• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    HB 1005 Handgun Permit Requirements - Retired Military

Our Retired Veterans have already demonstrated a career of patriotism , self discipline , and service.

Our Retired Veterans have all received extensive training in the safe handling, and effective use of firearms.

Our Retired Veterans have all participated in exercises and training to effectivly function in conditions simulating dangerous and chaotic situations.

Many of our Retired Veterans have experience in functioning under actual Combat Conditions.

This Bill will enable Maryland Citizens to benefit from their long years of sevice , and dedication to Duty.

Please give a Favorable recommendation to this Bill.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    HB (262 or 1356) Bowhunting - possesion of handguns

The ability for Bowhunters to able to have a handgun for protection would be a signifigent safety measure, and bring Md in line with large and growing number of states nationwide.

Of recent years the population explosion of Black Bears has seen them very common in their traditional habitats , and expanding their range into areas where they haven't been seen in modern times. This makes them much more likely to be encountered by Sportsmen afield,

And the dangers are not just from four legged creatures. Two components of our nation's illegal drug epidenic are illict marijuiana fields , and clandestine methamphetamine production labs. These are commonly located in isolated , rural areas, and often located on publicly own isolated Forrests, and natural resourse area, or isolated private property without the knowledge of the landowner . Which are aslo frequently prime hunting areas.

Twenty years ago, the hunting community has shocked by the murders of Don Hill on November 20, 1993 , and Gregory Wood on November 25, 1993 in adjacent Counties in North Florida while they were hunting. There was much speculation at the time, but Investagators eventually found that they were both killed persuant to robbery of their money and valuables, and were targeted by being alone in the woods of a National Forest, and a Wildlife management Area respectivly.

This common sense measure to not prohibit Bowhunts from possesing personal protection handguns has already been adopted by our neighboring States of Pennyslvania , Virginia, and West Virginia . Nationwide Bowhunters are able to protect themselves in : Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Missouri , Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennennsse, Texas, Washington state and Wyoming, with more states adding all the time.

The traditional concern with the practice had been to prevent the possability of illegal hunting by bowhunters , but this has not be a signifigent problem in those states where the practice is allowed. This Bill's provision of non- hunting style handguns of restricted barell length , and no optical sights intended for long distance shooting are adaquate to ensure complience with the hunting rules.

The part of this Bill that could be problematic in the future are the geographic boundries for its provisions. The Specification of Deer Management Zone A is indeed a resonable boundry , as the Deer Zones are presently constructed . But maryland's depart of Natural Resourses is very procative and diligent in modifing the geographically based areas in managing Maryland's population of Deer and other wildlife. During my years of hunting , I have seen the State vary from statewide to six zones , with boundries constantly evolving to reflect habitat and wildlife population changes.

In order to meet the Hunter safety concerns, and avoid confusion, this Bill sould be modified to reflect specific , recognizable boundries into future years. Possabilities include all of washington, Alleganey , and Garrett Counties. Condisering terrian and wildlife on South Mountain, and adjacent areas , a boundry of US 15 from Pa State line south to intersection with US340, and thence US340 to the Virginia State line. If the general Assembly prefered to leave the boundry to be determined by the DNR, the specification of "Those areas where centerfire rifles are allowed for Deer Hunting would closely conform to the second option presented above.

The Committee should give this Bill a favorable recomendation, subject to a more difinative physical boundry.
    Love the testimony, you may want to run spell check on it though...if you are concerned that they will actually read it.

Also an important point. Making pages double spaced and adding pictures is helpful and makes documents easier to read.

Graphs and charts on a (likely) black and white printer may not work as well.

Do you think they will allow video? AKA PowerPoint? I would love to put up the Right To Carry slides with the states changing colors while Mr.H testified about CCW permits in MD.

Attachments

• Rtc2.gif
      Rtc2.gif
      61.9 KB · Views: 140

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Do you think they will allow video? AKA PowerPoint? I would love to put up the Right To Carry slides with the states changing colors while Mr.H testified about CCW permits in MD.
    They have provisions at the witness table to connect your laptop to the video display system and video monitors in the podia in the middle of the room to view any displays.

If you want to use those, I would suggest that you reach out to delegatemikesmigiel@gmail.com ASAP so that someone from the office can make sure to alert the appropriate people about the potential for video needs during testimony.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Attached is my testimony in support of HB 36.

Nevermind what I just posted. After reading DCW's document, there is not much more that needs to be said. I think the visual would be powerful, though I would hope everyone would be listening to him speak. Nice work!:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    HB 997 Competition Shooting and Match Shooting - Firearms Excemption

Many disciplines of Rifle competion commonly involve Modern Sporting Rifles and standard capacity magazines in order to be competitive , others explicetly require them. These include the various popular action and three gun competions that are frequently televised, and the National Champoinships held in Camp Perry , Ohio each year.

Due to Maryland's somewhat unique geography, most locations in Maryland are within a reasonable diistance of a Border. Many of the Gun and Sportsman Clubs with shooting ranges have a signifigent percentage of both members and Match participants who reside in a neighboring state.

This Bill would ensure the viability of Maryland Gun and Sportsman Clubs , and encourage participation and excellence in the Shooting Sports both here in Maryland, and nationally.

Please give this Bill a Favorable recomendation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OH , now we want spelling too.
    But seriously these are draft proposed testimonies that I am getting out there so that people can use them as a tool if they wish. When I am putting them into email form to send to Andi , I will apply my redheaded spell checker first before hitting send.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    OH , now we want spelling too.
    But seriously these are draft proposed testimonies that I am getting out there so that people can use them as a tool if they wish. When I am putting them into email form to send to Andi , I will apply my redheaded spell checker first before hitting send.

Not giving you a hard time. No offense.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    HB 997 Competition Shooting and Match Shooting - Firearms Excemption

Many disciplines of Rifle competion commonly involve Modern Sporting Rifles and standard capacity magazines in order to be competitive , others explicetly require them. These include the various popular action and three gun competions that are frequently televised, and the National Champoinships held in Camp Perry , Ohio each year.

Due to Maryland's somewhat unique geography, most locations in Maryland are within a reasonable diistance of a Border. Many of the Gun and Sportsman Clubs with shooting ranges have a signifigent percentage of both members and Match participants who reside in a neighboring state.

This Bill would ensure the viability of Maryland Gun and Sportsman Clubs , and encourage participation and excellence in the Shooting Sports both here in Maryland, and nationally.

Please give this Bill a Favorable recomendation.

Oh, and now I just spent the last hour going through all of these and decided to write something up on HB 997. It was all for naught, since I couldn't have said it any better.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    All of us #44's have to stick together.

Meanwhile, I will be hitting HB215. This one will be unique in that I expect there will be a substantial number of us taking the Against position , as well as the For position, as there is difference of opinion on how much preferential treatment is suitable for retired LEO's.

So I will do a draft for each position.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    HB 215 *in favor*

HB 215 Handgun Permit-Renewal Period for Retired law Enforcement Officer

After a career of Keeping the Peace, and Serving and Protecting, Maryland's Retired Law Enforcement Officers are a valuable resource for Public Safety.

Even though they are retired , and not dealing with routine police matters, they are highly trained and experienced , and able to react to situations of sudden violent attacks in public, natural disasters , active shooter incidents and terrorist attacks as they are out and about on their usal activities.

Making the process streamlined for them to obtain and renew handgun permits will encourage them in being armed to better be able to aid the public when nesecary. This Bill will assist in that.

The only thing this Bill needs is to Ammend the definition of *Retired Law Enforcement Officer* to clearly include those retired from BiCounty Regional Agency Police Departments , and Congressionally Chartered Multi State Regional Transit Authorities.

Please give this Bill a Favorable endorsement so Ammended.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    HB 215 *against*

HB 215 renewal Period for Retired Law Enforcement Officer

Police work is a noble profession. The myriad of service they render to the benefit of the public are vast , and vital to our society. Our Retired Law Enforcement Officers are to be honored for their dedication, and efforts in protecting and serving the public, much in the same way as our Retired Millitary Servicemen and Women for their service to our country.

But alas , in retirement Law Enforcement Officers are again regular citizens, and their authority and responsabilities are the same as every other citizen.

In light of their former service , they are due a certain measure of consideration for the nature of threats and dangers from their careers that follow against them into their retirement.

Their existing ability to recieve Handgun Permits without the same elusive , and narrowly construed "Good and Substantial reason" as the remainder of Maryland residents, and their favorable handling of Permits that were inadvertently allow to laspe , is already a major Courtesy extended to Retired Law Enforcement Officers , and it is not nesecarry, or equitable to the rest of Maryland citzens to make their Permit renewals easier and less frequent.

Now , on the other hand , if the State of Maryland feels that it is suitable for 5 year renewals , and no fingerprints for renewals , then let's extend those to ALL Permit holders.

Please give this Bill an Unfavorable review.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Here is an opinion piece posted by Fox News that should be included in all written testimony for concealed carry permits:

How gun control helped a stalker kill my husband

By Nicole Goeser

Published February 25, 2014

In April 2009, my husband was shot six times in front of me in the middle of a busy restaurant by a man who was stalking me. I have a permit to carry a handgun but because of the law at that time in my home state of Tennessee, I had to leave the gun that I normally carried for self defense, locked in my car that night.

My husband Ben and I ran our mobile karaoke business out of a restaurant that served alcohol and my gun was forbidden there. I obeyed the law but my stalker, who was carrying a gun illegally, ignored it.

I noticed my stalker (a former karaoke customer) in the crowd that night and I knew something was not right. This was a man that I had blocked from my social network account due to inappropriate messages he had sent me.

He had never threatened me or my husband but he was definitely creepy.

My husband Ben had asked him to leave me alone before he showed up at this venue where I had never seen him before.

I realized at that point I was being stalked.

I asked the management at the restaurant to remove him.When they approached him and asked him to leave, he pulled out a .45 semi-auto and shot Ben. He then stood over him and continued to fire five more rounds into my husband.

I could only watch in horror and helplessness.

Since that terrible night I have learned that gun free zones are a predator's playground. This is where my stalker found us and where we were defenseless.

We all have a fight or flight response when we sense danger. We make decisions based on the options we have at that moment. Decisions must sometimes be made in a matter of seconds.

My only option that night was flight. Fight was not something I would have been able to follow through with because I was denied that chance. That basic human right was taken from me by a Legislature that unintentionally helped a predator hunt down his prey.

I hope that lawmakers around the nation will begin to understand that when you disarm law abiding citizens, you do not help protect law abiding citizens. Instead, you actually make it easier for those with evil intentions to be met with no little or no resistance.

In one way, I was lucky on the night my husband was shot and killed -- and so was everyone else in the restaurant. A United States Marine happened to be in the crowd, he tackled the man who killed my husband and held him until the police came.

I have been told the police arrived within 3 minutes after getting the 911 call. I can tell you that when something so terrible is happening to yourself or someone you love, even three minutes seems like an eternity. The familiar saying "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away" is very true.

I respect law enforcement. They have a very difficult job but even they know they cannot be anywhere and everywhere at anytime.

The majority of rank and file police officers I have spoken with support right to carry laws. They would much rather find an innocent person with a smoking gun and a dead bad guy than the other way around.

Unfortunately, most law enforcement officers fear speaking out in support of right to carry laws for fear of retaliation by their superiors, who, more often than not, are attuned to politics and not inclined to support self defense laws.

Then there are those who fear gun permit holders might do something wrong with a gun or hurt an innocent bystander.

I personally am more concerned about a bad guy shooting indiscriminately with no regard for innocent life rather than a permit holder who has had state certified training and fears criminal and civil penalties. Those penalties act as very real deterrents for good people. Less than one percent of permit holders ever do anything wrong with a gun. I can't think of any segment of society that is more law abiding.

It's time for law abiding people, who have taken proper legal measures to provide for their own self defense, to be allowed to carry a gun to places where they have a right to be present.

Evil can visit us anywhere. Signs posted on doors declaring "no guns allowed" do nothing to protect any of us.

Since my husband's murder, the law has been changed in the state of Tennessee. Handgun carry permit holders can now carry their guns into establishments that serve alcohol -- as long as they are not drinking alcohol and as long as the establishment has not posted a "no guns allowed" SIGN.

At least this gives law abiding citizens the ability to try to protect themselves. A right that my husband, Ben and I were tragically denied on the night he died.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/02/25/stalker-killed-my-husband-and-law-prevented-me-from-using-my-gun-to-save-him/?intcmp=latestnews

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Here are 4 sent as 4 separate emails to Delegate Smigiel's office.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In opposition to HB 42:

Prohibiting . . . transferring a regulated firearm . . . .

The author, of HB 42, presupposes it is lawful to hold a Constitutional
    right indefinitely in abeyance by granting the power to do so to the State
    Police.

Wonder what the author thinks about applying the same rule to
    freedom of speech, or to the press, or to the right of abortion?

Ludicrous.

Signed, full name and address
    District 37 B
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In opposition to HB 115

Firearms and Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) Devices

In United States v. Jones, 132 S. Ct. 945, 2012 U.S. LEXIS 1063 (Jan. 23,
    2012)* a unanimous Supreme Court held the authorities violated the Fourth
    Amendment when they attached a GPS device to a car and tracked its
    movements.*

The same rational would apply to tracking by attaching a tracking
    device to any firearm without probable cause.

Full name and address
    District 37 B

*http://www.oyez.org/cases/2010-2019/2011/2011_10_1259

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In support of HB 521:

Hand gun Qualification

An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons
    bans on state-level murder rates

Mark Guis, Democrat Professor, published Feb. 2014 in The Journal of
    Economic Letters

From the abstract:*

"The purpose of the present study is to determine the effects of state-level
    assault weapons bans and concealed weapons laws on state-level murder rates.

Using data for the period 1980 to 2009 and controlling for state and year
    fixed effects, the results of the present study suggest that states with
    restrictions on the carrying of concealed weapons had higher gun-related
    murder rates than other states. It was also found that assault weapons bans
    did not significantly affect murder rates at the state level.

These results suggest that restrictive concealed weapons laws may cause an
    increase in gun-related murders at the state level. The results of this
    study are consistent with some prior research in this area, most notably
    Lott and Mustard (1997)."

Full name and address
    Dissertate 37 B

*http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13504851.2013.854294#.UsWoRdJDvSs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In support of HB 60,

Members of the Committee

As you probably know, among the many comprehensive evaluations of "gun
    related violence" are one initiated by the Obama Administration, another by
    the Clinton Administration and still another published in the Harvard
    Journal of law and Public Policy:

From the Center for Disease Control report (requested by President Obama)
    released in June of 2013, after a review of 195 references, "[w]hither gun
    restrictions reduce firearm-related violence is an unresolved issue."
    http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=18319

From the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, at page 654, Vol. 30, "In
    2004, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences released its evaluation
    http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309091241 from a review of 253 journal
    articles, 99 books, 43 government publications and some original empirical
    research. It failed to identify any gun control that had reduced violent
    crime, suicide, or gun accidents. It is perhaps not amiss to note that the
    review panel, which was set up during the Clinton Administration, was
    composed almost entirely of scholars who, to the extent their views were
    publicly known before their appointments, favored gun
    control."http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

No "gun [restriction]" or "control" has been "[identified]" that has
    lessened what some, passionately and mistakenly, claim is "gun violence."
    Those who support the Fire Arms Safety Act of 2013 need to produce
    credible, higher authority refuting the conclusions reached by the
    referenced sources.

Some say that expecting unworkable methods to yield wished for results is a
    product of delusional thinking.

Full name and address
    District 37 B

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    HB 42 UNF Writeup Attached.

Too long to post directly. Chock full of facts, citations, charts, etc.

Attachments

• HB 42 Written Testimony for 20140304 MDS.pdf
      908.4 KB · Views: 121
    Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since HB262 and HB1356 are word for word identical , do we submit two seperate testimony , or one testimony with both Bills in the title ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom