC to have enough stones to appeal (and arrogance).
    3) SCOTUS needs to have enough balls to say what it means and stop dicking around with the language of the BOR!
    3a) I also want to see SCOTUS and the non-compliant states squirm when Same Sex Marriage is used against them.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Also, as a secondary thought, it should be noted that this Amicus is being brought forward in a SAF supported case. Kudos. I really hope that SAF and the NRA can continue to work together with each other...

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Also, as a secondary thought, it should be noted that this Amicus is being brought forward in a SAF supported case. Kudos. I really hope that SAF and the NRA can continue to work together with each other...

The brief does a great job at exposing the other side's brief as a collection of half truths, omissions, and outright lies. Unfortunately most of the federal judiciary will simply look past the fact that one side is trying to trick them. Let's hope for a good panel draw.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Nice brief.

Asking permission to exercise a right is a denial of that right.

The brief notes that the Dred Scott decision not to recognise African Americans as "people" under the Constitution was rooted in the desire to keep them from bearing arms.

Examining the 14th century Statute of Northampton, upon which the Bloomberg contingent hangs its hat, and demonstrating its narrowing over the centuries, effectively guts that argument.

To bear arms exhaustively shown to be applicable outside one's home.

The court would be hard pressed to fail to affirm the original decision, if it has any intellectual honesty.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Nice brief.

Asking permission to exercise a right is a denial of that right.

The brief notes that the Dred Scott decision not to recognise African Americans as "people" under the Constitution was rooted in the desire to keep them from bearing arms.

Examining the 14th century Statute of Northampton, upon which the Bloomberg contingent hangs its hat, and demonstrating its narrowing over the centuries, effectively guts that argument.

To bear arms exhaustively shown to be applicable outside one's home.

The court would be hard pressed to fail to affirm the original decision, if it has any intellectual honesty.

Key words.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    That was a great read!! Someone really did their homework citing English law from the 1300"s showing the peaceful carrying of weapons was not against the law all the way up to the towns banning guns in the late 1800"s were mainly on the old cattle drive routes
    Carrying weapons was only disallowed if you were doing so to terrorize or make people afraid.

I really liked the statement in the end of page 23 (and I'm paraphrasing here)
    Our 1st 4 presidents openly carried firearms on them and did not share the Districts theory that a 1328 English statute made it illegal to do so in America. :party29:

Thanks for posting that.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    In 1623, Virginia forbade its colonists to travel unless they were “well
    armed”; in 1631 it required colonists to engage in target practice on
    Sunday and to “bring their peeces to church.” In 1658 it required
    every householder to have a functioning firearm within his house and
    in 1673 its laws provided that a citizen who claimed he was too poor to
    purchase a firearm would have one purchased for him by the
    government
    , which would then require him to pay a reasonable price
    when able to do so.

This is my kind of entitlement program and government mandate!

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    This is my kind of entitlement program and government mandate!

You do know what took place in 1622 don't you? All we need is a few hundred killed (25% of Jamestown) by Indians and we are all set again.. :D

The other problem is when people start equating weapons laws of the 1600's, 1700's as if they should be analogous today. Firearms back then had nowhere near the multiple victim potential of today's firearms. When people try those arguments, they just fail in the face of intellectual honesty. If you want to tout those laws, then be quite, quite happy they give you ten rounds at your disposal in a few seconds. How many did the traveler have ready in 1623, he could fire off in a minute?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom