• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nosce Hostem

MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2016
    Northern Balt. County, MD
    Heading up to York this week to pick up my PA CCW, was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good places to stop and patron while up there.

Looking to find some normal capacity magazines and just generally check out different places.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Atlantic Tactical is in the northern part of the county, PD supply co has the best price on GLOCK and Sig mags around, they stock Pmags too. The shops down by the MD line are hella expensive.

Nosce Hostem

MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2016
    Northern Balt. County, MD
    If you don’t mind driving just a bit west, hit the Rural King in Hanover.
    I don’t mind, took the day off anyway to make a day if it with the kiddos.

Visit the Bob Hoffman Hall of Fame, if still open
    I’ve always wanted to stop, see their sign for the retail store every time I head up, never pulled the trigger to check it out

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Glad I saw this thread picking up my PA permit this afternoon on a return trip from CT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    If you are taking I-83 north, the gun bunker in shrewsbury.
    I live within walking distance of this store and would drive 100 miles to go to any other gun store first.

They are offensively expensive and the staff isn't very welcoming.

Freedom Armory in Glen Rock is pricey as well but the staff is wonderful. The store is full of non firearms (clothing, gear, holsters, optics, etc) as well so MD residents will have plenty you can buy without transferring to a MD FFL.

There is a place called Carbon and Steel in West York. Prices are good. The staff is amazingly friendly. Their inventory can be a bit lacking on new stuff but they are always full of surplus and consignment gear. Ammo shelves are always full and not unreasonableably priced

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I live within walking distance of this store and would drive 100 miles to go to any other gun store first.

They are offensively expensive and the staff isn't very welcoming.
    I too am close by, but only visit occasionally and quickly remember why once I start browsing. Staff was ok for me, but yeah, I am shocked at the asking prices on most of their inventory.

I like to help a local small business, but when I can pay shipping, transfer, and still come out $200+ ahead, there's no way I can justify paying their price.

Any recomedations more north like Harrisburg. I go this way, maybe prices are more reasonable, or not worth the drive?
    Check out Lanco Tactical in Elizabethtown. Trop too, as mentioned, is in the area and not too bad.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    I too am close by, but only visit occasionally and quickly remember why once I start browsing. Staff was ok for me, but yeah, I am shocked at the asking prices on most of their inventory.

I like to help a local small business, but when I can pay shipping, transfer, and still come out $200+ ahead, there's no way I can justify paying their price.
    When I first moved to PA I walked in there to ask about carry pistols. I am not new to handguns but knew nothing about what made a good carrt gun.

They were dismissive and only wanted to know my budget. I said I don't know my budget. I need to know what a decent carry gun costs.

They said they couldn't help me without knowing my budget. So I said $300 (random number pulled out of thin air) and I got chastised for thinking I could get an accurate reliable carry gun for $300. Dude was sitting in the back working on some project and wouldn't even get up to come talk to me.

And I'm like....okay...we are making progress. $300 is too low. Cool. So what would I need to spend to get a reliable carry gun? Now they pulled out a P365 with a $765 price tag. (Stock model. Rural King is offering them for $400 right now.)

I knew $500 was the going rate for a P365. Then I asked about .22lr rifles good for teaching my kids on. Dude pulled a dirty used Ruger 10 22 off the rack and says it runs $450.

I just walked out.

Since then I have heard other people tell me this exact same story. Right down to the "You tell me how much I need to spend" part.

I left the Gun Bunker and went to Freedom Armory and while their prices are high (not as high but still irrationally high) their sales team gave me a complete lesson in carry gun options. I even started out by saying I wasn't buying today and was just starting my research. They didn't care that they weren't making a sale that day. They gave me undivided attention and explained everything I needed to know about price point vs reliability on carry guns, size, etc....

Still REALLY pricey at Freedom Armory. Their P365 was just north of $600

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom