• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sourbeer

Jul 26, 2012
    montana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9bcz9Kv5Ng

What a good time. This was our first real match for the 3 of us and we had a blast. We learned plenty and will be doing more. Need to get a couple more guns for our team and sort out some of the equipment issues that we had as well.

please send along comments to Ethan by email to: saubierethan@gmail.com

He is working hard to put together these videos and is hoping to hear from people on what they would like to see so that he can continue to improve.

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    Ethan, I think that is your best yet. York is honored to have you.
    I love that intro/conclusion. I think you have captured the spirit of the event.

Thank you

sourbeer

Jul 26, 2012
    montana
    equipment

I'll offer some suggestions but keep in mind that I am relatively new but will offer what we are using and what we find to be effective and useful. Ethan is preparing equipment reviews and will be posting a video on our shotgun this week.

For shotguns, we are using a CZ 712 utility version which comes from the factory with a 20" barrel and can easily be converted to an effective 3 gun shotgun by simply adding a +4 extension tube (Nordic Components) is what we have done to ours so far. I also added a simple fiber optic front sight that simply clamps onto the vented rib of the barrel. When we first got the gun, it was tested with Remington shotshells and cycled them fine. We had gotten some Winchester shells for the first match and it was struggling to feed them during the match. I was able to get some other shells for the match and it cycled them fine. I have since cleaned the gun and tested with a variety of shells and was not able to duplicate the cycling difficulty even when using the same Winchester shells that it choked on during the first match. I think that it was just getting broke in but will be careful of the shells that I use in a match moving forward. My brother got a Benelli M2 with a 21" barrel which seems to be a very popular choice but at $1200.00 it is also almost 3 times more expensive than the CZ and I'm having a difficult time finding that much value when shooting the 2. I like the benelli a lot, it is a very well made gun, shoots very nicely and it is easy to see why people like them. It has also been flawless in operation so far. I think with the shotguns, the user will be the weakest link. A lot of practice for loading is going to be a lot more important than the gun itself so long as the operator can effectively shoot the gun after it is loaded with 8 shells. I am going to focus on my loading technique and practice vs the shooting aspect for the shotgun anyhow.

For carbines, I went with the most common platform which is the AR15. I would say that 90% of carbines on the line are AR15 type guns chambered for the .223. I built my own with components but I'd offer that using an 18" barrel with rifle length gas system, a good muzzle brake (compensator) and a full length (15") free float tube (forearm) seem to be considered standard in this sport. There are exceptions but I chose the above. A good trigger is important, I chose a Geissele 3 gun trigger and it is superb. Optics, low magnification is important as you will engage targets at short distance where 1x or 1.25x is good to have. My scope is a Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4x with 30mm tube and Leupold Mark 2 IMS mounting system is very good. Burris also makes a very good option.

Handguns - I personally use a CZ SP01 Shadow Target but have not seen a lot of these used locally. It is a terrific gun. My son uses a Glock 34 which is also terrific but required some trigger work to make it competitive. My brother is shooting a Springfield XDM 5.25" 9mm that also received trigger work. I have shot both the Glock and Springfield and find them very comparable. These would both be a good choice and seem very popular in this type of shooting. I like my CZ but it costs a good bit more than the XDM or the G34.

Other equipment that you will need: holster, belt, mag pouches, shot shell holders, etc. All of these things can add up, going to a match to see what others are using has been good for us to see and try before buying.

I am no expert by any means, I am learning what works best for us. My son and 2 brothers are all gearing up and shooting a lot. We have received a lot of help and have had the opportunity to borrow guns to try. The folks that we have met at York have really helped us come up the learning curve without feeling bad for being "new". They are very welcoming which is a big deal when trying to get started. I was concerned at showing up to shoot a match without "knowing what I was doing". They are very accommodating and keep new shooters safe, while providing assistance to new shooters. The fun shoots that they hold every 2 weeks are very helpful and we have been to almost all of them. You can see videos on a lot of these that we have posted to see what they are like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom