• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Want to start researching a silencer but want to make the most of it. Awhile ago I mulled over a thread where Clandestine was talking about silencers and I asked him some questions through pm's. I kinda know nothing about them other than the newly discovered fact that a can made for a larger caliber can be used on a lower caliber.

I currently have a few glocks,an AR pistol and a 22/45 lite.

My calibe usage remains at .22lr .22wmr 9mm .40s&w and 5.56. I intend to get a few more pistols and possibly a couple pistol caliber carbines. However I would suspect more than likely it would be more handguns, different models for the most part.

Wanting to try to cover the largest majority of firearms with the biggest single suppressor would i be doing myself a great disservice by buying something such as a .45 can suppressor and adapting it to each of my firearms or should I narrow the range to incorporate fewer firearms for better performance? Is there a suppressor that would tolerate my AR pistol as well as the majority of my other firearms or should I somehow better arrange this ?

I am rather ignorant so please feel feel to chime in or explain in detail because I really don't know. I also know it will be a bit vefore I am ready to buy so I have time to get opinions. Please don't hold back on preference or subjective opinions either. I will take what i can get for input.

Please and thank you in advance.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You really need a specific .22LR/WMR can as they get SO caked up w/ lead. The silencerco sparrow is prob easiest to clean and one of the better ones.

Centerfire pistols: A 45 will do 40 and 9mm. (and a 40 will also do 9.) Again, a disassemblable unit is nice as they still get carbon fouling that needs to be scrubbed out once in a while. Most of them will work a/ SUBSONIC 300BLK (7.62mm). Can't fire supersonic rifle rounds through them as they can't handle the pressure.

Centerfire rifle. Can shoot 5.56 though a 7.62 can. Almost all of these are welded shut due to the MUCH higher pressures they have to survive. The blast means they are somewhat self cleaning.

Unfortunately there really isn't a one size fits all. The requirements are just too different at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

22 cans are some of the neatest as they are one of the quietest. Subsonic 22 makes everyone grin;) They are also cheapest to start w/.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    22 Silencerco Sparrow
    45 Silencerco Osprey45 or AAC Tirant 45 (fits smaller calibers too)
    7.62 (fits everything smaller) AAC SDN6 or Silencerco Saker 7.62

these are but a couple of the more popular ones. They have multiple mounts available as well.

Kevin

Manager at Duffy's
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2013
    Sparks, MD
    22 Silencerco Sparrow
    45 Silencerco Osprey45 or AAC Tirant 45 (fits smaller calibers too)
    7.62 (fits everything smaller) AAC SDN6 or Silencerco Saker 7.62

these are but a couple of the more popular ones. They have multiple mounts available as well.

If you can afford one and aren't looking for something task-specific (hunting with a specific caliber, for example) I'd recommend a 22 as a first can. Everyone will enjoy shooting it.

If you want the most versatility, a set of 22, 45 and .30 is what I recommend as well.

I sell silencers, so in that light I understand my next statement will be seen as a salesman's shtick, but it's not: Buy the best can you can afford. There's not much of an aftermarket, and it's essentially a lifetime purchase. I've "bought cheap" and by the time the tax stamp came back a year later (at that point) I would have loved to have thrown another couple hundred bucks to upgrade. Too late by then. Cheap rifles can be fun, but it's easy to get rid of 'em if they end up being crappy.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    Good news: You're starting at a great place with Duffy's.
    Bad news: Once you buy one it WILL lead to more.

The guys above have already covered the good stuff. I ended up getting a Surefire Socom 5.56 because I don't plan to shoot anything larger except 300BLK which an Octane 45 covers. I purchased the Socom and a dedicated 22 can (Sparrow) from Duffy's and couldn't be happier.

Next on the list is an Octane 45 with a few adapters and I'll have pretty much everything in the safe covered.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Good advice here. You do NOT want to shoot 22 out of centerfire cans. Start with a dedicated 22 can. Good ones are stupid quiet. Also you want stainless steel baffles. Aluminum, although cheaper, can be a beotch to clean.
    Spend some time dancing with the devil, he will take care of you.
    Then there is the whole trust vs. individual argument.

WARNING Suppressors are addictive. You just need patience.

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    With my gravitation toward pistol .22 is a great round to go after. Your right it will be fun and it will be used more than the rest I am sure.

So lets say I we start with the 22/45 and the PM30. I would love to get one that can be used for both but I am finding PMR30 threaded barrels to be a bit difficult to find but would like to keep my options open.

What should I look to spend to get a Good serviceable can that won't leave me disappointed later Kevin?

I trust you guys and its why its posted here not in the rest of MDS because when ready I will be buying from you guys.

I know I need 200 for the tax stamp and some other things along the way such as photos etc. Whole Nut what are we talking and what model specifically should I look for? I here that used suppressors are almost non existent because the resale is crap so it is better to just assume new.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    With my gravitation toward pistol .22 is a great round to go after. Your right it will be fun and it will be used more than the rest I am sure.

So lets say I we start with the 22/45 and the PM30. I would love to get one that can be used for both but I am finding PMR30 threaded barrels to be a bit difficult to find but would like to keep my options open.

What should I look to spend to get a Good serviceable can that won't leave me disappointed later Kevin?

I trust you guys and its why its posted here not in the rest of MDS because when ready I will be buying from you guys.

I know I need 200 for the tax stamp and some other things along the way such as photos etc. Whole Nut what are we talking and what model specifically should I look for? I here that used suppressors are almost non existent because the resale is crap so it is better to just assume new.

SilencerCo Sparrow and Spectre 22 are both fully user-serviceable and multi-cal rated (5.7x28, 22WMR, 22LR, etc.). Can't go wrong with either of those, Duffy's sell's both.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD

Your PMR 30 arrived. I'll show you some cans and go over the process with you when you come in next.

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    HAHA nah no can. Just did the paperwork on a PMR30 but, After talking to Vince I am probably looking at one of their new Freedom Armory cans. I have not decided wether to go stainless or go with titanium. The whole of me wants the titanium and its only 100 bucks more. It will probably be a month or two before I am ready with funding. I will do it though.

If you have facebook they did some shoots:

https://www.facebook.com/Duffysguns?hc_location=timeline

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom