Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Neighborhood > West Virginia

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #1
OnTarget

Manchin joins National Right-to-Carry Recprocity Act 2012

"WASHINGTON (PRESS RELEASE) - In an effort to remove burdensome red tape that limits the ability of legal concealed carry permit holders to carry concealed firearms into other states that allow them, U.S. Senator Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) has joined a bipartisan group of Senators in introducing the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012."

http://www.wvva.com/story/17139164/m...eciprocity-law

Paul Newman: "I wish I felt a little more comfortable about the direction that we're going. It does not seem to be of the people, by the people and for the people. It seems to be about something else completely different. I think part of it is the media's fault for not being more aggressive and persistent and nasty and I think it's the people's fault for not paying attention. That's not a good combination. It allows people in government to do pretty much what they want."
OnTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #2
OnTarget

I'm surprised that there has been no excitement about this post!

Paul Newman: "I wish I felt a little more comfortable about the direction that we're going. It does not seem to be of the people, by the people and for the people. It seems to be about something else completely different. I think part of it is the media's fault for not being more aggressive and persistent and nasty and I think it's the people's fault for not paying attention. That's not a good combination. It allows people in government to do pretty much what they want."
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #3
mrjam2jab

Again...a news story about a bill....without identifying the bill by number. Why do they do this?

Is this bill that they are introducing going to help with HR822 that is currently sitting in the Senate? Or are trying to recreate the wheel?

Prudence will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed
mrjam2jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #4
MJD438
MSI Sustaining Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
Again...a news story about a bill....without identifying the bill by number. Why do they do this?

Is this bill that they are introducing going to help with HR822 that is currently sitting in the Senate? Or are trying to recreate the wheel?
Not a "news story" - that is the text of the Press Release from the Senator's office. I just did a search on the US Senate Legislation & Records site and cannot find anything on this "bill". It does not appear to be enrolled with an official number as of yet. I did manage to find this PDF, which looks like the text the Press Release describes (have not read the document completely as of yet).

MJD438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #5
ezliving
Besieger

Quote:
The legislation also says an individual who is ineligible for a concealed carry permit in his or her state would not be allowed to obtain an out-of-state permit in a state with less restrictive eligibility requirements, and use that permit to carry a concealed handgun in his or her state.
Dislike.

Wouldn't this cause a problem for Marylanders with only a VA CCW if, on a cold day in hell, MD HB 256 passed and O'Malley signed it into law?

In Muscarello v. United States, 524 U. S. 125 (1998), in the course of analyzing the meaning of “carries a firearm” in a federal criminal statute, JUSTICE GINSBURG wrote that “[s]urely a most familiar meaning is, as the Constitution’s Second Amendment . . . indicate[s]: ‘wear, bear, or carry . . . upon the person or in the clothing or in a pocket, for the purpose . . . of being armed and ready for offensive or defensive action in a case of conflict with another person.’ ” DC v. Heller (2008.)
ezliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #6
bcr229
FFL/SOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTarget View Post
I'm surprised that there has been no excitement about this post!
That's because when a WV Democrat does something pro-gun, it's not really news...

TankVest.com - Attach MOLLE gear to your motorcycle gas tank.
bcr229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Dklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezliving View Post
Dislike.

Wouldn't this cause a problem for Marylanders with only a VA CCW if, on a cold day in hell, MD HB 256 passed and O'Malley signed it into law?
What if you already have one?
Dklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Kashmir1008
MSI Executive Member

From the NRA/ILA email I received yesterday

“National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012”
introduced in U.S. Senate

Today, March 13, U.S. Senators Mark Begich (D-Alaska) and Joe Manchin (D-West Virginia) introduced S. 2188, the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012.” The bill is the Senate companion to H. R. 822, which was approved by the U. S. House last November by a vote of 272-154.

S. 2188, like H.R. 822, would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed handgun in any other state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes. A state's laws governing where concealed handguns may be carried would apply within its borders.

Today 49 states either issue carry permits or otherwise authorize law-abiding people to carry firearms outside the home for self-defense. 41 states have fair “shall issue” permit systems that allow any law-abiding person to get a permit.

In contrast to dire predictions from anti-gun groups, Right-to-Carry laws have been enormously successful. Interstate reciprocity will serve as a fundamental protection of the right to self-defense by providing people with the ability to protect themselves not only in their home states, but anywhere they travel where carry concealed carry is legal.

Contrary to the false claims of some, these bills would not create federal gun registration or gun owner licensing, nor would they allow any federal agency to establish a federal standard for a carry permit or impose gun control restrictions of any kind.

These bills would have no effect on permitless carry laws, currently on the books in Arizona, Alaska, Wyoming and Vermont, that allow concealed carry without a permit. In addition, Vermont residents would be able to take advantage of S. 2188 and H.R. 822 by obtaining a permit from one of the many states that offer non-resident permits.

Please contact your U.S. Senators today and urge them to cosponsor S. 2188. You can call your U.S. Senators at 202-224-3121 or send them an email by clicking here.

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-l...your-reps.aspx
Kashmir1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #9
mudd4life88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/fe...us-senate.aspx

If all of this seems like a great deal of trouble, think what's at stake. We are faced with the most evil enemy mankind has known in his long climb from the swamp to the stars. There can be no security anywhere in the free world if there is no fiscal and economic stability within the United States. Those who ask us to trade our freedom for the soup kitchen of the welfare state are architects of a policy of accommodation.

President Ronald Reagan
mudd4life88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #10
hasteranger

It would be awesome to see this pass. It is one of the biggest hurdles to successful concealed carry in the eastern panhandle... you can't get anywhere without passing through PA, VA, and MD... and the laws are so different from state to state it makes it very hard to be legal.
hasteranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #11
OnTarget

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
That's because when a WV Democrat does something pro-gun, it's not really news...
Agree!

Home Page > Forum List > The Neighborhood > West Virginia