• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 11, 2012
    Freeland,MD
    Has anyone had any hands on experience with Springfield's XDs, I'm reaIly interested in this handgun...I'm partial to 45's ...1911's (have Colts). I'd like any comments!
    Thanks!!

southern71

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 23, 2012
    I own the 45 Springfield XD. I posted a review on Buds and here is a copy of it. Needless to say I really love mine. It is a great option for the price and would be hard ot beat in this price range.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/31144/Springfield+45ACP+4"+Black+Package
    Reviewed By: James B on 02/15/2012 Rating: [5 of 5 Stars!]
    This is my latest purchase from Buds (Several more are inbound though). Let me start by saying Buds service is second to none. Best prices, fastest shipping and items arrive exactly as advertised.
    For the gun, I took it to the range and fired several hundred rounds through it earlier today. I own several similar style handguns and I must say this is by far the best of the bunch. The weight is what you would expect, the feel and balance are awesome. It fits jsut right in my hands. The ambi mag release is nice. The trigger is probably the best I have felt in years. It has about 5 lbs (my guestimate not measured as of yet) but it is so smooth you won't even notice it. The break is crisp and it is hard to jump on the trigger as it is so smooth in the pull. I did notice that unlike other brands I own, this trigger doesn't have to travel very far to re engage allowing for very quick second shots. The recoil is lighter than expected and it falls back on target easily. Matched with the trigger and short reset, it is one evil lead slinging machine. I really did fall in love with this XD 45 and I can't imagine a better feeling weapon at this point. I have yet to try the SIG 250F but that is next on my list. I think I am going to have to get this in 40 and 9mm as well since it is such a sweet everyday shooter.
    I don't carry concealed as the oppressive laws in MD make it impossible, but I do think it would be fairly decent in cold weather. Summer months might prove a bit tricky as it is a full sized handgun.
    The accessories are decent. I am not fond of the style and like a traditional full holster but if you like the style it fits well.
    If you are debating on getting one, go for it. They are priced to sell and it will most certainly become your everyday shooter.You won't be let down with this handgun. It is about as close to perfect as you can find in this class of firearms.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    The XDs is a newer model and not too many have them yet, but i have owned a XD9 and have shot a xd40 and a xdm 45 .Springfield Makes a dam find pistol.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    They're good enough guns, the XD and XDm - haven't shot a XDs yet though.

Ultimately, I wound up going a diff't route, but by all means, if it feels good for you, go for it. :thumbsup:

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Wait...are you asking about Springfield XD's...like the plural of Springfield XD...
    or the XDs model specifically? the subcompact 45?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    What's the difference between XD, XDS, XDM, and whatever other letter combo they do?

lots, they're mostly completely different designs

springfield xd
    ....or "X-treme duty". They started as a croatian design called the HS2000 that caught the eye of springfield people. They decided to import them and sex-up the name by calling them the "XD". Essentially, they were a bastard-lovechild that happened when a 1911, a glock, and a sig all got drunk at a swingers party. They're 1911'ish in that they have a grip-safety. They're sig-like in their big chunky slide rails, big external rails on the outside of the slide, and uncaptured guide-rod spring, metal trigger, sig sight dovetails in the slide, high capacity, and grip feel. They're glock-like in their trigger safety, internal striker blocks, being a striker fired pistol, and being polymer. Some unique things about the XD's are that they have a striker indicator that sticks out the back, have a loaded chamber indicator up top, have ambidextrous magazine releases, and slides as tall as rosie-O is fat.

1287746485.jpg

The XD(m) line...again springfield sexing up the name with the generic term "match", or "x-treme duty (match)"...took the XD line of pistols and attempted to improve it. They gave it traction with mud-tire stipling so they didn't have that "bar of soap" feel the old xd's have. They gave them interchangeable backstraps to make them more adaptable to the shooter(although the backstraps can't cover the grip-safety so they don't really work as well at extending length of pull like the m&p's, or p99's do). They're claiming they now have a "match" barrel(whatever that means), and that they're more accurate. The old xd's were pretty accurate and this claim seems to hold some water, as every xd(m) i've shot has been extremely accurate. They put a different rear sight on that pushes the dots all the way to the rear of the slide and added some length to the barrel and slide...essentially giving the xd(m) almost an inch more sight radius, although only about half inch more up front length. They increased capacity in the 9 and 40...although left it the same in the 45(thankfully). They also now tinkered with the FCG so that the sear drops out of the way of the striker when you flip the take-down lever...meaning you don't have to pull the trigger to take the xd(s) apart. Speaking of the trigger, it's supposed to be better...but still has that "lightswitch" feel with plenty of overtravel and reset. PRP kits are a must for the xd(m) gun to make the trigger feel nice if you're picky about that stuff. They also recontoured the slide to get rid of the sig'ish rails along the side of it.

SpringFieldXDM9MM1.jpg

Although they had compact models of the xd and xd(m), they didn't really have a single-stack to compete with the glock 36. This is where the xd(s) comes in....or "x-treme duty (slim)". It's essentially the same as an xd(m) that's been cut in half.
    0009321_springfield_armory_xd_s_45ap_stainless_sub_compact.jpeg

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    You are welcome to come to our club pistol shoot at the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore on October 14th from 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. and try my XD9 and XDM 5.25 (both are 9 mm). I know several club members have XD's and XDM's of different calibers.

brettwp

Dec 22, 2009
    North East, MD
    The way I see it for Compackt IWB Carry option for 45ACP in no paticular order:
    Glock 30
    Springfield XDs

Both are fine guns. Both have thier fans and detractors.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I've fired a lot of them. I hate them. They feel goofy and I've never fired one that functioned properly. That's just ME. Maybe the owners didn't take are of them or whatever, but it turned me off. A lot of people love them and have success. Opinion only. I prefer glock or sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom