• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I picked up a Pietta 1851 Navy revolver at Cabela's last week. Using my Cabela's points, it only cost me $79.00, but I also bought the starter kit (with some "not very round" balls) and some powder, so it went up a bit. Still under $200 for everything. Thinking back, I wish I would have picked up a loading stand, since I've never loaded one of these things before. I'm really looking forward to trying it out today at Jefferson Rifle Club. Who knows, maybe it'll be a new hobby. I love the look of the bp guns.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    A loading stand is a BIG help when loading these things.

I banged one together years ago out of two scraps of 1 x 4 and a little brass hinge, but you can buy them from Dixie, and elsewhere no doubt.

I highly recommend a loading stand, but it's not a necessity.

Here's something I posted earlier about loading stands:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1475658&postcount=12

And some other suggestions from the same old thread:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1475647&postcount=10

In addition to a loading stand, I very strongly recommend these things:

BETTER YET: Buy about a hundred of these things:
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=7713

They're little rubbery tubes you prepare before you go to the range. Pour a charge of powder in a tube, use a round ball as a "cork" for the tube. Safe, convenient, saves time at the range. To use, pop the ball out of a tube, set ball aside, pour charge in chamber. Repeat for all six or five chambers. Then seat balls. Get a bunch of these tubes. They are great.

Last edited:

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Holy crap. Sometimes I'm so stupid I even surprise MYSELF! Packed up the car, drove about an hour to Jefferson, unpacked my guns, ammo, spotting scope... wait.... where's the case with the cap and ball pistol?? Yep, home sitting next to the safe. DOH!

Well, I made the best of it and still had a great time at the range. I shot my favorite rifle (Rossi 92 in .357) and I'm still amazed by the accuracy of the gun. I guess the 1851 Navy will have to wait till the next trip. In the meantime I'm going to look for a loading stand.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Just remember, you don't really need a loading stand. It's just nice to have.

Do what I did and make one.
    I also made one, out of some old boat wood/parts. :D

BP_Loading.jpg
    `

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Good for you for ordering that stuff.

I broke down and took some pictures.

First a general view of my Cap Pistols and the crude loading stand I made on a construction sight in Texas back in '84. That's scrap 1x4 stained with powder fouling. There's a big chunk missing from the base on the right hand side. Don't recall how that happened, maybe a shootout outside of San Angelo back in '86?

I was going to make it out of Philippine Mahogany, but that stuff is hard to chisel.

Loading Stand 002.jpg

Then two close ups showing how the '51 Navy fits neatly in the cut out.

Loading Stand 003.jpg

Loading Stand 004.jpg

But the longer grip of the 1860 Army doesn't allow it to fit properly, although it still works, sort of. That's because the heel of the grip fits into the notch (gouged with a dull chisel) in the base. The Remington is about the same.

Loading Stand 006.jpg

However, the folding upright can be repositioned (by removing the hinge with a screwdriver and repositioning it in its second location) to allow a perfect fit with the longer grip of the Army. You can see the difference in the grip lengths in this photo.

Loading Stand 010.jpg

Now when you get your loading stand, you might have to reposition the hinge to make it work with your Navy. That shouldn't be a big deal: you don't really even need to inlet the hinge.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    great guns. i have an Uberti 1860 Army. for the love of god clean it as soon as you finish. i didnt do this, as it got misplaced in a huge pile of clothes somehow and i ended up with horrible spots of bluing just getting taken right off. it looks like it has character, but damn i only shot it a few times before i ruined it. im getting a conversion cylinder for it ASAP. black powder is great fun though.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I picked up a Pietta 1851 Navy revolver at Cabela's last week. Using my Cabela's points, it only cost me $79.00, but I also bought the starter kit (with some "not very round" balls) and some powder, so it went up a bit. Still under $200 for everything. Thinking back, I wish I would have picked up a loading stand, since I've never loaded one of these things before. I'm really looking forward to trying it out today at Jefferson Rifle Club. Who knows, maybe it'll be a new hobby. I love the look of the bp guns.
    Loose those (you're :rolleyes:) "not very round balls.";)
    Drill small holes through them, (vary slow drill!) They make good fishing weights.
    You don't need those "Wonder Wads" either!

Round balls

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom