• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ^^^ I heard years ago that in order to build there they would have to dig up the top 3-4 feet of dirt first since it was so contaminated.Which is why it was for sale so long,Wilbur might have dropped the price just to unload it though.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    LOL! Obviously a sporting goods nut would only remember Dicks!

But seriously, almost everything is there except actual Mall type stores. It's also jst up the road from crofton and Bowie which also have a ton of shopping. Frankly, I more often head toward Glen Burnie for most of my shopping (and to make my gun store rounds, :D) . But right next to Waugh Chapel is a Wegman's I like to visit occasionally (also a Safeway in Waugh Chapel itself).

Ya there's plenty of shopping, I just thought he meant gun related shops.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Don't forget Scott's Gunsmithing in Glen Burnie...they're an IP here and Sharkey's a really good guy who not only smiths, but usually has some inventory as well. In addition to modern firearms, Scotts pretty often has some consignment guns that are often pretty nice. Chad who posts here a lot has been a 'smith at Scotts. Also my favorite pawn shop is A&D guns and pawn. Bought stuff from both sides of their business. Larry (owner) and his employee, Jimmy (primarily firearms sales) are really great guys too. You're also not far at all from Severna Park (maybe 10+ miles....it would be much closer if they had a bridge over the Severn river! - you have to basically drive around the river)

A&D lost all my business when they refused to release on time last summer and raised their prices at the same time. Their ignorance of the law and SB281 at the time was appalling.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I can actually drive to Stoney Creek through East West blvd and it's only about 16 or 17 miles. I just use the 'all highway' to avoid lights and slow speed limits in order to get there faster...even though it's almost 4 miles further. AACFG&G is about 20 miles....but I do live on the Millersville side of Crownsville near the OP

As an aside, I grew up in one of the neighborhoods that east-west blvd runs through.....if anyone told be when I was a kid that some day such a road would be running thorugh my neighborhood I would have laughed in their faces.... :sad20:

jbollman

MDCreeper
    Jul 9, 2009
    Thank everyone.
    Sounds like a great place and lots on like minded people in the area.

Looking forward to finding a nice place in the area.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    As an aside, I grew up in one of the neighborhoods that east-west blvd runs through.....if anyone told be when I was a kid that some day such a road would be running thorugh my neighborhood I would have laughed in their faces.... :sad20:

I grew up just about 3 miles or so from there. My bus to Severna Park Jr High used to run right down Pasadena Rd and cross onto West Pasadena for 2yrs. FYI, I used to work at Listman's Store back in the about 77 - 78 while attending AA Communty College and when I first started going to Univ of MD

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    ^^^ I heard years ago that in order to build there they would have to dig up the top 3-4 feet of dirt first since it was so contaminated.Which is why it was for sale so long,Wilbur might have dropped the price just to unload it though.

I basically grew up in Rudy's junkyard. The developers actually did perc tests again before buying. It looks like every hole they dug is on a hill nowhere near the old junkyard. They are about 30 yards from our property line in Rolling Hills. The soil would obviously be clean there. I really hope they are not going to rely on wells for water there!

I'm very good friends with Wilbur and his family. He's not doing real well now which may be the reason for the recent sale.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    FYI, I used to work at Listman's Store back in the about 77 - 78 while attending AA Communty College and when I first started going to Univ of MD

Hummmm...Sounds familiar....sxs..

Earleigh Heights VFD - 1974 - 1986 - along with several of the Listman kids
    AACO - 1977-1978 Law Enforcement & Criminal Justice
    UMCP - 1979 Criminal Justice

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I grew up just about 3 miles or so from there. My bus to Severna Park Jr High used to run right down Pasadena Rd and cross onto West Pasadena for 2yrs. FYI, I used to work at Listman's Store back in the about 77 - 78 while attending AA Communty College and when I first started going to Univ of MD

My brother's first wife was one of the Listmans.....

chslax10

Feb 27, 2013
    You'll like the area. I live just down the road in Severna Park. You are close to everything. We normally head up to White Marsh to shoot at free state since you can shoot pretty much anything there.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A&D lost all my business when they refused to release on time last summer and raised their prices at the same time. Their ignorance of the law and SB281 at the time was appalling.

You say this like there were no other shops doing the same thing. :rolleyes:

In the same breath, they will usually let you pay on a firearm for damn near any amount for as long as it takes for you to pay it off. Jimmy will probably say " Sure. Whatever you want to do". Go to a wholly dedicated gun shop and see if they will let you do the same thing.

I have bought maybe 10 pistols from them over the years and enjoy it there. Jimmy is quirky and pretty knowledgable guy. A&D is another place I do go and just hang out sometimes.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I enjoy going to A&D as well. Bought a couple things from them, and they're always pleasant.

Best part is, they'll let you look as long as you like, and let you handle whatever piece of hardware you're interested in.

Never have they "shwewed" under their breath in disgust when you want to look at anything. And they do surprise you with inventory that is tough elsewhere. They had a couple Springfield Socoms when nobody around had them, I think there's a KSG there right now (or was). Just get a little surprise of something every time you go in.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

In the same breath, they will usually let you pay on a firearm for damn near any amount for as long as it takes for you to pay it off. Jimmy will probably say " Sure. Whatever you want to do". Go to a wholly dedicated gun shop and see if they will let you do the same thing.

I have bought maybe 10 pistols from them over the years and enjoy it there. Jimmy is quirky and pretty knowledgable guy. A&D is another place I do go and just hang out sometimes.

I'm saying they did this when nearly everyone started releasing. Trust me I enjoyed hanging out there as well and spent tons of money there. I learned there were other places with better customer service.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Hummmm...Sounds familiar....sxs..

Earleigh Heights VFD - 1974 - 1986 - along with several of the Listman kids
    AACO - 1977-1978 Law Enforcement & Criminal Justice
    UMCP - 1979 Criminal Justice

My brother's first wife was one of the Listmans.....

Haven't seen good ol'e Conrad since he processed a deer for me year before last. He told me he was going to re-open the store...don't know what happened. I was pretty friendly with the older boys for many years after I stopped working there. Heard the old man (John Sr) passed a while back (heard from Conrad)

I knew a bunch of the Listmans....not just the John Listman family, but extended family as well. Graduated with 2 Listman cousins (twins) and knew a lot of the other cousins.

PM me off line...there's a chance I know a couple of you guys!

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

I enjoy going to A&D as well. Bought a couple things from them, and they're always pleasant.

Best part is, they'll let you look as long as you like, and let you handle whatever piece of hardware you're interested in.

Fair chance I may have seen you guys there. Like Blaster said, it doesn't take much of a down payment. Hell $100 held 2 pistols while I waited for my HQL to clear back in December 2013. Jimmy's a super nice guy. Gary (mostly works the Jewelry side is decent enough) and Larry (owner) can be quite a hoot. Likes to jerk my chain when I come in these days.

^^^ I heard years ago that in order to build there they would have to dig up the top 3-4 feet of dirt first since it was so contaminated.Which is why it was for sale so long,Wilbur might have dropped the price just to unload it though.

I need to stop in and meet you,we might know each other. Rudys was a public landfill before it was a junkyard. Because of that it could only be used as a golf course or a private sanctuary. The 200 plus acres (IIRC) behind the tavern was most of the landfill. There were cars almost all the way back to Rolling hills. I saw a few model t's and A's when I worked there.I agree that should be the cleanest fill. Im still in contact with many of the people who worked there.
    It is good seeing someone building where mrs Johnson's place was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom