• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    A batch of SMLEs and No4s was exported to the US about 5-6 yrs ago, if my memory's correct, from Turkey. There were some capture pieces from the failed British and French invasion of Turkey at Gallipoli in that batch. History indeed!

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    A batch of SMLEs and No4s was exported to the US about 5-6 yrs ago, if my memory's correct, from Turkey. There were some capture pieces from the failed British and French invasion of Turkey at Gallipoli in that batch. History indeed!

It's too bad these guns can't talk. I sure would like to hear from the MkIII and my 1910 Springfield.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I purchased a Turk cut-down P-07 bayonet a while back. It's Australian made, dated 1916 and unit marked 2MD. I thought that was interesting.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    My Ishapore grenade launcher has a nut and bolt reinforcement, not a screw. Is this a what you're calling an Ishy screw?

Attachments

• 234.jpg
      234.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 113
    • 235.jpg
      235.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 113

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    My grenade launcher Ishapore rifle has the nut and bolt also. The Ishapore non-grenade launcher Mklll's have a big wood screw that's countersunk into the wood. It's a screw with a single slot, whereas the bolt has a hexhead.
    When Springfield Sporters had the grenade launchers for $25 I bought 4. Three are British and one is Indian. All four are slightly different in design and/or finish.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    What was the true purpose of those bands on the rifles? I've heard a few different things.

What I've often read is the wire wrapping was to reinforce the stock so the rifle could be used as a grenade launcher. The notion does make sense.

My No. 4 MK 2 came to me unissued and packed like a mummy in grease. It's one of the most accurate rifles I own.

My first No 1 MK III was the first milsurp rifle I ever purchased eons ago. It's an old war horse and still a great shooter.

Last year I picked up a bubba'd No 1 MK III cheap on an auction. I restocked it with a DP stock set. I decided to not refinish the furniture and leave the stripes on to give it a different flavor. For as old as it is, it's still a good shooter.

Enfields are great rifles. I only have three, but wish I had more. One can never have too many SMLE's.
    :D

Attachments

• SMLE No 4 MK 2 (MD Forum).jpg
      SMLE No 4 MK 2 (MD Forum).jpg
      49 KB · Views: 99
    • SMLE No 1 Mk III (MD Forum).jpg
      SMLE No 1 Mk III (MD Forum).jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 102
    • Right Side 01_04_11 Dsc03600.jpg
      Right Side 01_04_11 Dsc03600.jpg
      24.8 KB · Views: 96

NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    What I've often read is the wire wrapping was to reinforce the stock so the rifle could be used as a grenade launcher. The notion does make sense.

My No. 4 MK 2 came to me unissued and packed like a mummy in grease. It's one of the most accurate rifles I own.

My first No 1 MK III was the first milsurp rifle I ever purchased eons ago. It's an old war horse and still a great shooter.

Last year I picked up a bubba'd No 1 MK III cheap on an auction. I restocked it with a DP stock set. I decided to not refinish the furniture and leave the stripes on to give it a different flavor. For as old as it is, it's still a good shooter.

Enfields are great rifles. I only have three, but wish I had more. One can never have too many SMLE's.
    :D

WOW they are purdy! Do they sleep in the bed? LOL

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    I'll have to take pictures of mine. Its an Ishapore, I think '65-'66 with a 7.62 barrel. It was one of the last ones built Ishapore. She's in great shape, the only thing I don't like about it was my buddy's dad (the one I bought it off of... only $100) had the receiver drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

I haven't shot it yet because I was told that .308 would be too much pressure for it and haven't bought surplus 7.62 yet. I have cycled the action and it is the smoothest rifle I have ever seen. Even the 1903 I had wasn't as smooth!

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I'll have to take pictures of mine. Its an Ishapore, I think '65-'66 with a 7.62 barrel. It was one of the last ones built Ishapore. She's in great shape, the only thing I don't like about it was my buddy's dad (the one I bought it off of... only $100) had the receiver drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

I haven't shot it yet because I was told that .308 would be too much pressure for it and haven't bought surplus 7.62 yet. I have cycled the action and it is the smoothest rifle I have ever seen. Even the 1903 I had wasn't as smooth!

I own a 1903 and an 03-A3 and I agree they are great rifles. I haven't gotten a chance yet to shoot my MkIII but I'm excited to shoot it and compare it to the accuracy and function of my 03.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    I own a 1903 and an 03-A3 and I agree they are great rifles. I haven't gotten a chance yet to shoot my MkIII but I'm excited to shoot it and compare it to the accuracy and function of my 03.

I need to get mine out also... there might be a difference in actually firing then working the action. And you are so right about 1903's are great. I wish I didn't have to sell mine.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Wire wrapping the forestock started with the launching of rod grenades in WWI. As can be expected, rod grenades put a lot of stress on the action and early GL rifles frequently had their forestocks shatter. So the British first bound the forestock with whip cord and later with steel or copper wire. A re-enforcing through bolt was added for additional strength at some point.The photo I posted earlier showed a SMLE MKI that was considered obsolete and pulled for conversion to GL using steel wire (that puppy is HEAVY).
    -Later in the war rod grenades were dropped when the launching cup was introduced for use with Mills bombs but SMLE forestocks were still wire bound and through bolted. The practice of wire wrapping British Enfields ended with the introduction of the No4.

Attachments

• nov24a.jpg
      nov24a.jpg
      3.6 KB · Views: 83
    • no3mk1_.jpg
      no3mk1_.jpg
      10.4 KB · Views: 90
    Last edited:

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    -Later in the war rod grenades were dropped when the launching cup was introduced for use with Mills bombs but SMLE forestocks were still wire bound and through bolted. The practice of wire wrapping British Enfields ended with the introduction of the No4.

Interesting you should mention this... there was one on Gun Broker with this exact setup. If I find it again, I'll post the link.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I always thought I had a cool collection but after 2 years on this forum I realize I don't have crap compared to you guys.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I always thought I had a cool collection but after 2 years on this forum I realize I don't have crap compared to you guys.

Just give it time. I've been doing this for decades. And I've never had to share the wealth with a wife or kids, just the terriers, who are cheap dates.:)

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Whats with the white numbers on the Ishy buttstocks? Are they arsenal numbers, or just there for the sake of being there?

Attachments

• Video 27 0 00 00-10.jpg
      Video 27 0 00 00-10.jpg
      23.4 KB · Views: 68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads