• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    -can i have both my c&r license as well as the regulated firearms collector status at the same time?
    -with the c&r license i can only buy c&r weapons out of state not modern day regulated weapons.. lets say from pa?
    -after ordering the weapons i want i need to keep a log of all the important info about them, do i need to do anything else to stay out of trouble?
    -can i buy more then one c&r gun without having the regulated firearm collector status?

From what I can tell,

1- Yes.
    2- C&R allows you to have weapons on that list shipped directly to you. No modern weapons.
    3- Log book and something about ammo was in there if you're buying certain kinds. Remember the C&R is just for your personal collection, it is not a business license.
    4- If you don't have the C&R FFL, you just buy as normally, per your State's rules.

If I get a few minutes this weekend, I'll dig through my info and try and confirm; and please confirm for yourself, I'm no expert. :)

EDIT: It looks like a few of us were replying at the same time. I thought I read something about special ammo, i.e armor piercing.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    You can't use the C&R as a business. That would be a de facto FFL01 and bad news. Yes, you do need to log in all gun purchases but nothing in re ammo.

(1) You cannot, repeat CANNOT, conduct a firearms business with just a C&R. A few sales here and there from your collection is OK (e.g., if your collecting focus changes), but any systematic sales will get the Fed's notice. You don't want that.

(2) You must keep a bound book, which you use to record every C&R acquisition and C&R sale you make. You are licensed. Some folks refer to "using their license", but I think they're misinterpreting the requirements for maintaining a bound book.

(3) You do not record ammunition acquisitions into your bound book. There's no Federal requirement to keep such a record, nor any MD requirement either.

Bryan

Excellent. Thank you both for the clarification. I must have been reading it wrong in that I thought you only had to keep a log if you were running a C&R business, which I do not plan on doing. So basically, I just have to keep a log of my C&R firearm purchases (and sales but I doubt there will be any of those) for my collection. Thanks!

matt_yamaha_guy_450

Jun 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    thanks for all the help! i have all my info filled in except where it asks for the cleo official do i need to fill in somthing there or is it for the official himself?

- thanks, matt

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Hi everyone! So after reading through all of the information I think my questions have gotten answered and if someone could correct me if i am wrong...

-with the c&r license i can only buy c&r weapons out of state not modern day regulated weapons.. lets say from pa?

You can buy any that are 50 years old or older plus, any that are on the C&R list. I don't know what you consider "modern" but some of those are of fairly recent manufacture because if someone submits them to the ATF for possible inclusion the criteria is that they have historic or collector value.

Q: What is a firearm curio or relic?

Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

Have been manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; or
    Be certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or
    Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html#definition

-after ordering the weapons i want i need to keep a log of all the important info about them,

As already stated, you must keep a bound book. It has to be in the mandated format, with the mandated fields completed and completed according to the rules they send to you.

do i need to do anything else to stay out of trouble?

Too much for one post. Search for the "C&R List" online, that also has the rules. Peruse the posts here particularly about handgun purchases.

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    thanks for all the help! i have all my info filled in except where it asks for the cleo official do i need to fill in somthing there or is it for the official himself?

- thanks, matt

You need to complete the CLEO copy with the same information as the ATF one (just some fields are not there, such as for payment). You also have to send those copies (the ones marked for the CLEO) to the CLEO. The CLEO fills out nothing. This is information you are providing him.

matt_yamaha_guy_450

Jun 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    someone told me there is a ATF F 5330.20, Certificate that i need to fill out as well does anyone have more information and does the cleo get this form as well as atf? hopefully i will be sending out forms in the next day or so!! :)

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    You do not need to complete 5330.20. You already certify that you are a U.S. citizen in section 9 of the C&R application itself. The form is redundant. I didn't fill one out and I got my C&R.

matt_yamaha_guy_450

Jun 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks a lot! I will be ready to send in my papers as soon as i stop getting the run around on finding out who my cleo is i called anne arundel county police and then they told me to call mdsp and he was clue less and told me to call back and talk to someone in the liscincing division

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Hmmm, you only have to be 21 to own a handgun, correct? I think you can own long guns if you're younger than that, and they're plenty of them on the C&R list. There may be a caveat in the C&R app though, I'm a bit passed 21 myself and didn't pay much attention to any age restrictions if I did see it.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Quick Question:

Maryland C&R (FFL3) wishes to sell bona fide C&R piece to:

Non C&R Buyer in Virginia.......

Seems a VA. FFL must be used to do transfer......

Right??

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom