• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Stumbled on this last night. YouTube guy set up a series where random people can get invited to come shoot at a 1,000 yard target. They get 10 shots to hit a 10 inch target. Lots of different kinds of folks and lots of different kinds of rifles. Not a lot of bells and whistles to this series, but it's pretty entertaining. Shooting long range is pretty addicting. Can't wait to get around to trying 1,000 yards myself. He's up to 5 episodes now I think, but this is the first one. In the last episode, a guy shows up with a Moisin Nagant.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    This year at camp perry long range, I dialed 14 moa up from my 600 yard zero, 2.75 moa of left wind and broke a good shot from the sling. X- first sighter on a 10" x ring. Not bad from a cold bore.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Target 96
    IMG950207(1).jpg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    This year at camp perry long range, I dialed 14 moa up from my 600 yard zero, 2.75 moa of left wind and broke a good shot from the sling. X- first sighter on a 10" x ring. Not bad from a cold bore.
    Much respect! That's some German Salazar work right there.
    I don't have a rifle that would do that.
    Not a difficult problem to fix. Ask doggyjacket. He just shot a 2"x3" group at 400yds on his first poke over 200. He'll have no trouble drilling a grand.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Much respect! That's some German Salazar work right there.

Not a difficult problem to fix. Ask doggyjacket. He just shot a 2"x3" group at 400yds on his first poke over 200. He'll have no trouble drilling a grand.
    My longest range rifle would likely be a BCM AR with a 20 inch barrel. I sold off all of my larger stuff because I had nowhere to shoot it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My longest range rifle would likely be a BCM AR with a 20 inch barrel. I sold off all of my larger stuff because I had nowhere to shoot it.
    My coworker is regularly drilling 12in plates at 600 with his 14.5" carbine. JP barrel and a Vudu 1-10. With some spotting support he can make hits on IPSCs out to 900 or so but they are typically not first round.

I can do a grand with a 20" 223 bolt gun (SAAMI compliant chamber) on a calmer day. The 26in 223 I did for my buddy enjoys the benefits of higher velocity (partly the barrel length and partly the LONG throat, NOT SAAMI compliant, optimized for seating 75 to 90gr bullets) and he's taken it out to around 1100. Especially with the newer crop of low drag 224 pills, you can take.the small bores further than ever.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Its a Tikka T3 receiver. 30" Krieger 7.75 twist 6.5 Creedmoor. Factory trigger. Elesio chassis. Pushing a 140 berger at 2900 fps. March 10-60x scope.

Attachments

• IMG959478.jpg
      IMG959478.jpg
      340.2 KB · Views: 46

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    He had a guy on for the 3rd or 4th round that did it with a Mosin in 4 shots I think. Plenty of guys show up with 5k$ rigs and can’t get a hit in 10. It looks like the biggest issue is spotting your own misses to make adjustments. It’s pretty flat and windy in Texas.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'd like to give it a go with my 260, so far the farthest I've been able to get out to is only 600 at New Holland for a Mid-range F-class a few years back.

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    If you don't have the dope written on a card file rubber banned to the buttstock you may miss the first time or 2. Or a good spotter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom