• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    Really considering purchasing a p99. Im thinking i will give a striker fired polymer a chance I hear mostly good things about it. But I don't hear all that much about it. Even odd angled mushy trigger glocks get all kind of praise and it seems like the p99 just seems to fall through the cracks. Is there a reason for it? Is there something not to like aboutthis pistol I'm just not catching on to. When I have handled it it felt great in the hand. And seems we enough built.
    Thanks for any opinions.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I wish I could.

Great trigger with quick reset. Looks good. Feels great in hand.

Worst I can say is that it has a little more flip than Glock, a little heavy for polymer and a little pricey.

Just do it man!

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I'm no expert on pistols with plastic parts -- if it was designed after World War II, I know nearly nothing about it. Regardless, I think maybe the problem is that there is no problem; maybe it's just a very well-designed, ergonomically successful, incredibly reliable, pick-it-up-and-shoot-it-no-matter-what pistol.

I say, you want one? Get it. Enjoy. Post pics.

PS This is also not the place to come to be talked out of buying a gun, but I suspect you knew that.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    wish I could.

Great trigger with quick reset. Looks good. Feels great in hand.

Worst I can say is that it has a little more flip than Glock, a little heavy for polymer and a little pricey.

Just do it man!

+1

The P99 is an awesome pistol. I have one in .40 cal (i have a wife and 3 kids so no gay jokes please) and i love it.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The reasons they 'fall through the cracks' are:
    - the price
    - lackluster support by S&W
    - the price
    - few retailers that carry it due to price induced low volumes
    - the price
    - intermittent quality problems at S&W (depending on the model, slide and barrel come from Walther, the rest is S&W)
    - the price

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    p99 and factory target.jpg

p99 in crossbreed snapslide.jpg

absolutely love it. i'll take some time to take mine apart for you and take photos so you get a quick step-by-step on take-down. Never had any problems with it and it's scary accurate(as target from factory proves that comes with it.)

It costs more because you get more. You get excellent machining and fit between barrel and slide. You get tennifer finish that glocks have for excellent wear and corrosion resistance. You get 4 front sights(2 taller, 1 shorter and the factory one) that are easily changed by you by unscrewing the lockscrew from inside and popping out the sight. The rear sight is windage adjustable by turning a screw held in place by a detent. You get 3 backstraps(small, medium and a large that wraps up and around the "beavertail" part of the grip). The magazines have cutouts in them that give you very accurate round counts.

The gun has a decocker(in AS model that's extremely unique for striker-fired guns) that lets you carry in "double action" if you desire. It's got a "anti-stress" first pull if you decide to carry it "single action" which means the first pull is light, but long as the double-action. all subsequent shots the single action pull stays back and isn't as long. The reset is freakishly short. The gun has a "trigger safety" by placing a trigger shoe around the "trigger" which hinges on a pin to move up and out of the way of the frame. It's also got plunger style striker safety on the inside that's already cut to a nice shallow ramp...although the bar that pushes it up is made from stamped steel and the trigger can benefit greatly from some polishing on this bar.

The gun has a striker indicator out the back that lets you know if it's cocked and a chamber loaded indicator on the extractor that lets you know if there's a round in the chamber. It's got an ambidextrous magazine release that allows you to use your trigger finger to release the magazine without breaking your grip to use your thumb. after you train for it, it's much faster and natural.

The slide is "dehorned" from the factory and is striated on the top to knock down glare for a better sight picture. the ejection port is already flared from the factory for more reliable ejection. The grip is the most comfortable i've ever felt on a gun, except for maybe the HK45's.

For holsters, the S&W m&p blackhawk serpa paddle holster fits the p99, i've got galco thumbreak owb and a crossbreed snapslide(pictured above) both made for the p99. iwb you can always get a crossbreed supertuck.

for aftermarket sights, i got the meprolight tritium sights and they just dropped right in with no smithing tools needed.

in short....BUY IT AND NEVER LOOK BACK!!!

(negatives...Trigger guard shape limits what you can put on the rail. tlr-1/2's wont fit, neither with the glock lights. The only thing's i've found that fit are the sub-compact lasers and lights. Others are too long and run into the front of the trigger guard before they engage the slot. trigger has a short reset, but has some creep to it. the trick to shooting well is to fire, let out just enough to reset and fire again. if you let the trigger all the way out between shots it's harder to shoot quick and accurate. magazines are expensive as crap, but are made extremely well)

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sog has used ones for less than 4 hundo. Just saw it yesterday

if you can, look for ones with my trigger guard design. Some of the older ones have a "ski-jump" hump on the bottom that can be annoying. also, the older ones often have a shorter magazine release. the newer design with the extended magazine release and flat trigger guard are more ergonomic.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    So not one person reccomends against it? Not one?
    I guess when I go to engage to pick up my revolver from the smith I'll have to ask about a transfer.
    And only 26 more days till I can get another regulated firearm. Yahoo

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I'm thinking about buying one for the fiance at some point.....sorry I can't help being an opponent of buying it. Did you really expect to find that on a gun forum? :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    So not one person reccomends against it? Not one?
    I guess when I go to engage to pick up my revolver from the smith I'll have to ask about a transfer.
    And only 26 more days till I can get another regulated firearm. Yahoo

rent one and shoot it against an m&p, glock 19, xdm9 and fnp9 to see how you like it. the gun is mechanically excellent, but all those others i mentioned will be reliable and accurate as well. If it fits you, it fits you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom