• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sako204

Nov 7, 2012
    http://www.wbal.com/article/142507/135/state-legislators-outline-new-gun-control-proposals

Wednesday, February 10 2016
    Associated Press

ANNAPOLIS (AP) -- Maryland Democrats are outlining a package of gun-control measures as part of their legislative priorities this session.

One measure discussed Wednesday would ban guns on public college campuses. Now, gun policies are decided on a campus-by-campus basis.

Another bill would ban people on the national no-fly list from buying guns. It would prevent the state police from issuing gun permits to those on the terrorist-watch list that is maintained by the FBI.

A third measure would require courts to order people convicted of a domestic-related crime to transfer their firearms to a federally licensed firearms dealer or local law enforcement within two days of conviction or probation. It would create a process for people convicted of domestic violence offences to turn in guns.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Well, since it is mid-winter, we're already on that slippery slope, so....where's that ol' toboggan?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Is number 3 a bad thing? It is saying after they are convicted, so there is due process.

Boxtop

Sep 17, 2010
    Harford County
    How about stand up and fight?

How?

We are outvoted and the politicians supporting this don't care or need to care about what we think.

So I can write letters and call my reps but that won't make a lick of difference in the end.

So tell me how to stand up and fight. Seriously.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    How?

We are outvoted and the politicians supporting this don't care or need to care about what we think.

So I can write letters and call my reps but that won't make a lick of difference in the end.

So tell me how to stand up and fight. Seriously.

Go to Annapolis. The FSA2013 that was passed was not the FSA2013 that they wanted passed.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Without reading the bills, it seems like the no-fly is the only problem here (and what's a gun permit? An HQL?)

Do any public universities permit firearms anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Without reading the bills, it seems like the no-fly is the only problem here (and what's a gun permit? An HQL?)

Do any public universities permit firearms anyway?

Yes. I will restrict this to what I know about UMD. They allow people with a valid carry permit to carry on campus. That would essentially require an unrestricted carry permit that only leos can get. The state's egregiously strict laws elimiate the possibility of a firearm from being on campus for any other reason.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Yes. I will restrict this to what I know about UMD. They allow people with a valid carry permit to carry on campus. That would essentially require an unrestricted carry permit that only leos can get. The state's egregiously strict laws elimiate the possibility of a firearm from being on campus for any other reason.

thanks!

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    thanks!

There isn't really anywhere to find that information. UMD student conduct talks about weapons but is vague about who is authorized to carry on campus. I talked to the UMPD police chief and this is what I got out of talking to him. I would be surprised if he likes this bill.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Or contractors working there. I've put plenty of kitchens in at UMD.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    Another bill would ban people on the national no-fly list from buying guns.

Do we know who pushed that bill? Considering the no-fly list disproportionately targets Muslims and people from the Middle East I'd like to ask them why they are racially profiling and targeting those people.

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    Is number 3 a bad thing? It is saying after they are convicted, so there is due process.

I understand that there are some men who were accused of domestic violence in the past, and were advised to accept a minor misdemeanor charge instead of taking there chances at a trial. They talked about this very thing on "Gun Talk" this past Sunday.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I understand that there are some men who were accused of domestic violence in the past, and were advised to accept a minor misdemeanor charge instead of taking there chances at a trial. They talked about this very thing on "Gun Talk" this past Sunday.

That's a good point, but still I'm not I totally oppose this. They had their opportunity for due process.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Do we know who pushed that bill? Considering the no-fly list disproportionately targets Muslims and people from the Middle East I'd like to ask them why they are racially profiling and targeting those people.

The no-fly list is also fraught with errors. Among others, it includes a prominent conservative national journalist, Steve Hayes of the Weekly Standard and Fox News.

Wraith

Oct 19, 2009
    Denton
    Serious question, is there any way for the counties that are constantly getting screwed by the GA, to reign them in? There has to be a way around this 3 county based dictatorship of the MD State House.

ih23

Dec 13, 2009
    Rockville, MD

:thumbsup:

And the fact that many of these cases usually turn favorably toward the women, regardless of the actual circumstance. Many juries or judges give the less capable the benefit of the doubt. I would rather everyone retained their gun rights, and instead this state allowed women in such a hostile situation to obtain a carry permit immediately. I've heard of countless stories where women have waited for a permit, or never got one, and then died thereafter by a husband or boyfriend who beat them to death, without a firearm at that. I've heard stories of drunk men, while in rage, punching a woman, or throwing her, or throwing something at her, with enough force to kill them or commit serious physical injury. This state, like everything else, does the wrong thing to solve the problem. They always do the opposite. Give the victim a permit to properly defend herself with a firearm. That would be a more effective solution. A paper or court order or another prohibition law won't do much against a violent offender confronting a defenseless victim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom