• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Ah yes, even as I'm downsizing I cannot say no to something that had eluded me for many years. The Simpson/BSW 625 series (625, A, B and C versions) seemed to be unobtanium for me. Then two of them pop up on GB recently but I was not a fan of the asking prices, a bit rich IMHO. So then what do I find in the last Redding general firearm auction from last Sunday? Yup, a late 625b showing features of both the B and C versions. I was fortunate in that the bulk of the auction catalogue was sporting and modern arms, not much to entice military arms competitors to attend. And so I put in a firm bid and was pleasantly surprised to get it for $100 under my max bid and $2-300 under the GB listed examples (which weren't as nice as this one anyway).
    -There were about 14,000 of the 625b built, the most numerous of the 625 series. The design work was started in the late 20's with production starting in the early 30's. The B version came about as a result of the SA actively looking for a training rifle that matched the new K98k in handling. The DSM was on the drawing boards but wouldn't start production for another year so the 625b got a bit of a head start. Esp. when Walther withdrew the Sportmodell from competition for the SA as it was too expensive. The 625B was much simpler to produce compared to the both the DSM34 and the Sportmodell, much to the liking of the SA. Plus it proved to be a very accurate rifle.
    -But the DSM was the chosen rifle and while Simpson begrudgingly built it along with the 625b, they never stopped trying to carve out a place in the SA for it. What's ironic is that the DSM34 was a bit of a failure in that after it was adopted the SA publicly made it known that they weren't that happy with it. Thus the foundation for the ultimate German .22 trainer, the KKW, was laid.
    -While reading up on 625b in Bob Simpson's reference book I saw a reference to weights being added to the buttstocks of some 625s and I decided to take a gander under the buttplate after hefting the rifle and feeling it was a bit butt heavy. Sure enough, found the stock had been drilled and a ferrous rod added. With the Simpson reputation for quality and the 625's reported accuracy I'm looking forward to shooting this one!
    IMGP9887.JPG

IMGP9891.JPG

IMGP9889.JPG

IMGP9890.JPG

IMGP9892.JPG

IMGP9888.JPG

IMGP9893.JPG

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That does look to be in really nice shape!
    It's funny how stuff seems to pop up in clusters.
    Indeed. Got out bid on the German air rifle and I'm shocked at myself because I'm comfortable letting it go. Just so much purchased in the last month and only so much cash available. There's so much on the secondary market that was buried deeeeep in collections for over 50 years. Case in point: the Redding 3 day Civil War auction that finishes up today. The story I got from Pat Redding is that it's ONE collection from a collector who was part of a legacy family in Baltimore City. He had his THREE story home packed from basement to attic with stuff. Took his staff a considerable amount of time to clear it all out. The newer parts of it sold last summer in the WWI/WWII focused auction in July, the one where I sold some of my collection and got the nice Weimar Navy Luger. There was an impressive pile of collector grade 1911s and I strongly suspect they came from this very collection. Pat told me that much of what they took out in smalls were all wrapped in 60s and 70s dated newspaper. So we're talking items purchased over 50 years ago and squirrelled away until now. That's what's hitting the market, stuff that younger collectors have never seen before.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'll be doing a write up on the 10x Unertl I got with this 625b, showing how I restore the reticle. Another good buy. Plus I really enjoy a good restoration project. Love working with my hands. I was on the track to a BS in mechanical engineering but I found that I loved working with my hands so much that I punted and ended up with a AS EE degree that let me split my time between design and building prototypes/production examples. That experience working with miniature components will come in handy on the Unertl!

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I have one of those BSW Suhl 22 trainers that I found in a pawn shop. Must have been a house fire because of the soot all over the rifle. It cleaned up pretty well and is a good shooter.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I have one of those BSW Suhl 22 trainers that I found in a pawn shop. Must have been a house fire because of the soot all over the rifle. It cleaned up pretty well and is a good shooter.
    Photos! Would love to see which version you have as the 625 was seemingly in flux for much of its roughly 10 yr production period. Lots of changes.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I have not opened up the butt plate to see if there is any weighted lead.

Attachments

• IMG_9360.JPG
      IMG_9360.JPG
      26 KB · Views: 47
    • IMG_9361.JPG
      IMG_9361.JPG
      36.4 KB · Views: 47
    • IMG_9362.JPG
      IMG_9362.JPG
      45.3 KB · Views: 50
    • IMG_9363.JPG
      IMG_9363.JPG
      39.4 KB · Views: 50

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Very interesting. Your SN is def. older than mine yet yours has the later BSW logo on the receiver. While mine has the earlier Simpson logo. Both of ours have the later DSM type feed port and front sight.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    OK. I’m getting really tired of this.

Here’s the deal, mawkie. You will scour MDS and compile pictures of all of your trainers and descriptions of said trainers.
    You will then go to Shutterfly and make an MDS Coffee Table picture album.

You will sell them to us.

I am now holding my breath until this happens…so hurry up! ;)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    OK. I’m getting really tired of this.

Here’s the deal, mawkie. You will scour MDS and compile pictures of all of your trainers and descriptions of said trainers.
    You will then go to Shutterfly and make an MDS Coffee Table picture album.

You will sell them to us.

I am now holding my breath until this happens…so hurry up! ;)
    So nice to know I'm keeping you up at all hours of the night thinking about a Training Rifle Coffee Book. Hopefully it's keeping you out of trouble. Do you want to be my editor?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I'll be doing a write up on the 10x Unertl I got with this 625b, showing how I restore the reticle. Another good buy. Plus I really enjoy a good restoration project. Love working with my hands. I was on the track to a BS in mechanical engineering but I found that I loved working with my hands so much that I punted and ended up with a AS EE degree that let me split my time between design and building prototypes/production examples. That experience working with miniature components will come in handy on the Unertl!
    Ive a small bit of .0006 wire available if you need any.
    Vickery's book has good info for making tools and or methods for the work shop/ basic scope repair.
    The ocular side of some scopes isn't too bad an area to operate in.
    Non caffeinated products 20 minutes prior, at least for me isn't a bad idea either.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    So nice to know I'm keeping you up at all hours of the night thinking about a Training Rifle Coffee Book. Hopefully it's keeping you out of trouble. Do you want to be my editor?
    The only thing truly keeping me up all hours of the night is, “mawkie & downsizing” being used in the same sentence!!!!!!

This hurts my collecting SOUL!! My idol is not allowed to slow down yet :D

I sure hope I at least get a shot at one of your Mosins or SVT’s before being sent off to auction land! I need to be able to say this specific firearm came from the Mawkie Collection!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That I can do. The SVT is in the back of the safe and I have only started to let go of the entry level Finns. The good stuff will be heading to new homes in the upcoming years. I specifically held onto the M27 in the 91/30 stock this go-around to give you first right of refusal. There are about 3-4 M28/30s I'll be letting go of (hanging onto one of them just because it's my favorite Finn to shoot). Then there are the two Czech 91/38s converted from Cossacks that I know you're fond of.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    That I can do. The SVT is in the back of the safe and I have only started to let go of the entry level Finns. The good stuff will be heading to new homes in the upcoming years. I specifically held onto the M27 in the 91/30 stock this go-around to give you first right of refusal. There are about 3-4 M28/30s I'll be letting go of (hanging onto one of them just because it's my favorite Finn to shoot). Then there are the two Czech 91/38s converted from Cossacks that I know you're fond of.

Please keep me in mind for the SVT, M27, and one of the 91/38s.

I really need an SVT I can shoot! None of the others I own will see a rifle range while in my possession ;)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Absolutely! The SVT was a favorite of mine at the range. Post range cleaning, not so much. But you do what you have to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom