Yet another AR question - check headspace?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I picked up a PSA lower w/o the bcg and someone at work said I should check the headspace to make sure the bolt fits the barrel assembly? The interwebs has conflicting info on whether this is necessary - oh noes ur gonna die if you do/don't - but can anyone tell me if this is a real function check, or a way to sell more tools?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's a real check, and one that shouldn't be casually dismissed at times.

Excessive headspace can cause issues.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Do you mean an upper?

In theory any name brand bcg should be in spec and work fine. But I am not a gunsmith.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If brand new parts are being used it shouldn't be an issue. However it's your rifle and your face at risk.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    In theory, for brand new parts it shouldn't be an issue - on my last build, we didn't do a true headspace check, we just took it to the trap and let it rip. But a quick inspection of the spent casings told all that was needed.

With that said, you should be OK, but I'd check your spent casings for any obvious signs (when it's done of course) and proceed accordingly.

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    As always - thanks for the quick replies! I watched the brownells video on checking headspace - so it is basically to check the bcg/bolt doesn't go too far forward or sit too far back? How would the spent casing show either or what am I looking for on the casing? I do try to google (and searches specifically for this site) for answers but direct questions are usually answered faster and more accurate than what I find....

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Blown out primers can be a sign of excessive headspace, along with case-head separation, IIRC. I'm not the best one to answer that question since some people here have forgotten more than I know about these types of things.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    I picked up a PSA lower w/o the bcg and someone at work said I should check the headspace to make sure the bolt fits the barrel assembly? The interwebs has conflicting info on whether this is necessary - oh noes ur gonna die if you do/don't - but can anyone tell me if this is a real function check, or a way to sell more tools?

Is it needed? Not really. Is it nice to do? Sure.

Do I do it? Yep annually and every 1K rounds.

Use the USGI Field Gauge. The USGI version of the tool doesn't require you to disassemble the bolt (making it quick & easy to use) and is properly sized for a 5.56 chamber. Using commercial .223 field gagues can FAIL a perfectly good 5.56 due to differences in the tolorances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom