• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    My 10 year old son is very interested in shooting so much so that I think he would be interested in shooting competitions. Are there any local teams in Carroll county for small bore or other competitive rifle disciplines?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My 10 year old son is very interested in shooting so much so that I think he would be interested in shooting competitions. Are there any local teams in Carroll county for small bore or other competitive rifle disciplines?
    Fredneck county had 4h shooting sports. Chuck farmer ran it. Great guy, especially with a shotgun. I ended up coaching a guy who came up through that program when he wanted to shoot rifle seriously. I can't find chucks number and I haven't seen him in a few years, but I suspect that the program is still active.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Check out Arlington Rifle and Pistol Club, one of the biggest clubs of the Associated Gun Clubs.
    They have a big Juniors program, and of course, the AGC range is ten minutes from Eldersburg.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Am I the only one who read the title and thought this was going to be another Eruby poll?

fogman

Check out Carrol County 4-H. They should have a smallbore program as well as archery and shotgun. Damascus Isaac Walton League has a Sporter and Precision air rifle program(DARC). Howard County 4-H Bullseye Club has smallbore rifle, archery and shotgun. Both Arlington and Stemmer's Run have juniors programs shooting air rifle and Smallbore. Stemmer's shoots Sporter and Precision class. Arlington concentrates on Precision.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    AGC has an SASP team for grades 3-12. It's going to spool back up for the season on Sunday March 28th, and then practices on Wednesday evenings and some Sundays until about September. While the focus of the team is obviously on SASP - which is a stand-and-deliver Steel Challenge-esque sport - I do try to give the athletes some more interesting challenges on Sundays to try to prepare them for more active sports like IDPA and USPSA. (That said, there is no drawing from a holster, because the team insurance isn't going to cover that.) The kids do well enough shooting PCC and Rimfire Rifle at AGC Falling Steel matches, too.

I coach the team, so PM or email if you're interested. The equipment necessary to start is pretty moderate - 10/22 and five 10rd mags.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Arlington rifle and pistol at AGC has a great Jr team.

Regularly send several athletes to Jr Olympics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Did you ever find anything? I can see my 10 year old daughter and 14 year old son being interested in this too. They are bugging me to take them shooting, but that probably isn't going to happen until this summer and it will most likely be at Littlestown.

I was just looking at the high school competitive trap shooting thread and I can see my 14 year old son getting into that next year as a freshman in high school. CCGC is just down the road from us too.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Did you ever find anything? I can see my 10 year old daughter and 14 year old son being interested in this too. They are bugging me to take them shooting, but that probably isn't going to happen until this summer and it will most likely be at Littlestown.

I was just looking at the high school competitive trap shooting thread and I can see my 14 year old son getting into that next year as a freshman in high school. CCGC is just down the road from us too.

It’s been some time now, but thurmont conservation and sportsman’s assoc used to have a very active youth trap program. Believe it was a Frederick 4-H group.

Arlington RPC at AGC has at least 4 hrs heading to the Jr Olympics in air rifle and smallbore. Very good program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowieite

Sep 22, 2013
    Undisclosed Location
    I had to jump into this thread and provide my two cents. If you are looking for a HS Trap Team start one at your kids HS! Before you say "that's never going to happen in MD", it already has happened. I'm the Head Coach of the 1st Public School in Maryland to have a Trap and Skeet Team. I am still working hard to expand the teams to other schools. I'd be happy to provide some guidance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom