• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOctane

Jan 16, 2009
    Lutherville Maryland
    I have tried google and searching on here for all the actual documentation related to Marylands CCW permits but have not found anything helpful.

I wish to apply for one and just want to know the process and the steps i need to get it.

I work in the Insurance business and my boss and a co-worker told me i could get one easily because of the high dollar checks i deal with. I figure i might as well get one now while i still can.

Any information you all can offer would be greatly appreciated....links or copy/paste stuff....anything really.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I'm no expert and haven't tried applying myself.

From what I've read that MSP doesn't consider checks a "good and substantial" reason. If you dealt with a lot of cash for your business it would be a no-brainer but haven't heard of anyone doing it with check yet.

Let us know how it goes.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Go to the state police barracks and ask them for an application, they will ask a few questions, and if they think you have a chance at obtaining one, they will give you an app, fill it out, read the directions, and if/when you get an interview, bring all the documentation the police ask for. I have no idea what happens after that, thats as far as I made it .

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    wow, so you have to interview for a ccw and pray that they find you worthy to carry a hidden weapon 35 minutes out of the day on odd numbered Wednesdays?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Give a call to the licensing division. Number at the top of the application. I found them surprisingly helpful. I think a lot may depend on the Trooper who does your interview. I am currently going through the process. It seems that they assign a particular Trooper to do the background checks etc. The Trooper I dealt with seemed to be very pro-CCW. The questions are pretty straight-forward. Why do you want to carry....are you in a high crime area...ever had any legal trouble....what experience to you have with shooting etc.

TheOctane

Jan 16, 2009
    Lutherville Maryland
    I drive in the "field" which means anywhere in maryland and i appraise damages on cars/trucks/busses. A lot of the time in the PG county area...very bad neighborhoods....We have had appraisers car jacked, beat up, guns pulled. I can only go off of what my boss told me about when he had a CCW....Ill get more specifics before i go in there so that i have the right answers.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    I drive in the "field" which means anywhere in maryland and i appraise damages on cars/trucks/busses. A lot of the time in the PG county area...very bad neighborhoods....We have had appraisers car jacked, beat up, guns pulled. I can only go off of what my boss told me about when he had a CCW....Ill get more specifics before i go in there so that i have the right answers.

unless you've been personally pistol whipped and shot at atleast once i give you a 45% chance to get one. Good luck and keep us updated

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    All you have to do to apply for your permit and find out information is go to the Maryland State Police web site (www.mdsp.org). Click on the Firearms / Permits / Licensing tab. This explaines everything and tells you how to go about it.

Good luck

BGAndrea

Mar 28, 2009
    Maryland self-defense questions

What type of business docs need to be shown to get a CCW? Business license, checking acct???

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    What type of business docs need to be shown to get a CCW? Business license, checking acct???
    The other guys who have done this will answer this, but the impression I got from their previous posts is you need a bunch of deposit recipts over time to show the state police that you carry large sums to the bank.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    My understanding is they want you to have a need to protect cash more then yourself.
    Try a search in here. Someone recentlly documented the process of getting a ccw permit here:)

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I'm in the process now, sent my app about a month and a half ago. It does not need to be cash or large amounts from what I was told by MSP. The documentation I sent was a copy of a recent bank statement showing deposits and wthdrawls for a week. You need only prove that you make transactions not what form they are in, Credit card deposits don't count but checks and cash show up the same. As the reason for needing the permit I put bank deposits and general security of the workplace... They will put restrictions on your permit and I don't figure it hurts to ask. I work on cars for a living and go on lots of test drives, would be a real pain in the arse if I had to secure my weapon every time I needed to leave the shop. I've heard they will more than likely put a "for business use only" or "for making deposits only" restriction on there. The former is much less resrictive if you can get it, this way you will be goog to go during the entire work day instead of having to prove your making a bank run.

Call the MSP in Pikesville and ask questions, they were real freindly and helpful to me on the phone.

Good luck!

Bare Arms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2009
    Baltimore
    My good and substantial reason for the MSP is the 2nd amendment to the U.S. Constution, Article four of the Bill of Rights. This whole process that Marylanders must go through (essentially begging, pleading and paying for a right that our NATIONAL, overarching laws already provide us) is felonious if you ask me. We as a people should not have to plead permission from our government. They took/take an oath to uphold the Constitution. The people who passed the bills to put this impediment in place should all be thrown in jail.

Because after all, the words "good" or "substantial" never appear in the 2nd Amendment. Do they? And because denial of carry rights (i.e. BEARING) is an infringment of that LAW this process is very undue. I am mincing words here for effect, not to sound ignorant.

And what's this? If you are a police officer or retired officer your permit/renewal et. al. fees are WAIVED. Eh? Ella ella eh? What kind of umbrella B.S. is this? If I had a dime for every time the government acted corruptly...

Has anyone ever tried a class action lawsuit against the State of Maryland in regards to their gun laws?

I don't believe state officials have sovereign immunity...only the federal government. But we all know the idea of state officials being thrown in jail (any state for that matter) because they passed a law that went against the Constitution is ludicrous. Although it'd be right. Because after all, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    If you want some recent, first hand experience shoot me a PM. Got mine issued in 5 weeks from date of application.

SchulzeCH

Jan 31, 2009
    Harford Co
    CCW Permit and AG Policy

I have been denied a permit because I could not furnish evidence of apprehended fear. I submitted an application on the basis of being a former Maryland law enforcement officer who left the police department in good standing. I still reside in Maryland and occasionally find myself in the jurisdiction I worked as a police officer. Additionally, I meet other requirements for the permit issuance and none of that is sufficient to meet the apprehended fear or good and substantial reason standard.

My research indicates an Attorney General opinion finds the State Constitution does not contain provisions guaranteeing Maryland Citizens a right to keep and bear arms. The State Constitution does recognize the U.S. Constitution as the supreme law of the land but absent a court decision to decide the issue citizens are left with existing laws pertaining to firearms that do not necessarily preclude citizens to keeping and bearing arms in their homes or business. However as a matter of public safety the government argues firearms must be regulated. The government’s right to regulate public safety is hard to overcome. Especially when the State Constitution is silent on the people’s right to keep and bear arms.

Of great concern to all is Attorney General Gansler’s policy on Disarming Gun Traffickers see http://www.oag.state.md.us/lawenforcement.htm. Interestingly a hyperlink http://www.oag.state.md.us/Press/guns.pdf refers to the Attorney General’s Special Report entitled A Farewell to Arms authored by J. Joseph Curran, Jr., dated October 20, 1999. One can reasonably assume A Farewell to Arms reflects the current AG Policy which on page 63 states the policy of "eliminating widespread handgun ownership through restrictive handgun licensing.” In the same paragraph the report goes onto say law enforcement must have hand guns. Under certain circumstances business owners licensed to have a hand gun on the premises, and sport shooters may have handguns only after “demonstrating a compelling law enforcement or recreational reason.”

So back to the CCW permit a Maryland Citizen must meet subjective standards before the State Police will consider favorable permit action. A class action might work if a group could afford the legal cost.

Bare Arms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2009
    Baltimore
    Hmm...

I'm not arguing with you SchulzeCH. And you don't make the laws/rules so this is not a personal attack. Thanks for the info/links.

The government does have a right to protect the public. And they also must obey the Constitution. No state Constitution or law can override the U.S. Constituion. And in that regard cannot the argument be that because the police cannot be there to protect us from thugs/criminals who illegally carry then we MUST be able to carry? Not just for reasons of business but for our own protection...but in public.

Where were the police when that guy was walking toward my car at a drive-thru ATM and I got the hell out of there? Where were the police when I was nearly mugged (if not for my fast legs and the thugs' drunkeness/marijuana high) in high school? Give me back my gun carry rights NOW!

I'll go through and pass all of your unconstitutional background checks. I'll take whatever unconstitutional gun safety courses you want me to. But you entity called the government better start obeying your own regulations before you worry about regulating me. THE PEOPLE ARE THE FOURTH CHECK AND BALANCE! Never forget that, everyone.

It is up to us as a society to protect our liberties/rights. With freedom comes responsibility. Responsibility to keep those freedoms.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Hmm...

I'm not arguing with you SchulzeCH. And you don't make the laws/rules so this is not a personal attack. Thanks for the info/links.

The government does have a right to protect the public. And they also must obey the Constitution. No state Constitution or law can override the U.S. Constituion. And in that regard cannot the argument be that because the police cannot be there to protect us from thugs/criminals who illegally carry then we MUST be able to carry? Not just for reasons of business but for our own protection...but in public.

Where were the police when that guy was walking toward my car at a drive-thru ATM and I got the hell out of there? Where were the police when I was nearly mugged (if not for my fast legs and the thugs' drunkeness/marijuana high) in high school? Give me back my gun carry rights NOW!

I'll go through and pass all of your unconstitutional background checks. I'll take whatever unconstitutional gun safety courses you want me to. But you entity called the government better start obeying your own regulations before you worry about regulating me. THE PEOPLE ARE THE FOURTH CHECK AND BALANCE! Never forget that, everyone.

It is up to us as a society to protect our liberties/rights. With freedom comes responsibility. Responsibility to keep those freedoms.

You have the right idea but I don't think anyone has challenged them yet on this. I would imagine a case like Heller where it would be a long and expensive court battle. You might want to hold off until the Chicago case goes through and the incorporation clause is recognized. Then, I think, you would have a much stronger case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom