• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    If our opposition (as "dumb" as they are) can make and use a mail merge list, then we should be able to at least beat them at the game!

More helpfulness...

"Mail Merge, Printing Labels using Mail Merge with data from Excel"
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm

"Mail Merge Using A Spreadsheet"
    http://www.functionx.com/mailmerge/excel.htm

"Mail Merge - Without Word"
    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip92.htm

How to Do a Mail Merge in Microsoft Word & Open Office
    http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/2083_mail-merge.htm

30 Seconds with Google will answer alot of questions. I have done the hard work by compiling the addresses. Set up your printer, push a few buttons and print out 47 letters. Push another few buttons and print out 47 envelopes or lables! The stamps are the hardest part. Now hit every Senator in the state of Maryland with your opinion!

-Boxcab

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Anyone else who uses this tool, please chime in and let us know how well it worked. There are a lot of folks on the fence, afraid to learn the tool.

Help me get the fence sitters going!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Boxcab, to the best of your knowledge, are the address files you provided last year still accurate? I've never tried mail merge, but I'm getting a new printer this weekend so it's time to warm that critter up.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    joppaj,

There were no new elections but still some minor changes. In fact I would love if someone would proof read through the new lists. The 2008 list is 98% the same to answer your question.

-Boxcab

Peddler

Nov 10, 2008
    Fayetteville, PA
    I posted this in a different thread and wanted to post it here also. It's not a complaint but a suggestion. :)

I know how to do the multiple labels and letters with my current set up. I just can't open the .xls files. I was hoping someone would put the addresses into a format that would make them available for folks with older computers.

I'm sure some of us would like to do a similar mail out but either don’t have the time studying into the .xls thing, or we'd prefer not to have to download and familiarize ourselves with new programs when our current programs work just fine.

To be honest, the .xls thing is halting me and I was hoping someone with the time could offer the mailing addresses in a simpler format, compatible with older computers and word programs.

edit: I know it may appear that I'm being fussy but after tomorrow I'm back to being extremely busy with work. Not to mention all of the things I need to get done around the house. Then it's time to get my taxes together and I might be moving in a few months, so I'll have a dandy of a time packing.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Peddler, it sounds like you use MS Works rather then MS Office. If that is the case you can open the .XLS files. I just did, yes it gives you a silly error but it looks like everything was there. The .WPS file is a Works word processing file extension. If you open the spreadsheet part of Works, you should be able to open these files. You then copy from the spreadsheet to the word processor.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Just remember folks... The mail merge does alot of things. You write the letter once and the program creates a customized letter (Heading and salutation), prints the envelope or label for each recipient on your mail merge. No cut and pasting. My one letter went out to 188 representitives, each tailored to the recipient. The .xls is read directly by MSWord and it will handle everything.

For those with other Operating Systems, or older software, I will try to accomodate, but my skills are limited. I tried a simple .txt conversion, but it lost all formating.

Keep up the efforts, it will pay off for you in a better future.

-Boxcab

Peddler

Nov 10, 2008
    Fayetteville, PA
    Peddler, it sounds like you use MS Works rather then MS Office. If that is the case you can open the .XLS files. I just did, yes it gives you a silly error but it looks like everything was there. The .WPS file is a Works word processing file extension. If you open the spreadsheet part of Works, you should be able to open these files. You then copy from the spreadsheet to the word processor.
    I'll give it another try. I think I've come up with a solution. If I figure it out, I'll upload them again with a different file extension.

Peddler

Nov 10, 2008
    Fayetteville, PA

Hay that worked. "Thank You Very Much."

Everything else I tried failed but some days I'm just a lil stupid. I have to try it my way first. :rolleyes::lol2:

"Thanks for compiling this Boxcab." I started working on my letter and I'll get them sent off very soon.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Peddler,

Thank you for taking the time to figure it out. That was the hard part, now your set to become an ACTIVIST with the rest of us!

-Boxcab

Peddler

Nov 10, 2008
    Fayetteville, PA
    Is there a reason that there are two separate address lists? It appears that the Judiciary addresses are already in the Senate address list. In other words, all the addresses you'll need may already be in the Senate address attachments.

Someone might end up printing 7 extra letters?

Perhaps there are two separate address downloads for a reason I'm not understanding?

I know, I know. I'm making this difficult. :lol2:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I made separate listing for the Judicial committees as they tend to hear the gun related laws. So, yes, the Judicial lists are also contained in the "Entire" lists.

Someone is paying attention! Who else is trying to use these tools??

Terpfan

Aug 24, 2008
    Howard County
    And visit Annapolis to testify on bills or say hi to your legislators and give them a laundry list of where they stand. Seeing their constituents in person live will make them think twice if they're opposed to our 2a stances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom