• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    as far as getting started, just read thru all the posts in this section, see what looks interesting, and go. i haven't been to one yet (various pistol and rifle) where beginners weren't welcome or taken care of. just make sure to keep all guns empty and cased until you talk with the event managers and discuss with them what to do.

if you say what guns and gear you have, we can help you figure out the best place to try first.

missing_the_cheese

Dec 29, 2012
    Perry Hall
    Davsco,

Well I just picked up a glock 22 and I'm looking at getting either a shotgun, either an 870 or a mossberg 500.

As for Competition, i'd like to find something that is competitive but also helps to hone "real world" self defense skills.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Davsco,

Well I just picked up a glock 22 and I'm looking at getting either a shotgun, either an 870 or a mossberg 500.

As for Competition, i'd like to find something that is competitive but also helps to hone "real world" self defense skills.

also say where you live so folks can say events near you, but i drive 1-3 hours some weekends in a radius around northern virginia.

most of the production divisions of idpa, uspsa, etc have 9mm as the minimum caliber, so shooting a little bit heavier hitting .40 will reduce your competitiveness a little (but not a lot). in uspsa you'd prob be most competitive in the limited-10 division where .40 is the minimum caliber. both these events are a ton of fun (running and shooting) but also let you hone great shooting and accuracy skills.

again read thru all the posts here for gear selection (holster and mag pouches) as well as the different types of comp's and where they are held.

i have been doing this for several years now and absolutely dread going to a boring, static range.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ditto for me too Dave. The only thing I shoot standing still is steel. If its paper either I have to be moving or the paper has to. Probably why I like 3-gun/multigun after only 2 events. After that USPSA and IDPA become more like practice for multigun.
    Also you have to be able to make consistant head shots for zombie matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom