Regulated Assault Weapons - This could change EVERYTHING!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I have a document in my hot little hands, Firearms bulletin 96-1 from the MDSP which states

"An applicant who desires to purchase any of the above listed firearms or their copies must complete a form 77R and go through the background investigation. A "sporter" version of these firearms in which the firearm does not meet the definition of an "assault weapon" as defined in Title 18 section 921 (a) (30) of the United States Code, and may be imported into the United States, may be sold without a background investigation. An example of this is the ARSENAL SA 93, "sporter" version of the AK-47 without the bayonet lug or a flash suppressor."

Now I don't know about you, but that CHANGES EVERYTHING we thought about regulated rifles. Mods, I am going to cross post this in rifles (please don't hit me with the ban stick, I think it's important.)

Mark

PS - And no, this is not an April fools joke!

Attachments

• MDSP.pdf
      302.8 KB · Views: 244

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Hmm... November of 1996? There hasn't been anything issued since then which renders this obsolete?

I'd like to believe there is a legal loophole, but 14 years is a long time... this sounds more like an early attempt to clarify what is and isn't an "assault weapon" after the Federal ban went into effect. MD's own state policy came into effect more recently, I believe?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hmm... November of 1996? There hasn't been anything issued since then which renders this obsolete?

I'd like to believe there is a legal loophole, but 14 years is a long time... this sounds more like an early attempt to clarify what is and isn't an "assault weapon" after the Federal ban went into effect. MD's own state policy came into effect more recently, I believe?

I got this from the regulated FFL I use, who has gotten all of these over the years. He was the one who pointed it out. I trust the FFL I use, he is fastidious when it comes to paperwork. Which explains why he still has this! The policies that we deal with are often old and even more often not revised. How many laws are still on the books that make no sense. The fact that the EVER said this is amazing.

Mark

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    I will say when I bought my Arsenal SA-93 back around 95-96. It was sold to me cash and carry. My local FFL at the time assured me it was legal but that he thought the "loophole" as he called it would be closed soon and encouraged me to buy before the law was changed.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Well the law has not changed, so the question is, do any of the Industry Partners on this site have anything more recent. I think this is the rule unless someone shows up with something that supersedes it. I was really surprised when he handed me a copy of that... obviously he has been in business for quite some time.

Mark

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    That's a pretty old bulletin, I think the regulated firearms list has been updated a few times.

Not the law to my knowledge. I'm sure the list of manufacturers who are making copies has increased but not the list of specific firearms since it's original enactment.

I think the anti-gun legislators don't really want to mess with that law because it could come back to bite them if the truth ever got out.

evilf150

Aug 28, 2009
    essex
    Regulated Assault Weapons list was updated in 2005

Maryland State Police
    Assault Weapons
    Maryland Public Safety Article
    § 5-101(p) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific
    firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that
    firearm:
    ( 1 ) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine
    ( 2 ) AK-47 in all forms
    ( 3 ) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto
    ( 4 ) AR 100 type semi-auto
    ( 5 ) AR 180 type semi-auto
    ( 6 ) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto
    ( 7 ) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto
    ( 8 ) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics
    ( 9 ) Barrett light .50 cal. semi-auto
    (10) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto
    (11) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle
    (12) Calico models M-100 and M-900
    (13) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto
    (14) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines
    (15) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations Except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle
    (16) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2
    (17) Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto
    (18) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber)
    (19) Feather AT-9 semi-auto
    (20) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle
    (21) FNC semi-auto type carbine
    (22) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun
    (23) Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto
    (24) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto
    (25) Heckler and KOCH HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3
    (26) Holmes model 88 shotgun
    (27) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format
    (28) Manchester Arms "Commando" MK-45, MK-9
    (29) Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine
    (30) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun
    (31) Sterling Mark 6 (32) P.A.W.S. carbine
    (33) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber)
    (34) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber)
    (35) SKS with detachable magazine
    (36) AP-74 Commando type semi-auto
    (37) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, Excluding the M1 Garand
    (38) Street sweeper assault type shotgun
    (39) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats
    (40) Unique F11 semi-auto type
    (41) Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun
    (42) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle
    (43) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto
    (44) Weaver Arms "Nighthawk" semi-auto carbine or
    (45) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto "Terry".
    Direct questions to:
    Maryland State Police
    Firearms Registration Section
    7751 Washington Boulevard
    Jessup, Maryland 20794
    (410) 799-0191
    Updated 6/6/2005

Title 18 section 921 (a) (30) of the United States Code
    (30) The term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means - (A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as - (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr AUG; (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; (B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of - (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and (v) a grenade launcher; (C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of - (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned; (iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and (v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and (D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of - (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.​

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    thx.

I've never before tried to read that legal, mumbo- jumbo- that essentially in my heart says that the purpose of this law is to so totally confuse a citizen into not owning a firearm.

Which leads me back to where the founders of our Constitution stated in plain language... "the right of the people shall not be infringed." <--- That's a Giant Period. The part after "Shall not be infringed."

Sorry if I sound a tad bit alarmist, I don't intend to be. I'm simply READING the Constitution of the UNITED STATES and the BILL OF RIGHTS.

Md. recognizes the US Constitution as the law of the land.;)

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Maryland State Police
    Assault Weapons
    § 5-101(p) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific
    firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that
    firearm:
    ( 2 ) AK-47 in all forms
    (15) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations Except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle
    (37) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, Excluding the M1 Garand
    Direct questions to:
    Maryland State Police
    Jessup, Maryland 20794
    (410) 799-0191
    Updated 6/6/2005

Title 18 section 921 (a) (30) of the United States Code
    (30) The term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means - (A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as - (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr AUG; (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; (B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of - (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and (v) a grenade launcher; (C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of - (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned; (iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and (v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and (D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of - (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.​

Near as I can tell, 5-101(p) is largely unchanged without substantive change from former Art. 27, § 441(n) which was enacted in 1996, the title 5-101(p) was enacted in 2003 because they changed the whole state code, but it is substantially the same. The question remains, does anything newer exist?

Just because the website was updated in 2005 doesn't mean the law was changed, does anyone have anything else?

Mark

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    No the list has never been updated. The entire Article 27 has been recodified into named statutes. The new law even says this under the list of assault weapons:

Revisor's Note.

This subsection is new language derived without substantive change from former Art. 27, § 441(d) and (r).

It won't matter though. I'm sure there will be plenty of dealers who will continue to insist on doing 77R's on everything from Saiga rifles to VZ58's for the simple reasons that they're scared of MSP not "liking" them, its easier for them, and some people will put up with it.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

Maryland State Police
    Assault Weapons
    firearm:
    ( 2 ) AK-47 in all forms
    Direct questions to:
    Maryland State Police
    Jessup, Maryland 20794
    (410) 799-0191
    Updated 6/6/2005

[/LEFT]

That's the exact same list as the original one, its even the same as the one in the 1996 document the OP posted, including the exceptions for the HBAR and Garand. The only update was to the section number when it was changed over to the new code along with most of Article 27.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    This needs to stop. Too many dealers fear the MSP might put them out of business. The reality is that we could do the same, only faster. Unfortunately apathy rules in MD so I don't expect to see change any time soon. :sad20:

Thank you. I'm in a bad mood so I'll bite my tongue now. ..........:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom